What can I do with a nonrefundable ticket?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Beachgirl07, Jul 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Beachgirl07

Beachgirl07 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I just sent in a request with AirFrance to a ticket refund that is $1,800. I am just going to
    wait it out and see what they say. I really wanted to talk to someone over the phone to ask them
    a few questions but that was difficult. I guess Delta handles the reservations and all requests are
    done online.? Any helpful advise. Thank You.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Google Air France ticket refund, they would offer some good guide lines.

Best of Luck.

Flyer1976 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is slightly misleading information IME. I have a bit of personal experience with this, with a few different transactions during the last year.

First, AF tickets issued in the US are DL/006 tickets NOT AF/057 tickets. That means the refund will be processed by delta, not Air France. Air France cannot and does not do any refund, modification or reissuance directly for 001 tickets in the normal course of business. So, you can contact DL. If you're DL Elite call the DL Elite line and they'll assist you with their usual grace. if not I do not know. However, check your ticket and ensure that the ticket number begins with 006, the Delta IATA code. If it is 057 you'll need to contact Air France in France for resolution, which works as described in the online AF data.

If perchance you've modified anything regarding your ticket outside the US you'll have a mess because they must reconcile the 006, 057 and whoever made the change. Based on your post I'm guessing that did not happen so it will be a simple DL process.

However, if this is indeed a nonrefundable ticket Air France will not refund a 057 ticket. DL/006 is generally quite rigid about that too. Both will follow the precise rules published for your fare code, so it is good to look at that yourself. Usually there is a change fee, but absolutely no refunds! Even if you've a medical emergency they normally will not make a refund nor will they waive the change fee. If you're DL Diamond or FlyingBlue Platinum they might waive the change fee if you've a certified medical emergency but I'd not hold my breath.

ffitalia likes this.
  5. marianparlors

marianparlors New Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you can trash them all. It is still useless if you're gonna make use of them when it is outdated.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. howtofreetravel

howtofreetravel Active Member

Status Points:
    Wait for a schedule change if you got time then you can cancel for free

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it is an unused ticket, the airline will normally refund any taxes included in the unused portion. That's actual taxes, not carrier assessed fees such as fuel surcharges or other YQ.

The reason is that the money was never intended to be kept by the airline, but rather the airline collected it to pass on to the taxing authority, and if it wasn't paid to the taxing authority the airline has no legal right to keep the money. It's usually refunded as a credit to the card the fare was charged to.

It may not be $1800, but at least it's something.

If the date of the flight has not passed, and sometimes even if it has, some carriers (I don't know about Air France) will allow you to apply a portion of the value (after a change or cancellation fee or something similar is deducted) to a new ticket, but often the new ticket must also be non-refundable.

jbcarioca and blackjack-21 like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air France, nearly unique among major carriers IME, will upgrade a non ref ticket to a refundable one. For some FB Elites at least they will not charge the cancellation fee when one does that. However, that does mean moving to a higher fare class. Also for AF, many C and F seated tickets are discounted and restricted, so those fees can be substantial. I do not know how they treat non-FB Gold Elites because that is the status with which i have done that, most recently four days ago.

I have no experience with the refund of taxes. I am surprised to hear that one, although your logic is impeccable, Counsellor.

Counsellor likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP doesn't say but I suspect that this is a relatively expensive coach TATL RT. Nonrefundable means that you cannot get your money back, as a credit to your original form of payment, but you can usually get credit toward a future flight after payment of a change fee of about $250-500. The credit must be used within a year, so check it's conditions carefully. However, the cheaper discounted TATL coach tickets exEU (but NOT exUSA in general) tend to also be absolutely unchangeable too. If you state your route and fare code, people here might be able to guess or look it up, but the definitive rules are in the exact rules for your fare code that were in place when the ticket was purchased.

If the ticket was purchased through a travel agent, you need to contact them They are likely to impose additional fees and maybe additional rules too.

Counsellor and Newscience like this.