What can I do in a rebooked flight situation?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by OceanTrotter3, Nov 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping to have a smooth trip getting from IND to CGK (through NRT), but with the runway in ORD reduced to one, that doesn't seem possible now.

After a long conversation, the agent who was very helpful, got me rebooked on an alternative route (through DOH). It adds 7 hours to the trip, which is still acceptable given the situation.

The original routing was:
    ORD - NRT AA 153
    NRT - CGK AA 8499 (JAL 729)

And the new routing is:
    ORD - DOH QR 726
    DOH - CGK QR 958

I have a couple of questions with what I can do in this situation.
    1) I was planning on using AA miles for upgrade on AA 153; now that I'm 'protected', I can only be rebooked on QR's flight #, does this mean I can not use AA miles to upgrade on this flight even if its a codeshare?

2) Will I be able to get credit on my original flight routing?

Thanks!

2. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    To my knowledge you can't upgrade a QR flight with AA miles. As for the original routing credit you can always ask. If you haven't abused that in the past they may or may not give it to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely no upgrades on QR metal; at least the QR Y product is decent.

The new routing is actually more miles than the old one. So unless you really want MMer credit for the 10k-ish points I'd keep the new miles earnt.

4. tpylate

tpylate New Member

Status Points:
    I accrue AA miles but live in Doha, so I always fly QA on my first leg to the states. Being Platinum, I have a lot of miles I'd love to use to upgrade. However, it's just not possible. QA is a great carrier but they cater to their own. The best thing you can do is try to get yourself in an emergency exit row. Good luck!

flyforawg likes this.
  5. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This might be out of scope for this thread, but how would ORC apply in this situation? I have read about 'double-dipping', but am not sure how that would work.