What can I do from LGA airport??

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Hollywood2468, Sep 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Hollywood2468

Hollywood2468 Active Member

Status Points:
    Long story but I will be in La Guardia airport from 12AM until my flight which takes off at 6AM any ideas? I don't have luggage but I don't really want to spend the night hanging out in bars. Is there anything that I can do in the 4 hours (I want to be back at the airport within 2 hours of take off)?

TIA

TravelBear and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    sleep at one of the hotels across the street? NYC is a 24 hour town, but I'm not sure I'd want to go sightseeing there at 2 a.m.

boondr and TravelBear like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take cab into the city and go for a run?

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finding a cab at that hour in my experience can be hard. I would go with Gargoyles suggestion. Getting in/out of NYC and actually doing something worthwhile in 4 hours I wouldn't even consider unless I had to. If there was a train/subway it might be different.

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    What day of the week? On a weekend it might be easier to find something going on.

Nearby neighborhoods that might be interesting (I haven't been to them at that time of the day!) are Flushing Chinatown and Astoria. Both are about 10 minutes from the airport by cab. Restaurants in Chinatown might still be open, and there's great, great food there. One of my favorites, which is quite a small place, says it's open until 12:30am, maybe larger places are open later.

If it's a weekend and you wanted to take a cab to lower Manhattan plenty will be going on until 3 or 4 (bars close at 4am in New York). I'd try the lower east side.

canucklehead and bigx0 like this.
  6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LarryInNYC has good suggestions. I'm pretty sure there are good Flushing restaurants, both Latin and Asian, open 24 hours.

In you really gotta "do Manhattan", taking a cab into Manhattan wouldn't cost too much and you'd certainly find food, drink and groceries. While you COULD go as far as Times Square or the Lower East Side, I'd keep it simple -- the Upper East Side, let's say in the 80's or 90's, is really pretty close to LGA and has plenty of action of the less touristy type. Need a beer? 3rd Avenue Ale house (92nd st) or Pony bar (75th st and 1st ave) come to mind but it's just two places open late out of dozens within a mile or so.

7. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be quicker to take a taxi via midtown tunnel and head for 'curry hill' if you like Indian food. Try the well know haandi at 28th and Lexington open til 4 am

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or better yet grab a taxi and head to the Carnegie deli. Open til 4 am. World famous pastrami sandwiches. Ya won't hafta eat for a month! 55th and 7th ave. plus you will get to see some of the city on the way in and out. And you can buy a t-shirt! Www.carnegiedeli.com. And don't forget to order an egg cream. Only in NYC

avflyer and bigx0 like this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I was about to suggest Stage Deli but when I went to Google their hours, I found out they closed. :(

First, H&H, then Stage Deli. I really need to find some new places. Still haven't found a new bagel shop I like as much as the H&H beside the Intrepid.

10. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    For bagels NOTHING beats essa bagel on 21st and 1st!

11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not in NYC anymore but I think they really went downhill toward the end. After trying them again after not going there for a while I was pretty shocked a couple of years ago how bad they were and how poor the service was. I guess with the courts breathing down their necks and their imminent demise they had little incentive to do anything nicely.

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    H&H or Stage?

13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, H&H

14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I goto flushing 2x/3x a year & yes a lot of places are open to eat late though I dont think its 24hrs. Also once you're done eating what are you gonna do? The other suggestions of going into Manhattan seem much more pleasant & would kill time

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I agree the service blew. But I haven't found a consistently better bagel in Manhattan yet. I've had better bagels in NY but when I come to town it's generally Manhattan and I don't have time to visit other old haunts.

16. joeheg

joeheg Silver Member

Status Points:
    We read about the Stage Deli closing and were a bit sad. It wasn't the best deli and the service wasn't the greatest but it was in the Theater District and was suitable for a former NYC'er to to get a decent corned beef sandwich. Now if we had time, we'd go to Katz's again, but that's a different thread.

17. joeheg

joeheg Silver Member

Status Points:
    We only visit 1-2 times a year to see shows. Previous NJ and Staten Island (for the Mrs.) We just like to get a NYC bagel anywhere that is 1000x better than what they have in Florida.

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I like Katz's as well. Stage and Carnegie were/are, as you say, not necessarily the best deli or service, just someplace we frequented for years (decades) when in Midtown for a solid breakfast or lunch.

19. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also 2nd ave deli which of coarse no longer on second ave.