What can be done with SkyMiles and Miles & More?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sveta, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sveta
    Original Member

sveta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all!
    I'm relatively new to this website, and miles in general (although I had been earning them for a few years), so if this isn't the perfect place to post this question, please re-direct me.
    I got a dilemma (and who doesn't). I have 10k points on my Miles & More account, and 10K on my SkyMiles. I will be traveling overseas in about 3 months. How can I best take advantage of/maximize the miles (I know it's not much) - for hotel, car rental, etc? Is there a way to consolidate them under the same account?
    I don't have credit credit cards associated with these programs.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Freddie Listo, Horse, Cholula and 2 others like this.
  2. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi sveta. And welcome to Milepoint!

What is a Miles and More account? I'm not familiar with that but I am very familiar with SkyMiles.

And while I'm not up on the current rules and regulations concerning the SkyMiles program, many others here are and hopefully will weigh-in on your options.

Enjoy your upcoming trip.

3. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Skymiles can be used for hotel stays. Depending upon your cities, rooms can run as low as 5-6K/night... (fancier hotels are more, but there are some decent ones for low figures.).

Have a great trip.

sveta and Cholula like this.
  4. sveta
    Original Member

sveta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles & More is from Lufthansa

Freddie Listo, Traveller and Horse like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Lufthansa is in Star Alliance. Delta is Sky Team. There is cooperation within alliances, but not across from one to another. Also, moving miles from one program to another, even when possible, generally involves penalties.

The inside flyer mileage converter shows what is possible in terms of moving miles. Some credit card program miles can be moved into Delta or Miles&More, but it doesn't appear you can move them out of either program.

Some programs let you use miles for hotel stays and rental cars, and that can be a good redemption option. I don't know about Miles & More; Delta has a skymiles marketplace on their site; redemption pricing depends on your program tier- the higher level of medallion member you are, the better the options. It appears to me that, as a platinum, I'm getting rates that are half what a non-medallion could get (i.e. hotel rooms starting at 7k per night instead of 14k for non medallions).

Nominally, domestic flights start at 25k miles on Delta, but in reality, that tends to just be for locations and times that no one wants; real flights start at more like 32.5k. There are various credit card and other programs with sign up bonuses that can quickly earn you lots of miles- look in the Delta and LH forums here.

sveta likes this.