what bugs you the most in hotels? 1 -don't change sheets then they do

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by estnet, Apr 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So there are lots of problems I encounter in hotels but I really don't understand why they bother to put cards asking if your want sheets changed then ignore them. Here's my (partial) list:

1) Ignoring the card that says you don't want sheets/towels changed

2) taking towels away during turn down (when hung on rack or NOT placed where they say for replacement) AND NOT REPLACING THEM So you end up with less towels than you may need

3) smoke (cigarette or worse cigar) coming in through the ventilation/a/c ducts in non smoking room

4) replacing half used water bottles with full ones (I now know to hide the partially used ones in some hotels so I don't contribute more than I need to to the Pacific garbage dump)

5) hair dryers that cannot be plugged in anywhere near a mirror

6) Staff asking why you are not traveling with family (well the other day I just said "no family" and got a shocked and sad look with an immediate apology)

2. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ooooh, I hate when Housekeeping knocks on the door (always with Do Not Disturb hanger) on checkout day before noon!

free101girl, NYCUA1K and estnet like this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I don't stay at hotels enough to have a list of peeves.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    ..and the charge for wifi will be.. :mad:

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one is especially annoying in Asia, but not only on checkout day. In their desire to be solicitous, they may overdo this one -- they want to check your water, your supply of fresh fruits and amenities in the mini-bar, change your linen even late in the evening, or simply see if you needed anything. Often it is just phone calls from housekeeping, after they had slipped multiple notices under the door informing you that they are ready to service the room any time. On the other hand, after they realize that you really do not like to be disturbed during the day, they will stop. But then if you are in the room all day with "Do not disturb" hanging outside and later leave the property (by about 8 pm), they will come in and service the room even if you did not request it...which is nice.

snap likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgot -
    Peepholes that are so high I can't see through them. Six foot people can bend down, but five foot people can't grow to see out the ones above their eye level (even on tip toe)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    every hotel: staff that are not pro customer service oriented/prompt. (as if I have a pet peeve(s), the peeve(s) can be taken care of by empowered/competent staff)

hotels where I have status: not knowing the perks of said status & not executing perks of said status
    --

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a solution for you:

[​IMG]

Available at Walmart.

9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shower heads that are too short, where do they find all those short plumbers?

Water softners that are up to high so you can't drink the water or wash the soap off your body.

Fellow guests that let the hallway doors slam shut early in the morning or late at night.

Hallway doors that have a huge gap under them so the hallway lights at too bright at night while trying to sleep. Plus let in all the noise.

Towels that smell like smoke or odd odors.

Lack of electric outlets or are located so you can't get to them.

Noisy mini fridge that cycles on or off.

Noisy ac units.

Bathroom light switches that also turn on the fan when ever the light is on.

Super bright Smoke alarm led lights shining down on the bed at night.

TV channel guides that aren't correct.

Hangers that can't be removed from the closet rod (rare luckily).

Breakfast that doesn't start until 6:30am.

Fitness centers that aren't open 24 hours. Fitness centers that are kept too hot.

Service or delivery charges on top of 22% gratuities on already overpriced room service food.

10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I hate the most is a weak water pressure in the shower.

free101girl likes this.
  11. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must be hard to please you. ;)

12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    ROFLMAF

13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shower heads that are too short, where do they find all those short plumbers? - maybe the opposite place of where they find the TALL peephole people:p

Hallway doors that have a huge gap under them so the hallway lights at too bright at night while trying to sleep. Plus let in all the noise. - YEP

Lack of electric outlets or are located so you can't get to them.- absolutely

TV channel guides that aren't correct.

Breakfast that doesn't start until 6:30am. - well my complaint is the opposite ends at 9 or 9:30

Service or delivery charges on top of 22% gratuities on already overpriced room service food - !!!!!!.

daninstl and Mapsmith like this.
  14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

On the breakfast, I hate breakfast stopping at 9 on the Weekends. Heck, if I am there on the weekend, I am probably on vacation and I might want to sleep late.

daninstl likes this.
  15. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just experienced a new one - having to crawl under the desk to plug in the hairdryer!

16. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And having to crawl under same desk to plug in computer.

17. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh.... but only if not at the same time b/c there was only 1 outlet:( Not that I'd be using hairdryer and computer at the same time, but it would be nice to leave it plugged in so I don't have to crawl the next day too!

18. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hair dryer not much of an issue for me....not much grass left on the ole playground anymore. :(

estnet likes this.