What are your thoughts (FA stays in the jump seat the entire flight)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MyTravels, May 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    1 ½ hour flight out (American Eagle), wonderful Flight Attendant, up & down the aisle very nice an professional (just one FA on the RJ).

1 ½ hour flight back (American Eagle), it was like there was not a Flight Attendant on the flight. He did a pre-takeoff check, then never got up from his jump seat the rest of the flight. The flight was a little bumpy, nothing that would impact an able-bodied adult from walking around & I didn’t hear any announcements about turbulence or that there wouldn't be beverage due to _____ (fill in the blank). Even after the announcement that the Flight Attendant would be going through the cabin for pre-landing check, he still never left the jump seat.

(No, I didn’t ring the call button to ask for a drink) I’m guessing maybe he was queasy and didn’t want to walk around? Even if that’s the case why not announce something?

What are your thoughts on why a Flight Attendant would stay in the jump seat the entire flight?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strikes me as odd, unless the flight is super short. The only thing I can think of is maybe the FA became ill during the flight?

3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    1 1/2 is approximate air-time (wheels up to touch-down) the scheduled time is over 2 hours (taxing, schedule padding, etc).

Sick is the only thing I can think of, unless it's their way of helping AA save money on beverage service :cool:

I wonder if they need to document why the beverage trays will be completely full @ arrival.

4. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious what he was doing in his jump seat...reading, daydreaming, etc my bet is he was ill but he could have been lazy

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA employee incentive program? Return with a full beverage tray three times, receive entry into the Thirsty Passenger Sweepstakes.

jmrich1432 and MyTravels like this.
  6. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't watch him the entire flight, but it seemed he was just sitting there, possibly daydreaming, but I didn't see him reading, playing with an electronic device or even going through paperwork.

7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    What would the lucky winner receive?

A case of mini-liquors of choice (that can't be consumed on the job of course).

sobore likes this.
  8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hangover?

If a FA gets ill during a flight, what are the obligations of the airline at that point?

9. homeyfour
    Original Member

homeyfour Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder too about the safety aspect. I mean, if there's a true emergency and you've got a hungover/sick/not feeling well FA, is there some risk to the passengers and/or liability to the airline? I know I wouldn't want a queasy pilot flying the plane.

10. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've run into something similar on short flights where usually soft drinks are offered. Was on one where after wheels up, the FA went into the galley area and spent the entire smooth flight rattling cans of cold drinks around, arranging them and rearranging them, but never speaking to anyone, never serving anyone, and never even coming out of the galley. When it came time to land, she closed everything up and sat down in the jump seat. In this case, I think it was an FA who wasn't concerned with customer service and just didn't want to do it.

11. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have rung the bell and asked for a beverage, just out of curiosity.

12. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am/was curious and I agree that I have the right to press the call button and ask for my beverage (or walk up to the galley), but if the FA is feeling ill & spent the entire flight in a jump seat (not the most comfortable seats), then I would prefer not to possibly aggravate their discomfort/bother them just to try to satisfy my curiosity.

Most FA's I've met are great and work hard and as a general rule I try to respect their time and acknowledge I'm not the only one on the plane. Just my 2 cents and why I didn't ring the bell.

13. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't think of any explanation for the FA's behavior when you had 1.5 hours in the air. If the turbulence was an issue, I would definitely expect a pilot announcement such as "I've asked the flight attendant to remain seated due to possible turbulence." I think I would have asked the FA or the pilot what happened on the way out.

I often wonder on very short flights (DFW-ACT, for example) why they bother with drink service. Seems to me an emergency bottle of water would be sufficient. Or at the very most, a walk through the cabin with a tray of cups of water/ice water.

gomike likes this.
  14. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you think the pilot would know if a FA skipped out on serving the cabin? (that is, if the Pilot didn't request for the FA to halt/end service)

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No, but I think he was implying he could ask if the pilot had intended for the FA to sit during the flight and didn't make an announcement.

16. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just figured that usually they (pilot and FA) both stand there together while everyone exits. If I express sympathy to the FA that he was too ill to do the beverage service, I would probably get an explanation. Or else the pilot would figure out something strange was afoot and it would be dealt with later.

So, I probably wouldn't ask directly, I'd find some passive-aggressive way to hint about it. :D

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You sound like my mother in law :D

Though I'm not sure the pilots would be keen to get the FA in trouble, from what I've seen and heard, they tend to stick together.

18. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well at least next time he could cover for the FA with a turbulence announcement. ;)

19. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    & they can split the spoils ( the refreshments they never served)? :rolleyes:

20. sparxe
    Original Member

sparxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Eh, I've taken American Eagle flights where the in-flight time is ~30 min, and I've always received beverages.

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SQ serves food in J class on SIN-KUL, which is less then ORD-DTW. I've only had one AE flight with no beverage (LAX-SAN), but on the way back I got one.