What are your most invaluable travel apps ?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by chaptwo, Jul 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chaptwo
    Original Member

chaptwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to update what I have and purge what I don't need, I'm wondering what travel apps or Apps while traveling some of you use that I may have not discovered as yet. Aside the obvious airline apps that we need for our main carriers, I'm interested to see what I might need.

Thanks

2. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like

around me
    Illumination (better for iPhone than iPad)
    Zinio
    Read it later

And if you have read any other of my posts, then you know i swear by any of the "find me" apps for misplaced, waylaid, and just plain forgotten iPad/iPhones.

jbcarioca and cordray2643 like this.
  3. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would really like to find a nice simple clock app for my iPad that let's me enter various USA cities, so I can see At a glance what time it is in Boise or Dallas or New York, etc. Most of my travel is domestic I don't care about world cities as much as I do various cities in the US. All I seem to find are world clocks :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Weather Channel App
    Priority Club App
    WN & UA Apps
    Best Alarm Clock App
    Map Quest 4 Mobile App (Voice Turn by Turn Directions 4 Free)

These are the ones that I use most often.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whistle - useful for free calls to North America from any Wifi spot in the world. This is useful for checking my voicemail from countries where it is inconvenient to get a cell phone.

Dropbox - allows me to get important documents from my desktop.

I recently downloaded Softsign. It supposedly will let me sign documents that are sent to me as email attachments, and then let me email them back. It will save me time on trips. My current method is to find a printer at a hotel, login to my email to download the attachment while hoping that there's no keylogging malware on the computer I'm using, print, sign, then ask the front desk to fedex or fax back the signed document. It's a very inefficient process. Hopefully Softsign eliminates all of this hardcopy process.

Randy Petersen and jbcarioca like this.
  6. The clock app that comes with the iPhone has exactly that function -- you can press the plus button and add a number of US cities (and world cities)' times. just FYI. It should be on the iPad

TRAVELSIG and jbcarioca like this.
  7. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had it on my touch (stolen)' but cannot find one for the iPad :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    GateGuru - its google maps / places but for airport terminals

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  9. +1 on Gate Guru.

I also love:
    TripIt
    TripAdvisor (I think it's the best app for finding good restaurants abroad)
    Google Voice (for sending texts for free)

Photo apps:
    Pro HDR
    Photogene

Those two really help make iPhone photos pop.

And an obvious choice... Google Maps. Finding yourself and using the compass feature is a must if you're wandering around. And if you don't have data when you're overseas you can cache the map view by viewing the area you want to see on WIFI before you leave the hotel.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really like Amex Travel/TripIt Pro.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use:
    • Instapaper
    • Kindle for iPhone
    • TripIt Pro
    • Continental
    • FlightAware

jbcarioca and cordray2643 like this.
  12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got Android and tend to use these while on the road:
    TripIt for managing my travel schedule
    Yelp for restaurant recommendations
    GasBuddy for cheap places to refuel the rental
    Foursquare for the Starwood 250 pt bonus ;)
    Key Ring for all my reward membership numbers
    BNET & HBR Blog my top 2 for stuff to read
    Netflix & DroidTV my top 2 for stuff to watch
    Bonsai Blast & Angry Birds my top 2 for games
    Currency Converter & XE Currency for foreign exchange

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. chaptwo
    Original Member

chaptwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the tips here. MUCH appreciated !

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love Pageonce Travel and Pageonce Pro (banking and bills) on my Android phone. The reminders for bills is invaluable and unlike TripIt you don't have to email your itinerary for it to track these. AwardWallet is a great program for tracking your mileage accounts and will be even better when they add the itinerary feature to the Android or iPad platforms.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Found my clock app for the iPad (LOVE that one, The Clock App, Version 1.6)

I also love these apps:

Dropbox
    Flightboard (amazing, real time arrival or departure boards at the airport of your choice)
    Starwalk (point up at the sky, any direction and it lets you know what constellations etc you are seeing or should be seeing)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. alfred_1986

alfred_1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hope I am not too late, visiting the forum after a short gap. Anyhow, some of my favorite travel apps include WhereTo, MapsBuddy, SimulTravel GPS, UrbanSpoon, Worldictionary, Yelp etc.. Hope you check them out and find them useful.

Cheers :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dropbox, TripIt, and Skype apps are must.

Some decent games are important too. I'm excited that Square is porting the older Final Fantasy games to the iPad...those could keep me occupied for quite a long time.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the blackberry:

Blackberry Travel
    AA Mobile App
    GasBuddy
    CX Mobile
    Google Voice
    DropBox
    AAA
    Blackberry Traffic
    RN Dining (yes I know it is still missing AA)
    Oanda Currency Converter
    FourSquare for the TopGuest checkin points
    WordPress
    Key Ring

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, it's Tripit; Kayak; the various airline apps; the clock app that comes with the iPhone; Travisa (to figure out entry requirements for various countries; a cultures app (to determine basic customs of most countries); and a currency exchange calculator app.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. alfred_1986

Status Points:
    Just I had a time to update all my fav apps and found one of my favorite travel app Worldictionary got some good updates. They are, English - Chinese off-line dictionary, Bing translation followed by Google, YouTube and Wikipedia. Mainly, the app performance has improved lot in this newly updated version.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    What an idiot I am. I have KeyRing, and have all my retail cards on it...CVS ExtraCare,etc...but never ONCE thought to put my Rewards cards on there. DUH! Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dropbox for all the PDF itineraries, bookings and copies of passports etc.
    Stanza for iPhone and Moon+ Reader for Android - to save 50lbs in weight of the books I would typically take on vacation.
    Evernote for access to all kinds of miscellaneous info I have on there.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. p787656

p787656 Active Member

Status Points:
    My favorites for iPhone:

TripIt Pro is an amazing service (and I'm a subscriber), but I prefer FlightTrack Pro as a front-end. It syncs with TripIt just like the TripIt app, but the app is a bit more refined.

OffMaps allows you to download maps of destination cities and then access your location over the 3G signal without using expensive roaming data rates outside your home country. The only reason Google Maps needs the data feed is because it's downloading the maps on demand. The GPS info is part of the 3G signal, so if you have an app that can pre-download the map for an entire city, then you can use the GPS capability of your phone for free in a foreign country. This app has saved me hundreds of dollars in foreign data fees.

Skype is a must for free web calls. However, beyond Skype-to-Skype calls, which can be difficult to arrange when you have a 12- to 14-hour time difference between you and your family and friends, purchasing Skype credits allows you to call landlines and mobile phones when your phone is on wifi. $10 worth of credits lasts me six months, and that's with regular use overseas. Much cheaper than a calling card.

GateGuru for finding restaurants and shops in airports.

World Customs and Cultures lets you read up on important cultural info before you visit a new country. This is invaluable for me as I am very often meeting for business in countries that I have never visited before, and cultural mistakes are especially bad when you have no prior relationship with a new customer.

Foodict is a giant dictionary of food terms used throughout the world, and it allows you to look up a particular menu item to see what it is. This is especially valuable for people with food allergies, but also good for anyone who wants to know in advance if they just ordered chilled monkey brain.

Dropbox has been mentioned a few times already, but I would add that it's a great place to store a PDF scan of your passport and license. Dropbox is secure, and a PDF saved in the cloud is much more universally accessible than a photocopy in your bag, which could just as easily be stolen along with your passport and everything else.

mTrip Travel Guides are the best guides I've seen on the iPhone. You enter in your hotel location and travel days, then adjust some settings to your interests, and the app produces a recommended itinerary along with times and maps. Makes Lonely Planet look like a stone tablet.

Laptop Nomad and TRAVELSIG like this.
  25. alfred_1986

Status Points:
    I heard my fav app that Worldictionary price has been decreased to $3.99. Hurry up and get your copy today! It's very worth to buy it now.