What are your greatest achievements/moments as a Frequent Flyer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by alpinesoccer, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

alpinesoccer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are your greatest achievements as a Frequent Flyer?

My top two are:
    1. Being bumped to First Class on the AF A380 from CDG-JFK last November. Wow!! that was nice for me. I was definitely half the age of everyone in First Class. [​IMG]
    2. Booking 6+ hour flight from JNB-LOS for 14,500 miles plus taxes on SAA this January.

How about you? What are greatest achievements/moments?

2. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Some years ago KLM did a promotion which matched your miles with another airline with KLM miles, if you took x flights in y days. So I spent a week fly AUS-IAH-DFW and back on CO and earned a couple of million miles. Then AF bought KLM and multipled their miles by 1.6 so I ended up with nearly 4,000,000 AF miles.
    Of course they are so expensive to use now that I've traded them in with other people, and obtained some nice sets of luggage. Great times!

Toula, PointHoarder and alpinesoccer like this.
  3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a Platinum challenge on AA a few years ago. As a result, I was able to status match to gold on DL and CO. I hit the trifecta !

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty cool!

5. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would have to say qualifying as Exec on AA to go to China...then when could not go to China on AA ....getting a status match on CO as Plat and going in Bus First direct to PEK ;) ......to get our new daughter [​IMG]!

8MiHi, jmrich1432, Toula and 6 others like this.
  6. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    My best FF experience was my first back in 2002: using InsideFlyer subscriptions to get enough SPG points to use Qantas for 2 BA Concorde tickets @ 67,500 points each (back when it was 1:2 for QF transfers). Total real cost for the pair: under $2500. Thank you Randy!

7. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being a desk bound working stiff most of life, learning how to use credit card bonuses to achieve Lifetime Gold on AA and being able to share sitting in First Class with my family for the first time was a special moment.

8. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found a stay 2 get 1 free at the Conrad in Singapore just in time
    for a SinDO (#2 or 3 I seem to recall) and sent it around to the DO
    participants. Saved people a bit of dough.

9. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Greatest moment? So many, but the first time this happened was pretty special:
    Avis.JPG

10. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't have a picture but the first time a purser came up to welcome me and my better half by name has to be the top of my.list.

SC Flier and sagefemme52 like this.
  11. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I have had many deals that my friends never believe ..... I will rank first, being able to use miles and points to take my wife to Paris and Ireland for our honeymoon, stay in nice hotels (I booked coach awards, but got the op-up on DL as a Silver DUB-ATL in J)

12. -Seeing my girl getting pampered in the new BA F
    -Sending my girl back from Indian in Jet F and listening to her tell me how they whisked her through customs and immigration on a trolley
    -Looking forward to getting my dad in business (and eventually F) for the first time
    -Hitting big with the US air track-it-back promo.

13. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being invited to AA Concierge Key.
    Able to redeem on SQ F, LH F and CX F, all long haul.
    Getting into FRA LH FCT and got 2 rubber duckies.

And after I typed the above, I realized my greatest achievement was to discover FT & MP and learned from you guys.

14. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going from no status on AA to EXP, in four months of "mad dash" mileage runs, then being an EXP for the next 18 months. Won't get there again, but it was lots of fun and adventure, and gave us many miles to continue using for trips.

flying-gal, NYC_Gal and Kaanapali like this.
  15. briadavi
    Original Member

briadavi Active Member

Status Points:
    I have to say my greatest moment was getting bumped to J on the ATL-MAD segment of a trip I had booked from a mistake fare. The flight was a little over half full, and I had paid $186 roundtrip for PHX-MAD.

I was a FO on DL at the time, had lucked out by getting the best gate agent ever.

k2o likes this.
  16. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. Lots of great moments / achievements. One that sticks out for me is back in the 90's was when there was DL International 1st class and I was flying back and forth to Germany at least once a month. I got to know some of the regular crew members and on several flights I was the only passenger in F. Guess who got all of the caviar and the better part of a bottle of Absolute to take with me when I left?

17. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ooh, I've got another one. Cashing in 130K miles (or thereabouts) per person (mrsdiver90 and I) to fly SQ F to/from Asia 3 years in a year.

18. Hodgie
    Original Member

Hodgie Active Member

Status Points:
    In the less than 3 years I've started traveling for work, I've gone from no status in any program to...

~ AA EXP
    ~ CO Plat
    ~ Priority Club RA
    ~ Hyatt Diamond
    ~ Marriott Gold
    ~ Hertz Platinum
    ~ various other programs for a year or two

I've also honeymooned in Miami, LA, Las Vegas, Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Australia (all on one award, all in first class, with suites at every hotel we stayed at... and ALL thanks to gleff's brilliant write up of how he used 600,000 some odd points in one trip)

And I've also gotten my parents into more First Classes than they could imagine (and they travel a lot too, they just travel smarter now, aka: they let me do all the work!)

And I've also... well, I could go on...

And yet, just as NYC-gal said, my greatest moment was probably the first time I clicked on a link that took my to FT, as most of this wouldn't have happened without that and more importantly the people there, many of whom I'm glad are here at MP too.

Clocktower, sagefemme52 and sc801 like this.
  19. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    After years of using WebFlyer to assist optimising my travel, one day I was bored and looked at Travel Links and saw a link to a site called FlyerTalk. When I clicked through I realised I still had so much to learn.

LXofSweden and Wandering Aramean like this.
  20. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you. I went over there just last night and read a trip report and learned about *A RTW fares in F for $7Kish minus the US components.

21. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was there a special report that you found that was new? (Egad -- not the RTW in 89 hours!)

diver90 likes this.
  22. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing too fancy here other than being upgraded from Y to C on almost every other cross Atlantic flight for the last 6 years now.

travelingmore likes this.
  23. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, here is what got me started on this miles and free travel thing:

Years ago I flew too much on Ozark Airlines in the Midwest for the U.S. Coast Guard. (Yes, the Coast Guard guards the Mississippi River and the many other navigable rivers in the Midwest.) I figured I was done with flying, and was quite happy using my vacation time backpacking in the Sierra Nevada. But then a girlfriend (currently my S.O. of 23 years) talked me into a trip to Hawaii. The fare on Continental Airlines was cheap (around $300 as I remember it), so we went over Spring break. (I was a high school math teacher at the time, so that's when we had to go.)

The return trip was on the Sunday after Easter, perhaps the heaviest traveled day on that route. Incredibly Continental downsized its plane and was seeking 20 people to bump. I volunteered, girlfriend. The gave me over $300 in credits and forced me to stay overnight in Wikiki in a first class hotel, eat good meals, take their transportation to and from the airport, and fly home in business/first class. It is amazing how much faster the flight is in that class, what with all the booze, entertainment, and good food for distractions. The were looking for bumps that Monday, but alas, grades were due and I had to fly home.

I used the cash credit for two tickets to Denver. We had a great time in our rented little red Opal crossing the Continental Divide as many times as possible. ("Dear, the sign says 4 wheel drive recommended." "Yes, dear, it says recommended, not required.") Anyway, our return trip was scheduled around noon. The day was hot, and the flight was from the old high altitude airport. They had to bump, you guessed it, 20 people to reduce the weight of the plane so they could get it off the ground. The bump offer was for a free flight to anywhere in the lower 48. I asked about the restrictions on it. They said 10 day advanced reservation. No problem. I asked if we would earn miles on the flights. Answer was yes. We accepted. They put us on the 3pm flight same day. Cool. We arrived early for that flight, as the day was still hot. Yep. Another bump, same deal. Now we are on a 5pm flight. No kidding? They want more volunteers? Yep. Alas, they eventually didn't need us, but they did fly us home first class.

Hey, this flying stuff is getting pretty good. I am getting hooked.

So we try to book our first two free flights. We then found out that that 10 day advanced reservation means no more than 10 days in advance,and that we would not earn miles on the flights. Sheez. So we waited until that time, and got our flights across the country (San Francisco to Newark) using a great deal of flexibility.

On the return flight I was describing to a flight attendant how we were lied to in Denver. She smiled and handed me a complaint form. I wrote it up and send it in. About a week later I got a phone call from Continental's vice president of customer service. I told him the story. Now this was the time just after Continental came out of bankruptcy. So they had motivation to retain customers. The V.P. was furious. He said heads will roll in Denver. He converted our remaining two tickets to full free Y class tickets to anywhere in the lower 48, and gave us a bunch of miles.

We took the Y class trip, and it also gave us miles. Now we had enough miles for still another domestic trip, which we also took. (That San Francisco to Newark flight was becoming quite familiar. We got to know the East Coast and some of Canada very well.)

Bottom line: That $300 ticket to Hawaii got me 9 flights. I was hooked.

Then the phone companies started their mega miles offers. I became very interested in miles. I retired from teaching, giving me more time than money to fly, and causing me to look for a project to fill my time. Thus my website below.

I have traveled much of the world, and intend to visit most of the rest. The only tickets for which I actually pay the cash fare are those for which the miles that would be required are more valuable than the cash. I fly business or first class for any overnight trip. I hope all of you do the same, using my website to learn how.

24. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are so many amazing moments I could never list them all.

Toward the top of the list, however, are the PIP Express that took us to the original PIP, the super cheap (about $1,000) UA biz class mistake fares to Auckland which we were able to upgrade to first on all legs of both trips, and our free flights on the Concorde right before before they were decommissioned.

For those of you who weren't around at the time, we booked the whole top deck of a 747 to fly us original FTers LAX/HNL. It was a truly original experience.

While we were in the Concorde lounge they had the most amazing wine we have ever tasted just sitting in bottles on the counter--it was pour your own. When we got to NYC and asked the guy in the wine store across the street from our condo if they Chateau Margaux 1994 he said, no but he could get it for us for about $600 or $700 a bottle. [​IMG] We had been stuck there in London for over four hours and I suspect that we each drank a whole bottle of that yummy stuff before we got on the plane.

sagefemme52 and NYC_Gal like this.
  25. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was a pax so often on a run down the Aleutian chain from ANC that I was frequently invited to occupy the jumpseat on the YS-11 that was used, also occasionally on the Electra (my avatar) on a different run. I also rode right seat on all of the (many) Goose flights I took out of DUT and KQA. No shiny card for that kind of frequent flying, but it was a blast.