What are your Favorite Wineries, Hotels, Restaurants and Activities in the Sonoma Wine Country?

Discussion in 'California' started by Lighthouse, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sonoma Wine Country from Carneros, the Sonoma Valley, Dry Creek, the Sonoma Coast is beautiful and diverse. Please share your favorite recommendations in traveling through the Sonoma wine country.

2. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Locals in downtown Geyserville is one of my favorite places for tasting.

They represent 10+ local wineries and there's no tasting fee. Sometimes there's a bit of pressure to buy, but with so many wineries represented, choosing a bottle or 2 is never a problem.

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to really like that place, and recommended it to many many people. I had an "I'm so put off I'm never going back" experience - and they found out why, and not even an apology.

http://www.frickwinery.com/ is my favorite little place, and has been for quite some time, even if my visits are only once a year or so.

4. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    While there a lot of very good restaurants in Sonoma one of our recent favorites right off the square in Healdsburg is Scopa, great Italian food reasonably priced and owned by an extremely friendly husband and wife team. Be sure to make reservations.

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday was a lovely day up there. Partly cloudy, cool and crisp, snow on some of the peaks. Spent awhile at Frick tasting most of the lineup, and bought a mixed case of various Rhone varietals (Counoise, Carignane, Grenache, some blends, Viognier) and then a case of some "clearance" table wines.

The next stop was Route 128 in downtown Geyserville. A nice little place - decent lineup of wines. The best ever? Not even close. But some pleasant wines, in a friendly little spot. Right down the block is a cool new place called Mercury. About a half-dozen selections in the tasting room, and this place has some eventual greatness potential. So, in about 3 hours - 3 stops in 3 lovely little spots, each had the winemaker and/or owner pouring the wine, totally unpretentious, and a fun time.

6. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any other restaurant suggestions?

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy the Sonoma Mission Inn although many of their rooms are small. It's nice to be able to walk around downtown a bit rather than being at an isolated country inn, of which there are some excellent ones. The pool is nice. I've had good meals here, but not competitive with the best wine country restaurants.

If you're in northern Sonoma and have the time, it's nice to drive up to Mendicino. It's less touristic and still has more or a wild west historic sense.

8. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the Sonoma Valley or the Healdsburg/Russian River Area?

9. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been there in a couple of years, but we really enjoyed eating at The Girl and the Fig on the Sonoma town square.

As for wineries, here are three recommendations. Donatiello is a newer winery that specializes in really good pinot noir and chardonnay. We stumbled upon it on a recent trip up there, and were impressed. Beautiful tasting room staffed by beautiful people (sans attitude, thankfully), and nice grounds. Fred Scherrer makes a whole range of wines- zins, pinots, whites, etc.- of high quality. Unti is fun to visit for a lot of different wine varieties, lots of opportunities to taste, including from barrel, and very nice people. It's a true family-run operation.

10. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those interested in fuller bodied red wines. I would highly recommend Robert Young, Sbragia and Stryker wineries in Sonoma.