What are you willing to give up to earn more hotel points?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by LAM, Jun 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may have to travel on a 30 day business trip staying at one hotel. I have to use negotiated rates so some of my options are limited. I can stay at a Residence Inn and have a full kitchen and free wifi in the lobby (I don't have Marriott status) or a Springhill Suites with a microwave and a mini-fridge. The other wrinkle is I may not have a rental car the entire time (budget issues) so dinning out may be difficult every night. You earn double the points at Springhill suites. I am thinking half the points would be worth having the kitchen. What are you willing to give up for more points?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

It probably depends on the location. If there is dining close to Springhill suites, I would take the double points.

3. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, look at doing the Taste of Platinum challenge during that stay. From what I understand, you will be given the Platinum perks during the challenge.

Of course the 30 days will be treated as one stay, but when you call/e-mail you can indicate that you have a 30 day stay coming up and ask for it to be based upon nights, not stays.

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would probably go for double points if there are reasonably close places to pick up some microwaveable food or eat at within walking distance. Also, consider a part time rental car to avoid a huge rental car expense. Unless you love to cook and will actually cook versus using a microwave, go for the double points.

5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd take the kitchen since dining out anywhere can easily rack up major expenses. If you can instead make one trip per week to a local grocery, you can choose your food, cook it, eat leftovers (if you're into that), and avoid increasing meal charges by paying tips. I'm a generous tipper no matter where I go, so I know a kitchen option is always cheaper for me without feeling the conflict of considering lowering tips to save money. I have tipped the same in the UK as the US, and my UK friends are always telling me it's too much (their base salary is much higher than our staff in the US). I still tip 25% or more, I guess just because it's habit.

SuperKirby likes this.
  6. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think if you as for free internet they would give it to you, booking 30days is good money to them for something minimal.

7. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Found out today if I have to go I will only have to be there for 3-5 days. Thank goodness. I really did not want to be in Little Rock for 30 days without a car in July. Will probably choose the Residence Inn because my work location is much closer to the Residence Inn.

8. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    The residence inn I stayed at, all had free wifi.

Yes. Residence inn over springhill.

9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All Residence Inns supposedly have free internet access, elite or not.

In my opinion Residence Inns are preferable and a much better value, hence the lower number of points.