What are you using for phone/tablet security?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Espan, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just thought I'd crowd source to find what's best approach for phone/tablet security when traveling.

I'm on Android. Use HMA at home and it allows me 2 simultaneous connections. However, our family gadget and WiFi needs are growing. Not sure whether to simply add another HMA account, or check in to other options.

What are your solutions?

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use TrustGo and encryption on my tablet.

Espan and uggboy like this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Hotpot Shield allows up to five devices.

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Netshade, (raynersw.com) but that only makes sense if you use a Mac too, since it's an add-on for their Mac product.

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are these necessary? If so why? I have no personal information on my tablet. I don't use it to access a corporate account or email.

vickers likes this.
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder why too. My corporate device is protected via encryption and internal security protocols. However, for personal, has there been any attempts to hack into devices? I really havent heard of any myself, but not to say its not coming. Thats like people who say Mac's dont get viruses...... I guess just not yet.

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't use a VPN for casual browsing but I consider it a necessity when you are 1) using public Wifi (such as in an airport), AND 2) doing anything involving passwords or sensitive information AND 3) doing so at a site which doesn't use a secure connection. And, even #3 can be compromised.

The problem is, when you're using public WiFi it's trivially easy for an experienced hacker-type to capture everything you're doing. In reality these people run applications in the background which automatically go through everyone's transmissions looking for things like Login and Password prompts. Here's a good example: there was a Firefox add-on available not too long ago which anyone could easily install. It would monitor the network as you went about your normal browsing business. If anyone using the same WiFi network happened to sign on to Facebook it displayed their username and password. No experience needed -- it just worked.

Since then Facebook now first tries to make a secure connection, greatly minimizing the risk. Yet, given time and a popular potentially hi-value network (airport lounge, anyone?) it's not too hard to get a network to take you to a fake, non secure Facebook (or Chase, or Delta or...). So, yeah, by my definition, VPN is a must when traveling. At home, on my own encrypted WiFi, no, I don't need or want it.

8. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank goodness I don't use Facebook! :cool:

When I say I don't have anything person on my tablet I mean it. Only blog and travel related things. I don't check bank accounts, have banking or travel apps. Just my google account, which is not my personal email.

anileze likes this.
  9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's very good, of course! Though if you log in to your airline's website, even via a mobile app, that could be putting you at risk. Probably lower risk than a lot of other things, but there definitely is a big market for stolen FF accounts.

anileze and KENNECTED like this.
  10. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not clear what people are trying to protect against here. I have a real password (not just a four digit code). On an iPad or iPhone, setting any password encrypts the data stored on the device. I've set them so that ten failed password attempts will erase the device. If I'm worried about WiFi security, I use the encrypted VPN to my corporate network before accessing the websites I want security on.

anileze likes this.
  11. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but I don't use my tablet for any of that.

anileze likes this.
  12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you feel nothing you connect to on the tablet is sensitive enough to be a concern, then I'd say that's great and you probably don't have to worry about it. No sense wasting your money on a service you don't need.

anileze likes this.
  13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much of my reading waiting in the airport lounge is on a kindle. I have tried to dabble off-and-on with ET-call-home, using openvpn based server on the mac at home, with moderate success. For backup when the home stops answering ;) there are other commercial VPNs.