What are the pros and cons of Premium Economy Air New Zealand

Discussion in 'Air New Zealand | Airpoints' started by adamefimoff2, Oct 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    compared to Qantas PE
    and compared to Qantas and Air New Zealand Business

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pro Premium Economy: you spend less money than in business class
    Con: you get less space and less service than in business class

Perhaps some additional context would be helpful, like...

- Is your QF flight nonstop? Would your NZ flight be nonstop?
    - Which flight has better times?
    - Which option costs less?
    - Do you have status in either program?

I seriously doubt that adding additional connections/transit time to a trip is worth better champagne in Premium Economy. or a very modest difference between the two programs.. but who knows, maybe you really like champagne?

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    first all premium economy on NZ and QF is better than all economy on the same airlines, and worse than all business class on the same airlines

however, there are lots of different premium economy seat configurations (and also lots of different business class seats)

On NZ, premium economy seat on 772 used to be horrible (barely better than economy seat) but I think the last aircraft is being refitted with the new seats (which are much better); premium economy seats on 773 are nice but not everyone likes them (and the seating is different for the inner seats and the outer seats - I prefer the inner even though they are not private whereas the outer ones are), premium economy seat on 789 is similar to the new 772 seat.

For both QF & NZ, premium economy gets a reduced business class catering.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  4. adamefimoff2

Status Points:
    @eponymous_coward @kiwi going to the United States maybe so 14 hours in a plane trying find the best option from australia. Its really awful that I can not fly via singapore to usa. Because SIA is the best airline in the world

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In your situation, I would probably not take NZ and would take QF unless there was a significant price difference to make up for added transit time. You are likely adding at least 2-3 hours to a trip if you transit AKL, and as you point out, the added time is not for a product that you identify as premium as much as SQ's.

I usually only add time to my travel if there's a real benefit I can identify; for instance, I chose ZRH-JFK-LAX-SEA over ZRH-JFK-SEA on a recent AA J redemption using AS miles, because instead of a 5 hour layover waiting for a AA domestic F flight to SEA plus Admiral's Club access, I could shorten the layovers and get AA three-class F to LAX (plus access to better F Flagship Lounges in JFK/LAX), and take a nap on a flat seat transcon during a long day of flying, and it only added a little over an hour to the overall time to when I get home to SEA.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where travelling to/from.

QF has the time advantage for BNE/SYD/MEL-LAX, and SYD-DFW (and once it starts also SYD-SFO).
    NZ has the time/convenience advantage for PER-LAX, BNE/MEL/PER-SFO, BNE/SYD/MEL/PER-IAH,
    Other routes are more complex.
    As a generalisation it is easier & quicker connecting at AKL int-int than dom-int at SYD or int-dom at LAX/SFO/DFW.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Of course, OP hasn't said what their expected routing is other than "australia"... ;) But sure, if the routing on NZ is actually faster, all things being equal (price and both being in PE cabins) I'd probably take it.

8. adamefimoff2

Status Points:
    I ended up flying premium in virgin quite nice actually. And much better than cathay