What are the most "unexceptional" ICs?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by milepig, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a companion to the "most exceptional" thread, I though it might be good to chat about ICs that perhaps are fairly ordinary.

I'd put Tampa on the list. Close to the airport, but other than that an unexceptional location on a busy street across from a Shopping Mall. Many (most?) of the rooms face directly into the office building next door. After the restaurant (Shula's) closed at 10pm it was impossible to get a snack anywhere in the hotel other than through room service (we wanted to have a drink and nosh at the bar, but no dice). I was upgraded to a suite, which was largish but needed a bit of a refurbishment as the colors and finishes seemed somewhat outdated - and the sofa was just cheap and ugly. The bathroom was tiny. I was left cooling my heals in the lobby since they didn't call my the cell phone number as they promised they would. (finally walked up to the desk at 4:15 and they handed me my keycard without a word.) Biggest issue was that the hotel was swarming with some sort of teenage soccer group. They spent most of the evening/night riding up and down in the elevators, pushing every button, and wandering the hallways disturbing the other guests. At an IC?? Really!

Fiji and TheBeerHunter like this.
  2. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure many will disagree, but I'd suggest IC Buckhead in Atlanta - as an Amb, I got an upgrade to a room exactly the same as the standard rooms but on the 'Ambassador Floor'. A very ordinary hotel, IMO.

3. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing special about Frankfurt that would make me want to stay there again. Same with The Barclay. These properties are just old.

I think that's the only real dog I've used, although I look carefully before I book. Beijing, Paris, HK, Berchtesgaden, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, London, Amsterdam, Times Square all very nice.

It is not a coincidence (based on how I value hotels) that all of the above except AMS are fundamentally new or fully refurbed properties.

Tim O'Brien and Fiji like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bucharest is nothing special.

Ljubljana used to be completely underwhelming- but the hotel has since left the IC group and is now known as just "The Lek" where previously it was the "IC Lek".

5. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would put IC PVR on the list - nothing special at all.
    FRA is OK, but also old.

Skyvillager likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to report that Tampa is just as bad as it was when this thread was posted 2 1/2 years ago.

The rooms are still pretty terrible -- terrible insulation, dated and completely uninspiring. The pool area is small and unbearable sunny and bleak.

I was "upgraded" to a "bay view" room that had as much office building / parking lot view as it did bay view, it was basically impossible to get the valet guys on the phone (so you had to come down to talk to them and wait for them to get the car) and the entire property just didn't feel exceptional in any way.

I certainly wouldn't stay there again.

7. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    my top vote would probably go to IC Lusaka

dishonorable mention for IC Nairobi or IC Wellington (great locations but lame rooms)

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Willie gets into Tampa very early on an upcoming Friday in March & I get in late evening. I was about to switch to another property based on some of the comments here re: Tampa IC but some of the last words you wrote makes me think we'll stay put, "..pool area is small and unbearable sunny..." Mrs Willie loves sun, happy wife, happy life.

9. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed at the IC Prague, which has a great location but is not particularly remarkable. 1960s communist era building.