what are the chances to get flight tickets to London within a week.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by emilyfrew, Sep 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. i am newbie to this forum and i know it is difficult to get flight tickets of your choice in a week.
    which has better service British airways or american airlines.

ACMM and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you buying a ticket or using frequent flier miles?

emilyfrew and ACMM like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking at flying economy or something a little better? I have always preferred BA myself ... but in the end I fly *A ... hope you have a good trip!

emilyfrew and Sammich like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint Emilyfrew ,

It looks like your in Maryland. You could go to the airport and buy a ticket and be on a plane today to Europe (I assume this is where you want to go) but not the cheapest way to go I'd guess. You can buy a ticket online and get confirmation very quickly. Basically the same with award tickets.

If buying a ticket I would research on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and then got to one of those airlines to book or use Expedia, Kayak, etc. to compare as well.

With award ticketing you'll need to go to that vendors website and maybe even have to call them. Research the flights before you call though. Most airlines have an award booking tool.

I like BA better than AA over the Atlantic but everything on BA will likely take you through London where they hub and cost you more in taxes than some AA flights (even on award tickets).

If you can get to Boston or NYC a good choice might be Aer Lingus to Dublin. You can then book a discount flight into the rest of Europe on Ryanair, etc. or add the final place to your award booking.

Hard to cover it all in this short response. Do some homework on Milepoint.

ACMM likes this.
  5. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're considering booking award tickets, do NOT fly across the Atlantic on British Airways! They have very high "fuel surcharges" (scare quotes because the charges have nothing to do with actual fuel costs) on their award tickets, which can raise the price of the "free" award ticket to nearly the same cost as a paid ticket.

If you're buying your tickets with cash instead of using miles, I think British Airways has slightly better service than American, but it's a small difference.

daninstl, Sammich and ACMM like this.
  6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto on the fuel surcharge for BA award redemption.

When I did a quote on a YVR-LHR on BA Y class award redemption using CX miles the fuel surcharge was actually more than the ticket itself if I bought it straight out.

daninstl likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really now? Never heard of such a thing:rolleyes: is this something new? Are you working in conjunction with all the airlines?

BTW my Security software blocked me from accessing that site and lists it as malicious ..cant say I am at all surprised.:D

8. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am shocked!!! SHOCKED!!! that the link was suggested to be malicious!! I wish all malware users would be forced to use spirit airlines for their sole means of flying for the rest of their lives...

9. iWork, iFly.
    Thanks for all those fresh suggestions :p
    BA would be better.
    Yea, I am looking for economy class so far.

10. David_McC

David_McC Member

Status Points:
    Why was is blocked by malware? It's a secure site. https://corp.dreamtripslife.com/dreamtripslife <---- that's the general website. I guess it's because I linked you directly to my website. I've been on about 40 flights in the past year, including spirit. Spirit is the worse, not even "malware users" should be subject to such torture.

Here's the information for "RateShrinker" powered by Rovia (the best booking engine for 2012 and 2013): http://www.rateshrinker.com/

P.S: Not everyone on the internet is out to "phish" or hack your private info or whatever....

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was flagged automatically by the browser because the CN in the certificate doesn't match. The cert is valid for https://[anything].dreamtripslife.com/ -- hence "corp.dreamtripslife.com" is valid, as is "www.dreamtripslife.com"

However, in your case you did www.[yoursite].dreamtripslife.com, and the certificate not valid in that case as the pattern doesn't match. If you use https://[yoursite].dreamtripslife.com however, it works just fine.

the_more_you_know_banner.jpg

IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. David_McC

David_McC Member

Status Points:
    Ohhhhhhh....I see. I'm not that technologically advanced, yet. Thanks for your wisdom. I didn't want to be seen as a "malware user".

13. Thanks for those Useful suggestions.
    I am finding them useful, but how is this one!
    [​IMG]