What are the chances of filling up?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TravelBear, Sep 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Less than 2 months away and I am debating on EC seats for the longer flights. ATL-MUC on 29Oct flight #DL 130 we currently have seats 25 F and G. ZRH-ATL returning on 11Nov, DL 67 we are currently in seats 20 F and G. According to DL seat maps and expertflyer there is currently LOTS of room. I may move us to center seats in the event things look really undersold, at least on the way over.

Opinions about how full those flights may get in the next 8 weeks. GO!

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Opinions about EC or the likelihood of maintaining open seats near you?

OK, you asked....so here's my best-in-class opinion. Why bother? Because DL can move you out of EC into Y- at the last minute, even if you have paid for it. That's what happened to my long-time colleague a couple of months back. He flew DL for twenty years, between FO and GM each year. Even with recent rescissions he was still loyal, like many I suppose. However, that last event has spurred him into action...now he's churning AA cards, and not giving DL a bean. When forced to fly DL by policy he's crediting to AS.

So...Perhaps this will happen to you, and you'll do the same ;)

TravelBear likes this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, redtail, that was helpful. I didn't know that they would move someone even having paid for EC. So I will keep my current seat selections and hope for the best. Also know, I don't have all my eggs in one basket, but I do still like flying DL. Maybe I just haven't hit my tipping point as you have.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear you've booked your flights. I walked by Well-Bred bakery yesterday and thought about giving you a holler. :)

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If DL moves you out of an EC seat you've paid for, they will give you a refund.

6. redtailshark

Status Points:
    In policy theory, yes. As with so much of the operation of the best in class program, what actually happens can be at variance with published policy. In the case of my colleague, it took him two emails to DL and two weeks of waiting for his refund to be processed. It was far from automatic and entailed hassle. When they've imposed what amounts to invol downgrade from paid COS (since E+ requires additional payment for his Medallion level), they at least ought to make good without being pushed. They also awarded him 250 SM for each downgrade (!). He felt that was an insult, telling him to take his biz elsewhere.

DL does itself no favors with this type of shenanigan. At the moment, they get away with this. They rely on their hub-captive pax and their new love, the buy-up kettles for whom air carrier competition and choice has reduced. When new entrants appear in the market, and the upswing gets going, DL SM's performance is likely to be remembered. In this instance, DL managed to turn a 20-year loyalist/Medallion into a kayaker with an aversion to DL.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the colleague uses DL, perhaps he should have asked for the refund in the form of a voucher. It probably would have been instantaneous, maybe for a slightly greater amount than he paid, because DL then saves on the considerable expense of generating and mailing a check. However, I wouldn't suggest taking the refund as redeemable miles.

8. redtailshark

Status Points:
    But he didn't take the EC refund in the form of RDMs. See above - "they also awarded him" the SM, after he engaged in correspondence, and two weeks later.

His view was that DL should have honored the product they sold...or at very worst, apologized on the spot at JFK, and refunded the charge for non-delivered product immediately and without question, to the original form of payment. A gesture of apology, even a HOOU or something like that, would have been enough to have kept this guy in the DL fold. Even today, DL can sometimes manage that.

He - and I - think this is not too much to ask, and it is consistent with expectations/requirements for other merchants/products.

Why DL expects, and especially why DL flyers, expect customers to assume the burden of obtaining redress for clear contract violations, this is what truly escapes me. DL - all companies - need to be required to deliver, or refund, without making it a consumer problem, or introducing barriers/delays/effort to obtain refunds that were not present beforehand.