What are the chances I can get some points for this?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by circi, Aug 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flight was scheduled to depart at 4. Showed on time until 3:30 then delayed long enough that it rebooked me on another flight. Got on the rebooked flight (the last flight out of ABE for the day) and within 5 minutes they had us depart for mechanical problems. When there was no status update and I was in danger of being stuck in ABE overnight, I went online and found both United and US Air had flights that would get me home tonight. Went to GA and got booked on one of those flights. Left ABE 3hours later than scheduled, and not on Delta.

If I were to call and complain (I have flown Delta every week for the last 4 weeks and every single flight both departing and arrival were late!!) is there any chance they might compensate me with some extra points?

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did delta re-book you on a different carrier?

If so, at a minimum, you can get double miles. Hopefully you gave your ff number to the carrier you flew on, to get points there. (If you didn't, you should claim retroactive credit from that carrier.)

In addition, now email delta and ask for original routing credit, for the flights you were scheduled to take. Don't mention that you got points on the other carrier.

3. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was rebooked on a different carrier, at my request, when I saw I was going to be stranded after the 2nd and last flight of the day was delayed due to mechanical issues. I sent a complaint email to Delta shortly after posting this. I got a response that they understood my frustration etc etc and that I'd be getting 3k pts. I assumed I'd still get credit for miles on the flights I was supposed to take on top of this but currently my account doesn't show anything. I gave my ff number to US Air (the airline I ended up flying on) but haven't received anything there yet either.

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to request Original Routing Credit from Delta to get the DL miles from the flights you would have flown. Since you didn't actually fly them, you won't get them automatically.

NYBanker likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    3k is nothing.

What you get often comes down to how you ask. Professional, factual...no emotion. Here is an example of a claim I made following a weather cancellation. I got a night at the Four Seasons and 19k points. http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/successful-complaint-letter-regarding-a-weather-delay.html

6. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, I've submitted my request. You know, after reading some stories of things people got skypesos for, I'm almost wondering if I should sent in a complaint about my air not working on one flight yesterday, and only water available as a drink on the other, because the flight was so delayed their ice had melted. Instead of bringing the beverage cart and offering people the option of warm drinks, they only offered water (presumably also warm)

7. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    as someone whom recently received several thousand miles for one of the RJs being hot the entire flight (sat outside in ATL sun for two hours before turning on engines) and the air doing nothing to cool it, then yes, you should complain about that. I actually received a detailed response as to why it was hot and hard to cool off.

8. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make that 3hrs in the hot sun and add in the ice melting, causing them to not offer drinks, and our scenarios are the same. I wasn't even going to mention the heat, but I was miffed about not getting a soda!