What are the best mobile apps ?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ffitalia, Jan 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I wanted to propose a survey.
    What are in your opinion the best mobile app for:
    - Hotel booking
    - Management flights
    - Restaurants
    - Info on airports / lounge
    - Other essential for travelers
    In practice .. which ESSENTIAL app you have on the phone?

ahh7131 and chrislacey like this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Great thread! Hopefully I'll be downloading some awesome new apps to replace mine. That said...here's what I currently use:

Searching Flights &/or Hotels
    - Hipmunk (Flights + Hotels - no Mobile App Booking that I know of)
    - Kayak
    - SkyScanner (Not the greatest, but the "here" to Anywhere option is neat to play with)

Flight Status/Airport Status
    - FlightView

My Favorite (Can-Be Travel-Related) App
    - FastCustomer - This app will call and "hold" on your behalf until a phone rep is available. Works with many airlines and lots of other companies. Definitely a recommended tool for saving valuable time!

In addition to those, I have pretty much all the major airline apps. Some are great...and some are terrible, but at least the majority of them now allow app check-in and many allow making new reservations, too.

Espan and ffitalia like this.
  3. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not know this app (FastCustomer), it looks very interesting, thanks

4. SwenV

SwenV Member

Status Points:
    Blackberry Travel (free and similar to Tripit) is great for keeping track of hotel bookings and flights. On most airports you get notifications on your phone on flight delays, gate changes, cancellations before it's for example announced in the airport. One of the nicest things I like about this app is that you still get notifications even when the BlackBerry Travel app itself is not running (push notification from BlackBerry).

Blackberry travel adds all flight info to your calendar automatically. When you receive an email on your blackberry that's a confirmation of a flight reservation or a hotel booking, it's also automatically added to BlackBerry Travel.

The information saved in the app can also be reviewed, modified or extended through a website. It's a great app but only available for BlackBerry.

TripIt is similar and is available on all SmartPhones. The free version of TripIt allows you to keep track of flights and hotel bookings. The paid version gives you some extra features like flight information notification.

ffitalia likes this.
  5. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also created a quick anonymous survey (8 questions) , if you want this is the link, and this are the results. (is the first survey that I create so do not expect anything special)

6. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great thread. Will try FastCustomer for sure.

No one's mentioned Yelp and TA for restaurant reviews and searches.

I still can't figure out which I prefer: Trip It or Kayak's My Trips

Gate Guru

Skype, Viber, GrooVe Ip, What's App are all part of the essential kit

ffitalia likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Kayak Pro to have a backup of my itineraries, every so often, around Christmas is one time it comes out as free, but I don't know if you even need the Pro version to use the trips function... I also like Apple Maps because it uses vector based art so once you cache a map its usable and its fairly good at tracking your location with Wi-Fi even abroad. (I generally am using an iPod not a phone.)

Also as Espan mentioned I use Trip Advisor a lot to find restaurants, after I load up Yelp and get pissed off that it doesn't work outside the US...

Newscience and ffitalia like this.
  8. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also have a translator app - or two - that I find helpful (especially with restaurant menus and for those with food allergies).

I don't have a specific one to recommend, but there are many out there. You certainly should be able to find a "free" one.

9. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have so many but these are four I use a lot -

The Smart Traveler app with all countries info and entry requirements for US citizens -

For a cool factor Word Lens is fantastic - it translates words on a page/menu and in Santiago I used it to translate plaques/inscriptions at tourist sites. worth the $5 or so

For EU travel - I have the "Your Rights" app to know what the rules are for delays, cancellations, etc for foreign EU flights

TripIt Pro is great w/real time delays, alternative flight options showing open seats in each class

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kayak Trips adds in many of the notification features for free which TripIt charges for. Not sure if Traxo does also but they're another solid itinerary management app/site.

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have been using Kayak for awhile since TripIt no longer complimentary for Amex cardholders and has been very pleased.