What are the best airline miles and hotel points for Israel trips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TWA44, Feb 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am relatively new to this game and travel to Israel about every 12 to 18 months. I am not really into aspirational travel (as in over water accommodations in Tahiti and the best first class experience) but I would like to accumulate points and miles to enable us (my husband and myself) to fly business class to Israel and to stay in major chain hotels there. So far, between us, we have opened new accounts as follows:

Sapphire Preferred (his)
    Amex Hilton Hhonors (his)
    US Airways (his and hers)

We have low-ish point balances (from mostly travel, from before I started trying to boost them) in the frequent flyer programs on American, Delta, and United. They range from about 3,000 to 48,000 points. We also have about 30,000 points on a credit card we used a lot before, that can be used towards travel bookings/reimbursements.

As I plan an AOR, I would appreciate any advice on the best CCs to focus on, to get points/miles for this goal. I live in PDX and sometimes do stop for a few days in Europe or NY, en route or on the way back from TLV.

We do occasional trips in the US and Canada, but neither of us do business travel more than once or twice a year. I am happy to buy Starbuck's cards at drugstores on my Hilton Hhonors card and to pay everything possible on CCs, but I am not really into the manufactured spend game. We could probably get an Ink Bold but will save that option for a time when we anticipate an expense that would enable us to easily meet the $5000 minimum spend. I am most comfortable with spends up to $3000 and bonuses for first use.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe consider the two browser trick for 2 Citibank cards at 50,000 AAdvantage miles each since AA flies from PDX to TLV.

3. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
  4. restonva

restonva Active Member

Status Points:
    You also may want to check out Dan's Deals -- he frequently posts about fares to Israel.