What are the benefits of Platinum status?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Punki, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are going to be staying at an Intercontinental property in April and are considering asking for comped Platinum status.

What benefits come with the status?

2. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Basically 50% more base points, room upgrades. and occasionally some small gifts (I got chocolate and cookies at one hotel and an upgrade).

It's described here

3. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it's an InterContinental (as opposed to one of the other IHG brands, like Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn), Priority Club Platinum will not get you anything except the 50% points bonus - you need to consider buying Ambassador status, as that is what IC hotels will recognise. That will get you a one-level room upgrade, late checkout and free fruit and water on check-in.

TheBeerHunter and Tim O'Brien like this.
  4. and importantly a free weekend night that pays for the $200 ambassador fee.

ag51 likes this.
  5. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And for HI and HIX properties, I've found no difference in gold versus plat status. I DEFINITELY notice a difference at IC's btw no status and Ambassador and RA status.

6. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually get upgrade as Plat in Europe and 50-50 in US.....a bit lower when I was gold.

For sure, as mentioned, it usually gets nothing @IC's.

However, if you buy Amb at the IC and asked to be comped to Plat at the same time, they might do it.

FYI, when buying Amb, you are then automatically Gold as well.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  7. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, PC is such an odd loyalty program. I don't understand why they need to create a separate loyalty program for their upscale chain. I also don't understand why PC won't extend Platinum benefits on award reservations.

8. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    50% bonus points are the only thing you can count on!

rwoman, Kalboz and Tim O'Brien like this.
  9. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops - forgot the most important thing!

Back to the OP, if you are interested in the Ambassador program, the full details and link for joining are here - even with the free weekend night, it may only be worth it if you are planning future IC stays. If you post the name of the hotel, someone on here may have some specific experiences of what they have received (either as as PC Plat or Ambassador)

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/ambassador/faq

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  10. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We will be at The InterContinental San Juan, Puerto Rico.

11. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find that HI do give you a better room in Europe, or at least an upgrade to their 'business' room. Depending on property this can mean a robe and slippers, free chocolate/water and/or a mini-bar.

CP is pretty hit and miss. Some properties I've been upgraded or given a slightly better room. Sometimes I've been give access to the executive lounge. Also I recently stayed at the Staybridge in Newcastle (UK) and was upgraded from a standard room to a suite (living room/kitchen and bedroom).

But as others have said the only thing you can really count on is the 50% bonus. Plus whenever I've spoken to IHG on the phone they've always gone out of their way to say "since you're a platinum member, sir" — I may not be getting anything extra, but they can make you feel valued.

12. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have gotten the odd upgrade at an IC as a Platinum.

Tim O'Brien and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    How are you hoping to be comped?

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  14. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't seem to find a reference to the 50% bonus on the PC web site. Am I missing it somewhere?

15. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    With either our SPG Platinum HH Diamond status.

16. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They were pretty by-the-book during our stay back in September. I was a Plat at the time, no IC status and my wife was an RA. Two nights, one in each of us, I got nothing as a Plat, she got a suite as a RA.
    I think it's worth repeating that if you want to join as an Ambassador, then do so at the IC San Juan at check-in. Numerous posters have reported getting a better upgrade then traditionally they would achieve as an Ambassador because of the incentive or reward that the person signing you up will receive versus just using the website. You might open the conversation with, "I've had friends tell me about the Ambassador program, but haven't sign up yet. If I sign up with you, can I get upgraded to a suite/executive room on this stay and get Platinum status with Priority Club?"

Have fun in San Juan. If you don't mind waiting, I think the bus fare from the IC to Old San Juan was 90 cents per person, or something like that if my memory serves correctly.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  17. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    So what's an "RA"?

If we join as an Ambassador, we were hoping to use our free nights during this stay. Would that work if we didn't sign up until we got there?

18. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's in the chart that's on the web site. which again is here (Click on the word here). The chart says 50% additional base points

19. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    RA is Royal Ambassador, which is the super-elite status "extended by invitation only to a small percentage of InterContinental Ambassador guests, based on the number of nights they have stayed during the past year". It basically gives better upgrades, gifts and more points. ( http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/amb/faq#amb1 )

If you sign up for Amb membership then you have to wait for the voucher to be mailed out to you, which can take up to 45 days. So you need to sign up before you go to the hotel. And then you can only book rooms through a special rate, as detailed on the voucher.

20. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I missed your comment about wanting to use the buy one night, get one night (BOGO) free certificate on this stay. As Ant points out, if you're wanting to use your BOGO cert for this stay, then you'd have to upgrade ahead of time, have the welcome package mailed to you, and then find availability for a BOGO night using the instructions on the certificate/voucher. I thought your original post was just about obtaining elite status and the differences/benefits of the PC elite status (gold/plat) and IC's status (Amb). Good luck!

21. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I first posted, I didn't know anything about the BOGO certs.

Hmmmmmmm. So I suspect that since our other nights are already on a special rate that we won't be able to use the BOGO cert with them, do you think?

22. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope you have to use the special BOGO rate.

23. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a very 'tired' property, one of the least impressive IC's IMHO. If you are flexible, you 'might' want to look into some of the other properties. I love the area, Isla Verde, just not in love with this property. I haven't heard a really positive comment about the IC-San Juan in years (or perhaps, my friends are just very picky). On the plus side, it is a very short walk to the El San Juan (Waldorf-Astoria Collection, now) and Ritz Carlton. I'm also not particularly fond of the San Juan Ritz, but our corporate rate is so good that I'm willing to look aside at the shortcomings.

Be sure to check out some of the amazing restaurants in San Juan. One of our new favorites, is BUDATAI on Condado.

With regard to Ambassador Status; I think it's a great deal. While I've only joined to use it exclusively at the IC-Boston; we have been treated to some superb upgrades at that property, one of my favorites in Boston.

24. echohorn
    Original Member

echohorn Active Member

Status Points:
    you can also use PC points to "pay" for Ambassador. I think its around 30K.

25. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? I didn't know that.

But as a plat in non IC properties I usually got a plat gift, sometimes a room upgrade and that's it. the AMB with IC is worth it for the $200

Skyvillager and Tim O'Brien like this.