What an eventful week!

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by wijomas, Jun 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, a couple of very unexpected but extremely welcome things happened in the past 10 days or so.

As most of you are well aware, I flew from my native New Zealand (aka Kiwiland) to Washington, DC last week, for the Star Alliance Mega DO 4 launch party. It was a fantastic event, where I got to meet many friends - old and new. I'm no newbie to these things, I've been to every Mega DO and every launch party - but this one had some very special surprises in store.

The first one is that I was invited to become a co-captain of the Milepoint Kiva Team. I'm a strong supporter of this team, although far from being one if its biggest in terms of dollar value. But that's the great thing about Kiva - it's not about how much you lend. Every single loan has helped someone in so many ways, and every $25 is as good as every other $25. One single loan can literally change lives. I was so honored to be asked to help lead this team.

A few Milepointers were going to be in NYC almost straight after the launch party events, mostly attending BlogWorld. As some of us had previously been to Steak Frites in NYC, I had suggested that we all meet up there again for dinner the Tuesday after the launch party. I had somewhat of an ulterior motive for this - I had vivid recollections of a very attractive and friendly bar girl from Texas who worked there and served us last time. I was hoping to see her again, though had no idea what her name was nor did she know mine :p

It seems life had other plans though. After the launch party, less than 8 hours before I was due to be flying out on a 6am flight to NYC, I held a "small" (okay, 37 people turned up in my 600sqft suite) after party. It was at this after party that I got a chance to talk to catgirl, having run into her a bit earlier downstairs. I'd seen catgirl post a few times before, and have heard of her quite a few times from my good friend FriendlySkies, who is also friends with her and they've been on a few MRs together.

It didn't take me long to realize how truly amazing this girl really is. Then I discovered she was going to be in NY the following week for work. A few more hours passed, and I got an email from canucklehead saying that he had made reservations at Steak Frites and that the Texan bar girl wasn't going to be there. Probably for the best, I thought, considering the latest developments.

I'm now back at home, after spending an amazing week with so many of my dear friends from Milepoint, including one extremely special new one who I miss muchly already. Thanks for finding your way into my life, catgirl. Never know, play your cards right and one day you may be the future Mrs. Ryan Bingham. :rolleyes: :p

2. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    So are you telling me that I have to find and book *ANOTHER* award seat on the DEN-NRT inaugural?!? :rolleyes: Son, will I approve of this young woman? Or do I already know her IRL, but I just don't know her handle? Congrats, very glad to see you happy! Fate finds a way. :)

3. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will most definitely approve, father. :rolleyes: I'm sure you must have run into her at the launch party. ;)

4. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were doing well until the very last sentence there Wijomas!!! More like You playing Your cards right for this special girl!

Oh, hang on, I saw you doing that Ryan Bingham style at the after- party...

5. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all met her:)

6. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, indeed we did. I just misremembered ;)

7. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. The Binghamesque Frequent Flyer Card Comparison is a must for any potential new relationship. :p And even though my collection did not (yet?) include that coveted black ConciergeKey card, she still must've been duly impressed.

8. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    And a very big congratulations on co-captain for Milepoint Kiva Team!!

9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can vouch for her, if that is of any worth!!! :)

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....and to think that they were at the Kiva Do together previously! It was a delightful evening at Steak Frites that night, moreso knowing two of my friends were so lively and happy together!

11. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a very nice story. Good luck Will and CG.

12. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    What Catgirl needs to be made aware of is that this could all be a ploy by wijomas to accelerate acquisition of a U.S. Green Card...

And what wijomas needs to realize is that this means that now there will be another person lamenting and banging her head about a critical missed B-fare...

:D

13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that was discussed at the dinner! :)

14. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    The green card or the B-fare? ;)

15. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still ticked I missed out on the B-fare, lol. That's what I get for not booking right away. :p :D

You guys will have fun on the inaugural flight. :)

16. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    And wijomas, just to make you jealous, Catgirl Facebook friended me last Saturday night. At the hotel bar.

:D

17. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D trying to stir the pot? :p

18. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is now a mission for me to adopt another child and ensure you get on the inaugural.

wijomas (er, son), fire up ExpertFlyer!

19. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    and catgirl and I are catching up next week!!! ;) so much has happened since we last saw each other! :p
    (and she will hopefully be void of phlegm! :eek: - no that is not wijomas' pet name! :D )

20. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    As per usual.

21. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh yeah, it is going to be a party plane!!!

22. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you on the flight, too?

23. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    yessir!

24. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will finds happiness. Yay! I definitely approve of the choice, catgirl was an awesome part of KivaDo!

25. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Never knew this post was going so many directions when I opened it.

2) Super congratulations on being a KLT Co-Captain. Do you guys take applications for Lieutenants?

3) Never in a million years did I think this would be a Will romance thread. Mostly because I'm not sure how someone who speaks infrequently, and when he does usually has a cutting dry sense of humor, picks up a lady. I'm hoping he said the magical words of "What's happening after now?" to Catgirl and then they went to her room. Sorry to drop some Newfoundland on you.

4) I won't jinx anything, but as a reminder I'm a Most Reverend and have married 7 couples. All still married. Before you ask too many questions, yes my church is on the internet, but that cheapens my relationship with the Lord. And yes, I did get to choose my title of Most Reverend, because I thought on the off chance I attended any Reverend Conferences, that I'd get preferred parking over plain Revs and Most Revs.

Really happy for you both.