What am i missing?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Photonerd71, Sep 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I admit I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I still can't figure this out.

According to AA's website we get credit for flying on the oneworld partners. For both lifetime and elite qual (unless we take the deep discount fares and fly in the baggage compartment on some of them). Now whenever I try and look up flights on either the website or the crappy iPhone app, it only shows the milage total for the AA flights. The milage total for quantas, BA, Cathay etc are always blank. What I missing? Its hard to plan a MR without knowing how many miles I will get. (plus I'd like to at least try the other airlines as that was a major selling point for me to move back to AA from CO).

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You're not missing anything, so that's the good news!

Sadly AA.com will not show mileage totals for non-AA flights. You'd have to verify that the flights are in fare classes that are mileage earning, then calculate the earnings yourself.

Not too hard to do actually. I use:

gcmap.com

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Ok thanks. I did use the individual airlines site the other day to check (BA I think), I guess as long as I get credit for the miles it's just a small PITA that is easy enough to work around. And yeah, I know about the fare class deal, looks like Cathay is the big one to worry about. The others look like there are quite a few different fare classes with full credit,

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BA, AY and MA are the easy ones. All the other OW airlines generally do not provide full credit for their discount economy fares, which is what most people will end up buying.

5. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    As I usually use the iPhone app for this site, and looking up the codes is a bit more difficult..what airlines are MA and AY? After a while all the 2 and 3 letter codes make my head hurt, im slowly starting to learn the airport codes but after a while it gets overwhelming.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Haha, no problem. MA = Malev, AY = Finnair.

7. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm a rookie at this, but it is, after reading many threads, starting to become a little more clear. I think I'm going to start a note page on my note app for quick reference to all these codes.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The iphone has several airport code/airline code apps that you might want to look into.