What am I missing? Does ANYONE feel good about Hilton?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Steven Schwartz, Apr 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of Hilton points accumulated over the years. I'm primarily a Starwood guy and after that, I wish I could maintain previous Diamond status with Hyatt. Got matched to Diamond status with Hilton but really, they have truly given all of us the big middle finger and it shocks me that I look at the first Hilton page of MP and see no outrage!

I' ve been part of the FF game for about 10 years. I've lived the good life and still have about 3 million miles/points in reserve. I have had some Private Messages on MP with another dentist who indicates that he wants to have s mile retirement account - a feeling I shared years ago (I'm about 10 years older than him) until I saw what devaluations can do to ones plans. Yes - the mantra is "earn em and burn em" and I can't get through mine fast enough. But this recent devaluation from Hilton (and the letter I got yesterday from AMEX about the total emasculization of the AXON award) is like nothing I have seen in the last ten years and may be an awful harbinger of what is coming.

I gave up my Surpass AMEX and will now be giving up my regular Hilton AMEX. I'll go through the points I have somehow - hard to have a Hilton stay when I need to work to requalify for Starwood Platinum each year. But I'm really shocked that anyone would still stay loyal to a company that has shown loyalty to its customers. My sincere hope was that Hilton would have to pay a price for their actions but in looking over this board, doesn't seem they have much to worry about

Aren't there others who are as shocked and dismayed as I am?

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am no more shocked with Hilton than I am at any other company that devalues their points. I had over 1 million Hilton points and I used them for reservations at several resorts once I heard about the devaluation. I was still able to book Conrad Maldives, Conrad Koh Samui, Hilton Dubai and Conrad Hong Kong at the old rates. I have been a diamond for several years along with top status at three other hotels and Hilton has treated me well at their hotels.

8MiHi, LeeInDC, NYCUA1K and 7 others like this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doc, I was wondering the same thing. I am not completely dropping them but the new axon rates are more than a bit over the top. My issue is that the award charter with the seasonality or lack of it on the awards are so confusing. It makes little sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LeeInDC, MX, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:

Perhaps you're interpreting the relative indifference incorrectly. I've written HH off several years ago, so I can no longer take the program seriously. I suspect that a number of other previously loyal customers likewise see it as dead. Once something is dead, it can't become "deader". In other words, there's no need to pay attention to any of their announcements.

Of course, the lucky folks with over a million HH points will take a little longer to write them off. ;)

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I struggle with nearly all of their properties (a few exceptions), so I've never been attracted to their points.

The re-marking is the key risk for everyone, regardless of chain.

Tenmoc, 8MiHi, viguera and 2 others like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was annoyed when they deval'ed in March, and I burned my account down to 130 or so points (I do still have some 35k Hawaiian miles that were originally slated to go to Hilton via transfer). The Axon change just left me with my head shaking. Amex might as well shut that feature down. The Conrad HK Axon award from last November would now go for 260,000 points instead of 145,000. So definitely don't save miles and points for retirement (while spending dollars now on revenue flights/stays).

It's unfortunate that Hilton isn't a public company, or else we could see if the events of March and April had any material impact on revenues or profit.

daninstl, marcwint55, LeeInDC and 4 others like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Might be worth its own thread, but apparently in light of the HHonors and Axon deval as well as the category bonus change for card spend Amex is no longer allowing downgrade from Surpuss to regular HHonors Amex card.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20661854-post2094.html

LETTERBOY, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The magnitude of the recent change in the costs of reward stays at Hilton was indeed unprecedented. However, as the "quantitative" guy, I was and may still be among the few that were not shocked by this apparent devaluation of HHonors points because I saw it as a course correction that simply brought the historically "easy" award stay redemptions at Hilton properties inline with those of their closest competitor in terms of size -- yes, that would be SPG, complete with making Cash+Points rewards one of the more attractive options. I could crunch the numbers again but the goods can be found here. That was before the "devaluation", and HH points did definitely stretch much farther than Starpoints.
    Having the AMEX Surpass and using it to pay for stays at Hilton properties by booking Cash+Points rewards may, in fact, be the smart way to avoid the "sticker shock" that many have experienced since D-Day.
    I will be happy if Hilton reverses course and again becomes the easy redemption venue that it has been historically, but until then, I will avoid seeing the grass as being greener on the other side. I have had a fantastic experience as a HHonors Diamond, especially in Asia, and being a realist and a consummate optimist, I will tough it out with Hilton, especially since these days there are multiple ways to rake in points throughout the loyalty program industry that were unimaginable a decade ago (e.g., churning, 12 points/$ spent on the Surpass, as well as points on most other purchases, and higher room rates compared to ten years ago). The cost of redeeming has gone up all over, but so has the ability to rake in points! In fact, the flood of loyalty points may be part of the reason why nearly all the frequent-guest loyalty programs have increased the cost of their redemptions (see, e.g., "Evaluating Hotel Reward Programs After the Whirlwind of Devaluations"). D-Day did not arrive only at Hilton!

cheers!

radonc1951, marcwint55, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.
  9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA-

A good, detailed and intelligent response. I admire your resilience! That said, while we have all watched most chains go thru devaluations, I would argue that the scale of Hilton's is unprecedented. In many places, I can now get approximate half the nights I could have before "D-Day".

I think a few years down the road, we'll look back on 2005-2013 as the golden years of award travel. Today's stories were about airlines auctioning premium seats rather than giving them away as free elite upgrades. Premium travel is still very possible but gets harder and harder and requires more and more flexibility. As you rightly said, all those free points that were passed out sounded great but required an adjustment somewhere.

Ah well - we'll always have our memories!

10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If one is subsidizing their points with business stays & Hilton works for them, great keep the course, I probably would be as well.

For the leisure traveler, the Hilton ship has sailed.

the silver years maybe:) , the golden years were before this time, at least with my travel earnings/redemptions. (especially with HHonors)

Pete, weevinweaver, LETTERBOY and 7 others like this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I quietly started a challenge with Hyatt and am looking to move much of my business that went to Hilton in that direction.

I don't disagree that a correction of sorts was somewhat expected from Hilton - but that was what kept me with the program.

As a diamond if I chose points/points I'd be earning 20 points/dollar - so under the old AXON just over 1800 in hotel-spend for top-tier night. Go all-in with the credit card and get 32 points per dollar - less than 1150 in spend per top night, and I've seen properties like the Conrad maldives or Conrad Koh Samui at 2500 a night with awards available. I'd never consider burning anywhere but the top with Hilton for these reasons, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Compare that to SPG where you earn less than 1/6 the points on in-hotel spend and the top redemptions could be in the same range or higher in point requirements, or even to Hyatt where a diamond earns 6.5+2 points per dollar, or about $2600 in spend for a top tier night. Hyatt and SPG bonuses tend to turn things more toward their favor, but the Hilton program was probably a bit too top-heavy. Even post-devaluation, for all-in spending, if you discount bonuses they're still almost competitive on earn/burn if you do the new, inferior AXONs or other similar awards. To some extent we were spoiled and then shocked by the big change.

They now lean more heavily on their hotel network to drive business, lacking a positive differentiation on the award side. I'm moving business to Hyatt for elite treatment as well as better value on award stays whether short or long. With Hilton Gold so easy to maintain via alternative measures and with Diamond recognition not all that consistent, Hilton's just been burning through their ways to build a strong value proposition for using them.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    All my stays are paid with my money. Higher room rates than ten years ago to earn more points aren't exactly my friend. So yes, I'll go where I will get a better deal. For starters, after my May statement closes, my Amex HHonors card will be in the sock drawer (until then, I'll get a few more VRs to see if I can get my 35k HI miles into usable territory). No point closing the account since it's no fee, but also no point using it for 5x (with 50% of pre-deval value) at grocery stores, restaurants or gas stations when I could get 2x UA with my Select VISA instead.

The silver years weren't bad; I collected and used miles during the golden years, but wasn't "serious" (or infected, as I sometimes call it) about it.

13. LeeInDC

LeeInDC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there are still a few decent deals if you're not looking to stay at top category properties. But the devaluation of HHonors and AXON both suck. I'm glad I've used most of my HH points in recent months at Conrads in Singapore and Bali and have future bookings in Hong Kong. However, I'm still buying VRs at CVS with HH Amex for another couple weeks because I'm sure I'll find a use for them even if they aren't worth as much as before.

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    sure, I found Hyatt's stay twice get a free night to be the best bang during the silver years period quoted by Steven (of course FFNs haven't been around the last few years & probably won't).

I think I've posted this elsewhere on MP but the golden years for me with Hilton were back in the 90s, stay 4 times get 40,000 HHonors, this promo was run at least once per year, & at that time, 100k HHonors got a 6 night stay in Hawaii. Made good use of those awards as Mrs loves Hawaii! That said, I still had to carry around a printout of Diamond benefits as front desk training was terrible in the U.S. Elsewhere in the world, even when Gold I was treated great by Hilton.

I'm sitting on ~350k HHonors now, not sure when I'll be able to use them but I suppose I should use sooner than later. (if anyone is interested shoot me a message)

At some point the economy will get really bad again and we'll see some great promos from the hotel programs but until then as others have pointed out, the flood of credit card bonuses & points combined with a decent economy have lead to some major devals.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, some European properties that dropped in value have been pointed out. There are probably others. That's where I might use my 35k HI -> 70k HHonors points + whatever VRs I acquire in the next twenty days.

marcwint55 likes this.
  16. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ship sailed for me when decent customer service disappeared. Specifically, the disappearance of any sort of help from the Diamond desk and a general malaise from the hotel employees.

I have stayed with Hilton since I can make Diamond via generated spend and the hotels where I "need" a Hilton haven't changed too much in point cost. Plus, my boss is a Hilton person and having status when I travel with him helps. Other than that, I've burned through 500K points this spring and have no intention of putting any effort into collecting more.

Pete and daninstl like this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that the rush to "cash out" of and/or dump Hilton in favor of which ever program (you name it) would be revealed by any objective analysis to simply be a case of replacing the newly discovered devil with the devil that you know or, worse, that you do not even know. Hilton Honors has always been by far the most flexible of the frequent-guest loyalty programs (e.g., ease and ability to achieve status on stays, nights or points) and their redemption rates have generally been among the best, historically. The big fuss that's now being made relates mainly to the very high end properties that Hilton has decided to make less affordable and more competitive with what the other programs have been offering for years. Remember that there are more than 3800 Hilton properties around the world, and how many of those do you believe are Waldorf Astorias, Conrads, or ____ Maldives? Chances are that redemption rates at regular Hilton (my usual) or DoubleTree hotels around the world are still affordable or quite competitive with similar properties that are offered by the other programs, but no one seems to want to see this obvious side of things because they have discovered evil and it is HHonors. How many have consistently and constantly redeemed at W=A or Conrad?! Now, which program are you going to leave HHonors for? Going with Hyatt? Well, try finding properties in as many locations and as easily as you would Hilton properties, and good luck qualifying for Diamond without making a big crater in your travel funds. SPG? They ain't that cheap! MAR? No ability to qualify for top elite with points and that sucks. Moreover, before one can redeem points at any of these other properties, points have to be earned. Have you tried staying at a Hyatt property on revenue lately? I have, and in Asia where room rates are generally lower than for equivalent properties in the West: 4 nights at Grand Taipei, just 2 nights at Park Hyatt Saigon cost me a bundle! See for yourselves. You think you have problems with Hilton? First, you would need to do paid stays in any program to get the points to redeem and it will cost you...usually more than at Hilton:

ASIAN-PAID.png

So, where are you running off to? Go ahead, tell us and we will compute...
    ;)

weevinweaver and LeeInDC like this.
  18. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm still happy to stay in their hotels, I appreciate their comprehensive footprint, and I like the value proposition of HH Gold status. The full-service Hiltons and Doubletrees are inconsistent, but they're usually good enough for my needs. But several years ago I quit considering them my top choice for point accumulation, and I hardly use my HH Amex.

I have not rushed to burn my points, which is perhaps an oversight. Instead, I've continued my long-term pattern of using an award night here and there when rates are unusually high. Meanwhile, I've been accumulating Hyatt and Starwood points.

8MiHi and Steven Schwartz like this.
  19. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You hit a big point that I forgot. So many of us plan way, way ahead in order to get the flights we want. With all the trips I had planned, it was simply impossible to burn through my miles in the time that was allotted after the devaluation was announced. I do appreciate that they did give ample notice - just wasn't practical for me to take advantage of it.

Ah Sweet Willie - I can almost cry when I think back about Hyatt FFN. What some forget is that not only did I get a free night for each two stays but that each stay gave double stay credit! We'd all be perpetual Diamonds if they did that every year!

Sweet Willie and traveltoomuch like this.
  20. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they've moved from value leadership at the high end to poor to average redemption value. I agree that there may be some overreaction as they are not so out of touch with the pack as e.g. SPG is in terms of top property redemption cost.

In terms of flexibility in qualification, all that's doing for me is letting me maintain reasonable status without actually staying in their hotels and making it easier to direct my business elsewhere.
    Previously, I essentially only considered redemptions at high-end properties. Why would I spend the same points on a ~$120 a night hampton Inn that could get me 1/4 of an AXON in the properties you list? Now, I'll be open to redeeming elsewhere, so I guess in that sense I am "liberated".

While property choice is nice, SPG and Hyatt are close enough in the US especially when considering top properties. Overseas their footprint for top quality properties is similar - sometimes better, sometimes worse depending on destination. Basically Hilton makes up much of its numbers advantage at places I am not all that concerned to redeem in, and SPG+Hyatt is mostly adequate for paid stays.

Only considering maximized earnings appropriate CC for now and top elite status.

I'm moving business to Hyatt, where $2550 in in-hotel spend gets me a night at a top hotel without need to stay a set number of nights, plus can be topped off economically from UR. Premium room redemptions are also not as useless as Hilton's. My motivations are based more on Hilton not being a clear leader at the top-end redemptions and appreciation of the Hyatt product than on anything else.

The math for Hilton is actually still in the same ballpark which I do not think people realize...
    $2350 for 1/4 of a cat10 axon, or 3k for a cat10 single night, if you're Diamond with the right CC.

The points amenity is better at Hyatt (2.3%-4.5% of a top-tier night vs .2-1%), and the promotions are frequently a bit better as well. Current Hyatt promotion is 4.5-5.5% of a free top tier night per stay vs. ~1% per night, so if you did weeklong stays you'd about break even.

I do a lot of lower-cost 1-night stays. Let's call them $130 to pick a random number. assume I'm stuck in only hyatt place/hampton for now. Ignore promotions as they constantly change, although Hyatt imo does better.
    (130*6.5+130*2+500)/22000=7.3% - Hyatt
    (130*20+130*12+250)/75000=5.9% - Hilton AXON10
    (130*20+130*12+250)/95000=4.6% - Hilton peak10

So basically I'm earning nights at park hyatts ~1/4 faster. If I move up to HGIs or full-service Hilton improves a bit, but moving to full service on Hyatt is an even bigger impact. If your stays are longer and higher spend the earning moves to approximate parity. I hope the people fleeing Hilton to Hyatt understand this and are appropriately considering their stay patterns. The magnitude of the change is to some extent overshadowing where things end up. Some people have doubtless overreacted to what is still very negative news.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In my case, I was not really in a rush to cash out at all cost. I booked pretty much exactly what I would have booked anyway, just a little earlier to beat the March deadline and it happened to bring down the balance to near zero (I had to accelerate Amex HHonors spend a bit via VR to actually beat the deadline).

What I am stopping is the acquisition of new HHonors points via the Amex card (after the May statement closes, until then I will cycle through a few more VRs). And I will be less inclined to stay at Hilton properties on revenue stays than before. Essentially, I am becoming a free agent.

My main goal for this year and next year, even before the deval, has been reduction of award balances. A quick scan at my account balances reveals that I currently control approximately

530,000 Club Carlson points
    45,000 HHonors points (+110,000 in a booked reservation + 70,000 via HI miles conversion if needed)
    36,000 Hyatt points
    300,000 IHG points
    25,000 SPG points (+45,000 in a booked reservation)

(+ a few Best Western and Choice points, but who's counting those)

No point (pun intended) to spend a ton of money on hotel nights while the programs devalue what I already have acquired. The Club Carlson points alone, with credit card 2nd night free benefit, get me quite a number of nights.

Most of my HHonors redemptions have been Axons. The HK Conrad cost me 145,000 points last November; if we went back this year, it would be 260,000 points. Examples like that make it unattractive to continue to focus on HHonors point acquisition -- 5x at perhaps half the value of last year is less valuable to me than 2x United MP miles, especially since I am hoping to take a break from airline status chasing next year when I reach MM status.

260,000 at 5x for grocery/dining/gas requires $52,000 spend.
    145,000 at 6x for drug stores/groceries/gas/... required $24,166 spend

While I have a higher legitimate dining spend than at drug stores (i.e., ignore the VR factor), I still don't think I'd put anywhere near $52,000+ on my HHonors for four nights in HK. ;)

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how much all of the above would be worth if converted into just Hilton or Hyatt or SPG points....
    Then do not stay at Conrad HK, which was perhaps the most affordable luxury hotel in HK, because to remain competitive, Hilton decided to clamp down on that largesse! D-Day was a shrewd and calculated business decision. I do not recall where I had read this (very likely here on MP) but someone had apparently asked a HHonors representative the reason for the seismic programmatic change and the story seems to be that it was to force guests to spend some money at high-end properties. Apparently, managers of high end properties were peeved that guests accumulated points by paying real money at lower end properties and then used those points to redeem at high end properties, paying no money at all. The solution? To jack up redemption rates at high end properties so much that the smartest and most affordable option becomes the Points & Money Reward™...guests must now spend money, at least some money, at high end Hilton properties. While HH made sure of that on D-Day, things have been that at SPG for years!

I am nearly certain that Hilton knew that D-Day would be very unpopular but they were prepared to go with it even if it lost them frequent-guests:
    In other words, if you do not like it, go jump in the lake! Just like the Great Devaluation of 2010, this one also shall pass, and the new look of things will become the new norm[al]...until the Great Devaluation of 2015 ;)

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I resemble that remark, let me assure you that all my spend during my Annual Year-End Asian Escapade(TM) is on my dime, meaning my spend at Hyatt and Sheraton above was all out of my pocket.

There remain many things to love about HHonors despite the recent placing of Hyatt on a pedestal. Hyatt Gold Passport is my fallback frequent-guest program, i.e., in number 2 position, for a few reasons that I have shared on these boards:

A.1. Room rates in hard cash are generally higher at Hyatt properties (Park Hyatt Saigon: $600/night!). Below is a head-to-head comparison of top 2 of 4 Hyatt and top 2 of 5 Hilton properties in one of my favorite cities in the world, Shanghai:

[​IMG]

A.2. While with more than 3800 properties worldwide Hilton is so ubiquitous that it is a cinch to find a property in most places, I just found this on the Hyatt corporate website "We manage, franchise, own and develop Hyatt branded hotels, resorts and residential and vacation ownership properties around the world. As of June 30, 2012, the company's worldwide portfolio consisted of 492 properties."

B. As I had written before, it is demonstrably true that HH Diamonds fare much better on upgrades, including suite upgrades, than GP Diamonds because Hyatt GP is very stingy with this perk. All we need to do is to check out each program's description of their Diamond benefits. The following is from the GP description of Diamond benefits, with the blue stating what the corresponding benefit is for HH Diamonds:
    • Enjoy the best room available upon arrival, excluding suites
    HH Diamonds enjoy the best room available upon arrival, including suites
    • Receive exclusive access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge featuring complimentary continental breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres. Enjoy daily complimentary full breakfast in hotels without a club lounge
    This benefit is about the same for the two programs; HH Diamonds have access to the executive lounge and complimentary breakfast but, in Asia, can have full free breakfast even at hotels that have a club lounge, if one chooses to have it in a full service restaurant on the property. In this respect, HH Golds fare better than GP Plats because the former can get access to these perks if they get upgraded, which happens on "well over half of their stays...";). GP Plats have no way of seeing the inside of executive lounges or to have complimentary breakfast
    • Treat yourself to a suite upgrade at the time of reservation four times annually on eligible paid nights
    HH Diamonds are treated, depending on availability but without limit, to suite upgrades even on rewards stays, and those who are paranoid about leaving things to chance can guarantee the upgrades at booking using HHonors points.

C. Branded credit cards -- the new point/status earners: Comparing the two cards with Le Chip Technology, Chase Hyatt Visa vs. Citi Reserve HH Visa, gives an edge to the latter, IMHO (below, each bullet point is a benefit of the Chase Hyatt visa, while in blue I provide the corresponding Citi Reserve HH visa benefit):
    • One Anniversary Award Night each year at a category 1-4 property (top Cat is 6)
    A $10K spend on the Citi Reserve will earn a HH member one weekend night award certificate to be used at a hotel of any category that has standard rooms (Some W-As do not).
    • No foreign transaction fees for international purchases
    Same for the Citi Reserve
    • Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum Status for as long as you are a cardmember
    Hilton Honors Gold Status for as long as one is a cardmember; but the benefits of HH Gold outshine those of GP Plats.
    • Receive credit towards earning and maintaining Diamond status after you spend the following:
      • $20,000 in a calendar year = 2 stay / 5 night credits
      • $40,000 in a calendar year = an additional 3 stay / 5 night credits
    This is the kicker! With a $40K spend on the HH Citi Reserve card, one earns the Diamond Status, whereas with the same spend on the Hyatt Visa one gets 2+3 = 5-stay / 5+5 = 10-night credits towards earning the GP Diamond Status. With the GP Diamond Status requiring 25 stays or 50 nights, a $40K spend would earn one only 20% of the number of stays/nights required to reach Diamond, while it would be enough for one to be a HH Diamond! Also, because HHonors permits elite qualification on base points, while GP does not, one can achieve HH Diamond with a "mere" folio-eligible $12K spend. So, it is great to go for a Hyatt Diamond Challenge and get it, but one must also look beyond that and consider the relative degrees of difficulty in maintaining the GP Diamond Status vs. HH Diamond Status after the initial qualification. It is clear to me which way I would go: nowhere because I am just fine where I am. Like I said: I have a fallback program and that is Hyatt GP...uncontested, in the number 2 slot.

That is a realistic evaluation of the "devils" to determine the least evil. It would be a mistake to rush to GP because one would be inheriting what appear to me to be more "difficult" circumstances...but YMMV!

OceanBreezes likes this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what the reason is for this question. I couldn't have earned Hilton or Hyatt or SPG instead of most of the IHG/PC or CC points.

Pretty sure I won't ;)

When I stayed at the Conrad, they told me it was pretty full. I posted elsewhere before a link to the reimbursement policy for award stays as posted on FT. Properties do get "real money" if the occupancy rate is high. Perhaps HHonors was tired of paying real money to high end properties that exceeded the budgeted value of the points I handed them in exchange?

My alternative solution is to not bother to pick Hilton properties by default when staying at a lower-end property. They basically eliminated a reason for me to be loyal... Or perhaps I should call it handcuffs ;)

Don't get me wrong, I have no loss here. I pretty much go for my points what I expected because I didn't have a HHonors balance that wasn't exceeding my need for the year. The real pain was inflicted on those who do have larger balances and no opportunity to use them at old rates.

Nearly certain? If they aren't 100% certain, they ought to be fired or have their heads examined ;)

I like a good swim.

It's a business decision. If it works for them, great. I am sure losing my business isn't going to be noticed by them.

thegrailer and LETTERBOY like this.
  25. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this comment hits the nail on the head. I can still reasonably burn through my points and have at least decent status without having a single paid stay. I direct my stays to other programs and credit card my way to Hilton status for breakfast and/or lounge access.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.