What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by davidbbrenner, May 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, it must be me.

Twice, since the merger, I went on to United.com and used miles to request an upgrade. Both times, as a Platinum, so understanding that nothing happens until inside 72 hours, the miles got taken out, and I keep my fingers crossed that at some point I'd get notified of an upgrade. Both times, while the reservation would show that i was waitlisted for an upgrade until the day of the flight, the united mobile app did not list me as on standby for an upgrade or cleared at all. Both times, the upgrade didn't clear prior to the flight, and both times, when the gate agent was working the flight and I asked where I was on the waitlist, I was told that the system doesn't show me on any waitlist at all, and asked if I'm sure I upgraded.. When I explained that I can assure him/her that the miles came out of my account, so I am concerned because if nothing else, I surely will want to get my miles back, they typed a few keys, and must have seen something, because in both cases, after literally 10 minutes of keystrokes, opening up some little manual they had with codes, I would be given an upgraded seat at the conclusion of everyone's being boarded. Both times when I was handed my seat, I was also given some sort of "you're lucky, I was really able to move some things and make magic happen for you to get this seat!". Because, as mentioned, I was the last to board both times and I didn't want to delay my fellow passengers, I just said thank you, but I was really thinking, that while they should be proud they overcame their own company's system flaws, really, your search for the pat on the back should be from your company, not from your customer .... Because all this nonsense did for me was put me on the plane last, and require me to sit at the gate for 45 minutes vice sitting in a lounge. Same thing happened twice in a row, so it must be something I'm doing - at the time I attributed it to the merger.

So this Sunday, my wife is flying on UA918 from MCO-IAD, so I used an Regional upgrade on her itinerary, and of course, she is waitlisted. No surprise, it was outside of 72 hours. But now it's inside 72, and again, unless I am just hopelessly unable to figure this out, I don't see her name on the mobile app as upgraded or even on the waitlist for an upgrade. I know she won't do what I do asking the gate agent, having them do their "magic" and eventually get an upgrade, assuming one is even left. Then I'll be left to try and get it put back in my account again after the fact, when all I really want in this world is for, one time, to seamlessly request an upgrade, pay for it, and then actually get it without having to become an integral part of their process. Any thoughts on what's going n here? Should I not see BRE, J on the app at this point, either on the upgrade wait list, or confirmed list, on UA918 from MCO-IAD on Sunday?

Thanks, Dave

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that you do not appear on the Upgrade List until you check in for the flight, even if within your upgrade window. Not sure about your prior issues, but maybe this will turn out different?

desamo likes this.
  3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were these for flights booked before or after the merger?
    Were the RPUs applied before or after the merger?

Just trying to narrow down a couple of possibilities.

YULtide and genemk2 like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This matches my RPU experience last week. (Sponsored by a 1MM aka Gold aka 48-hour window.

YULtide and genemk2 like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely had a situation where I never appeared on the upgrade list. 1K, had SWU waitlisted for AMS-IAD-SFO. Didn't clear on AMS-IAD and when I got to the gate, I wasn't on the list for IAD-SFO. That was in March and gate agent had no idea why or what to do. Not clear that I would have cleared anyway and I certainly didn't want to risk having a SWU taken for it. Email to 1KVoice asking for investigation resulted in no meaningful answer (but a meaningful RDM amount as compensation).

In my case, booked after 3/3 and (obviously) also waitlisted for upgrade after 3/3.

6. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, this is continually being reported and this is what the pattern seems to be (not 100% of the time, but many-many times).

A UG instrument is applied and then waitlisted because R=0.
    At T-24 hours your UG request it is kicked out if R=0 (and likely get a e-mail notice about this) and you are offically off the UG list.
    At T-23.9999 hours R becomes >0 but because the instrument and waitlist is cancelled at T-24, you are not on the waitlist. Human intervention is needed at this point (you and a agent) to make things right.

Is it suppose to work like this? Is this going to get fixed at some point?

All this 72 hours, 100 hours, etc. has nothing to do with when R bucket becomes available. And it just seems strange that a lot of times (again, not 100%) at T-23.999 hours, R opens up but really hurts if at T-24 hours we get kicked off the UG list using an intrument.

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience was identical right up to the waitlist part. I was indeed on the waitlist. Due to my relatively low status and fare class (and the fact that I was on a p.s. flight and not due a CPU), I was the last person on the waitlist.

At T-23.9999 hours, R equaled 5.

8. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    So did you call right then and get the UG? (I sure would)

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, and that may have been a mistake.

10. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the very first one, I paid miles before the merger, for a flight on Mar 5. I'll give United a "pass" on that one. For the second, it was in April, everything well post merger, and now this one are all post-merger.