What’s your travel ritual?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by CrankyScott, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    WanderLuster and goodandclassy like this.
  2. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cute...

I do the double-PB thing, and I have a box with most (possibly, all) my travel documents from 1999 on. Box is getting full but I love flipping through some passes, thinking of the trips - etc

I also eat everything from my meal service, other than the salt. I always cut the bread in half and use the butter - before touching any other item... pepper goes on top of the main course. Dessert off to the side for a post-meal tea or scotch :D

i've thought about collecting bottle openers but am too scatterbrained to think about it on every trip...

WanderLuster likes this.
  3. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    interesting article. i haven't really thought about it that much. i do do the double check the room too many times on check out thing. [​IMG] i will have to give it more thought when i travel next weekend. at the moment, i am thinking i don't really do or have a set "thing" i feel compelled to do.

WanderLuster likes this.
  4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting article. I haven't given it much thought either. I have always taken the view, if we leave it at home, we can do without it or buy one when we get there. I always makes sure everyone can put their hands on their ID when we get in the car to leave for the airport. I make them physically show it to me, especially my wife who often time has difficult finding things in her purse or bag.

I have several routines when I travel but they are not much different than my "normal" daily routines when I am at home.

WanderLuster likes this.
  5. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fascinating article. My ritual, if it can be called that, is to always take my travel journal with me. I don't always get the time to write in it, but it goes on every trip. It's a way for me to help process all the things that I'm experiencing on my adventures.

WanderLuster likes this.
  6. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good article - I do lots of things the same way, when I travel. One I have been doing for a long time is wearing small gold stud earrings on the plane, so that I won't lose my earrings or catch them on a blanket or scarf --- may sound strange, but I do this every time and find it reassuring. I also check my purse about 10 times for my boarding pass, always put in the same place, just to be sure it is still there. It's not like I couldn't get another one at the airport, but - I don't want to!

WanderLuster likes this.
  7. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do a couple of things, such as: (1) always putting my boarding pass in the same place in my travel bag; (2) always doing a last minute essentials check (passport/driver's license, credit cards, cash, cell phone, ipod - everything else can be done without or replaced); and (3) always wear a pashmina as a scarf on the plane (Never Ever head out on the road without my version of a Towel!). I'll have to keep an eye on this on my next trip. I'm pretty sure that I have rituals around everything - how I unpack in a hotel room, where I park my car in the airport lot, etc, etc - I'm a creature of habit.

8. jwahl54

jwahl54 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I carry a piece of driftwood from my home town of Sandpoint, Idaho. I grew up on Lake Pend Oreille there and the wood looks a little like my motorcycle. My wife thinks it's weird. So what?

9. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always put my boarding pass in the same place in my bag, but I am also pretty compulsive about things like where my keys and ID go when I'm home, so I don't think that counts as a travel ritual.

However, my feeling it necessary to open every drawer in every piece of my hotel room (mostly to see if anybody has left any interesting reading material behind) should probably count.