What’s it really like inside the world’s most luxurious hotel? The Burj Al Arab, baby.

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Dec 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What’s it really like inside the world’s most luxurious hotel? The Burj Al Arab, baby.

Newscience likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. @gleff is it good bad or indifferent

uggboy likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It is extremely gaudy. It's impressive. And it's massively overhyped.

The smallest rooms are ~ 1750 sq ft if I recall correctly, so that's cool. It's on the water, though not an especially convenient location otherwise.

it wouldn't be my choice in Dubai, even at a competitive price.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Is Dubai even worth seeing

uggboy likes this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    a couple of days, sure (but then i think most places are worth seeing once)

uggboy and suenam like this.
  7. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems to be a place people either love or hate. I'd like to go there once just for the spectacle of it

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We like Dubai, it's recommended. We love the infrastructure, architecture, food & drink outlets, plus the malls and hotels of course. Enjoy. :)

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go for it. It's a great city / emirate to explore. Super airport, infrastructure, hotels, shopping and even culture. It's pretty nice. All is good. :)

10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a difference between "seeing" and "experiencing". Dubai comes recommended, twice, thrice or more. :) This city / emirate changes nearly all the time. We like the architecture, infrastructure, food & drink, shopping opportunities and even the culture is well and alive. It's fascinating to be there IMHO. Would go in a heartbeat again. :)

11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't mind one or two nights or even longer at The Burj Al Arab. :)

13. TBH @uggboy I wouldn't either you pay I stay

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So the malls have (m)any stores that you wouldn't find in other major shopping centers? Sure, there is the ski hill... Infrastructure? I liked driving *out* of Dubai proper in my rental car and seeing other parts of the UAE :) You can probably tell that I am neither a big fan of fancy malls in general nor a big fan of Dubai overall. Visit it once.., sure, been there, done that. Coming back? Not high on my priority list.

15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For us, Dubai ticks the right boxes in many ways. Glad you visited Dubai and could enjoy the UAE. :)

16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to admit...the love of infrastructure is kind of odd. Good infrastructure is mostly an enabler that gets out of the way. Bad infrastructure may be a deterrent, especially if time is limited, but good enough is sufficient. Weird as a number one reason to visit, with culture presented as an afterthought after even the airport.

But then again there's a lot more insane man-made stuff in dubai you could probably label "infrastructure".

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  17. I do think I would go but see Al Maha much nicer view than the other hotels

uggboy likes this.
  18. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same - it was on my bucket list when my 2014 travel was supposed to drop, and spent 24 hours there on my way from Toronto to Moscow (via Istanbul). Was glad I did - although I had just finished watching the "Ultimate Airport" series, and made sure I flew Emirates into DXB just to see their new A380 terminal.

I stayed near the airport, but the metro was easy to access, and gave me a glimpse of the rich and non-rich sides of the city. Architecture is certainly impressive, and I really wished I'd found a way to the monorail to see Atlantis. The opulence is impressive - the ski hill in the mall? Pretty pricey place for the malls and other areas of the city, but it's easy to find local stores and department stores that have incredible pricing.

Really appreciate the link @gleff - my only view was from the metro line, as I heard that to even enter you had to purchase the tea admission... and did not want to spend that much! Seeing it from your eyes was enough for me, and closed the loop.

Agree that most places are worth seeing once - although Dubai was trying very hard to be a Western city, with all the stores. For those from Canada, it's also the only non-NA location where you can find Tim Hortons... and they are more popular than Starbucks, from what I saw.

Infrastructure - yes, shopping - meh?, culture - yes, and if you like dancing or partying... there is a great all-night club scene.

uggboy and gleff like this.
  19. Dubai has a metro !!!! What

uggboy likes this.
  20. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's good Metro system, we enjoyed it and recommend it, it's easy to get around and has many meaningful connections. Very modern and efficient system. Wouldn't hesitate to use it again in the future. Cheers.

Absolute99 likes this.
  21. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For example, the Metro system in Dubai is an "enabler", it's efficient, it's cost effective and it's on time and yes, it's growing, new stations, new connections, new destinations. We're happy to say that this system is often more "efficient" than same European public transportation services. Architecture too, it's overall fascinating what they can / could do in such an environment in terms of creating spaces which many thought to be "impossible". Not everything is negative, of course not everything is positive either, but this could be said to many things / situations / infrastructure projects around the world.

Absolute99 likes this.