wha' happened to thanksgiving fares?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dale.uark, Sep 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dale.uark

dale.uark Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been getting ready to grab a biz fare to somewhere in Europe for Thanksgiving. Saturday nite, virtually all fares hovering around 2100 to most major cities. Sunday morning, everything close to 6000. Showing it on AA and Matrix (indeed virtually all airlines showing nearly tripled fares -- overnite). Were they loaded as 60 day advance purchase or some such? It was not availability as I was watching that pretty carefully, too. Plenty of biz seats to places I was considering. I'm in the midwest, but have checked JFK (as a for instance) and all are up up up ... Any theories?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you see equivalent fares for around Christmas, look at the fare rules to see what advanced purchase rules are being offered. However, on DL the the discounted business class fares seem to require at most 50 days.

3. dale.uark

dale.uark Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to understand why they ALL went up in lockstep - it wasn't a single fare or two - it's every airline. I was watching them carefully, using dozens of city combinations. Low 2000's all as of 11 pm Sat nite (how I spend my evenings :) not proud). Have checked every major search engine ... every city pairing I can think of, majors and minors -- all went to 6k or more overnite. Can't find a single exception. That's just bizarre.