Westin Zagreb

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by TRAVELSIG, May 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently needed a hotel for a quick overnight in Zagreb, and as I have stayed a few times at the nearby Sheraton, I decided to check out the Westin which is only a few blocks away.

The Westin used to be the Hotel Opera, and I had stayed there when it was the Opera and it was completely fine. The investment company which owns the Sheraton also owns the Westin, and they seem to be very reliable and proved to be so. By the way, the centre of Zagreb is quite compact so whichever hotel you choose (if it is indeed in the centre) you are walking distance to pretty much everything or there is a very good tram system. I went for dinner at an excellent restaurant called Balthazar which is about 15 minutes walk from the hotel through the cute centre.

Checkin was around 20:00, and the lobby was fairly quiet with a few tourists asking for restaurant directions etc. The entire check in process took about 5 minutes, and the agent was both friendly and professional.

The room- has been remodelled and looks like a standard Westin room- it has the "Heavenly Shower" and "Heavenly Bed" etc. Even though it was April, it was hot enough to require air conditioning which worked fine and was quiet. I booked a room that included Internet, however I noticed there was no password on the wired connection in the room- so probably anyone who has the ability to use a wired connection will be fine here. Wireless is only in the lobby and requires a password.

What I liked better than the Sheraton: The View is nice- I was on a high floor and the view over the city centre is lovely.

What I didn't like: someone in a room nearby decided to have a party around 04:00 in the morning. In any event, before I even complained the party was silenced so security seemed to be on top of things.

Breakfast was excellent and service was OK. They had a number of tables labeled "Reserved" which thus involved everyone sitting in a smallish space. I suspect there were not so many large reservations however rather that the waitstaff had decided to minimize the number of tables used. Ugh.

Parking had two choices by the way which are outside or underground. I parked outside as it was right in front of the front door of the hotel. It was 80 HRK for a 24 hour period for parking which is pretty much standard for hotels in the centre of Zagreb.

Would I go back? Yes- as long as the price is fair- my rate was 140 EUR including breakfast and tax, which for a four star hotel in Zagreb is about the going rate. Note that the Regent in Zagreb is in a different class altogether, and if it was a very special occasion or a first time visit to Zagreb I would definitely recommend staying there- it is a luxury hotel whereas the Westin is a very solid business and leisure choice.

Kalboz, Mark.Dragon and uggboy like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see that you are sampling all the SPG Yugo properties ... great review, thanks for sharing! :)

TRAVELSIG likes this.