Westin Tysons Corner - experiences/comments...?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Gaucho, May 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im getting what appears to be a decent rate there for an upcoming stay I have near the DC Area.... wondering if any MPers have recently stayed at this property...?

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    The location is not the greatest. It is almost right on the 495/Beltway so lots of possible noise. If you like to shop you are close to Tysons Corner Mall. You will also have to drive to do anything.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. markito

markito Silver Member

Status Points:
    The property itself is fairly old, but they're renovating piece by piece. I think most of be buildings from the inside is general Westin standard.

The staff is generally hospitable, though I've had a negative experience with the valet staff before. Food options are limited, unless you're willing to take the shuttle to nearby restaurants or the Tysons Mall.

I would stay there, but if you're coming from out of town, there has to be a good reason to pick this particular location. If your aim is proximity to DC, pick something in Arlington.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for the great information, greatly appreciated.

The fact is that Im on a very tight budget this trip and not especially sensitive to noise... as far as driving that also isn't a issue for me since I will have a rental car. Food is also not important, I will be doing that at the events I hold and my only free night I have a friend in DC that will take me around so for me, its all about trying to stay at a SPG property and not paying more than $130ish a night and this location comes up as one of those options.

In any event, I will look at options in Arlington.

Thanks

5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    One follow up question if I may..... if I decide to stay at this Tysons Corner location, the two places where I will be holding my wine events are

Location A: Falls Church, VA

Location B: Near the Washington Zoo

How far away am I from both these locations... and is it reasonable for me to get to either of these places in under 1 hour drive, even in rush hour..?? The event for location A is on Saturday at 6pm, location B will be on a Friday at 6pm also.

Thanks in advance for you assistance with this.

6. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Falls Church is fairly close by. The Zoo will be a problem in an hour. You will have to get to DC and then fight your way to the Zoo in the NW part of the city. Rush hour will make the Zoo even worse. Friday traffic is usually bad. 495 to 66E won't be too bad unless there is an accident but 66 into the city can be bumper to bumper almost the entire way as people travel into the city. You could also look at taking Rt 123 into the city. With no traffic it is about 30 minutes approx but on a Friday afternoon I would say probably 1 hr 15 minutes to 1 hr 30 minutes and it could be worse.

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for taking time to answer.... I guess that I will just budget 2 hours for the Zoo to be extra safe.

Last question... how long from IAD to Tysons Corner...? Im told that its usually much cheaper to fly from JFK into IAD rather than DCA..... Thanks.

8. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    IAD 20-25 minutes on a good day. DCA 25-30 minutes on a good day. Dulles is usually cheaper but check both. Sometimes the fares surprise you. I would not look at BWI as the travel time is extensive and a prime area for traffic issues.