Westin Tokyo Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Chad, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here are a few thoughts about a recent stay at the Westin Tokyo.

I had booked six nights at a quite reasonable price under the Z6H (Pay for four, stay six nights) promotion. My booking was for a standard level room and as a SPG platinum was upgraded to an executive level room.

Room

The room was quite large, with a good size desk, couch & coffee table, and of course the heavenly bed. I haven’t stayed at any other hotels in Tokyo but I’d classify the room large by any city standard, let alone Tokyo.

The bathroom was also a good size with separate bath, walkin shower and typical hi tech toto Japanese toilet. Although the toiletries were the standard Westin Brand – the amount of items included was extremely comprehensive.

The highlight of the room was the view – basically stretching from Roppongi hill & the Tokyo Tower across to the Rainbow Bridge. At night it was truly spectacular. The windows also slightly opened which I find to be a big plus.

The room & hotel décor is an “old world” type style, very heavy on marble, which is starting to look a bit dated. I am not a fan of the style of the décor but this is purely subjective. My stay was just prior to Christmas and the hotel looked quite – dare I say – pretty with the seasonal decorations.

As expected for Japan the room & public areas of the hotel were spotlessly clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Executive Lounge

As a platinum member I was also given access to the executive lounge. The lounge appeared to have three food presentations. Breakfast, Afternoon Tea & Happy Hour. Non alcoholic drinks were also available all day. Afternoon tea consisted of a selection of very nice cakes. Happy hour had complimentary alcoholic drinks as well as a limited selection of hot food – nothing of any note.

The lounge it self was a good size but got very crowded on the weekends – during happy hour on a Saturday night I was unable to get a seat. The staff was friendly and effective but I did find them lacking initiative.

Platinum Benefits

As mentioned I was upgraded to an executive level room and given access to the executive lounge. I was also given a late check out. A big benefit given to Platinum members is the ability to have breakfast in the lounge or at the buffet downstairs. The buffet breakfast is excellent in both range and standard and is a very nice perk for platinum members.

I find the location to be excellent, however this is very subjective. This is not a hotel where you walk out the front and are automatically in the heart of things. Although attached to a shopping centre the hotel is largely in a residential area. The nearest train station is about a 10 to 20 minute walk away. However I found the yebisu garden area to be a pleasant spot to get away from the madding hordes. Ebisu is also home to some pretty interesting bars and restaurants. Finally a supermarket and food court is very close by which is handy for stocking up on supplies.

Conclusion

I have to get really petty to come up with the following slight negatives of the stay :

· I got a different random newspaper delivered each day
    · Evening Turndown is by request only – something I wasn’t told at checkin. In fact the entire check in experience was slightly poor
    · On weekends queuing can be required for the breakfast buffet
    · My laundry came back in boxes rather than the hanger choice I ticked (very petty I know!)

In two weeks I have another ten day stay booked for this hotel – so that pretty much says it all – highly recommended.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed recently at this property and have only positive things to say. The free buffet breakfast (at the restaurant) for Platinums is an extremely valuable benefit. Breakfast options range from traditional Japanese to continental and service is impeccable.
    Platinums also get free Internet access--while it is more or less standard these days, it's worth calling out.
    In terms of location, there are both a JR train station and a Tokyo subway station approximately 10 minutes away. While many hotels in Tokyo are closer to transit, having direct access to both JR and the subway is a perk. Also, the walk to JR and the subway is covered and there are moving sidewalks all the way, so hauling bags isn't an issue. For those who prefer not to carry their bags, there is an airport bus stop right outside the hotel. (Keep in mind, though, that it's a long bus ride to/from NRT.)
    I think my only slightly negative experience with the hotel was checkin. The line was long. Seeing an SPG Gold/Plat sign, I made my way to the elite desk, only to be (politely) reprimanded by the staff, who explained in broken English that I had to wait for my turn and wait in the "general" line despite my status. I just wish more Starwood properties actually used and enforced the elite line...

uggboy likes this.
  3. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plat. members can also check in up at the executive lounge.

uggboy likes this.
  4. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    How's the walk from either station around midnight? I'll be landing late and jetlagged. Are there clear signs pointing usto the hotel from stations?

uggboy likes this.
  5. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    The two stations are right next to each other, the buildings are connected.
    Follow the signs to Yebisu garden. You'll be led through multiple moving sidewalks. When you finally emerge outside, just keep going straight and cross the plaza. You'll see a 19th century looking building (a French restaurant if memory serves), the Westin is the tower behind it. Basically, use the Yebisu garden exit and keep walking straight ahead :) It's easy (and very safe too.)
    I wish they had told me. Good to know.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with Pat+. Couldn't be easier - just keep heading straight from the station.

[​IMG]

The above is taken from Ebisu Garden heading from the train station. The Westin is the building above the archway with the roof lit up - you won't be able to miss it. From memory the indoor/underground door to the Westin is locked at about 10.00pm - so stay above ground.

uggboy likes this.
  7. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the guys working the executive lounge is an avid surfer and I got a lot of great recommendations form him on best areas to surf around Tokyo. Stayed at the Westin for a month before moving into an apartment. Used to work in the office tower next door.

uggboy likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have just a few brief comments to add based on a two-night stay in summer 2010 when I was upgraded to a wonderful one-bedroom suite. (I understand that suite upgrades should not be expected at this property.)

The only disadvantage is location. This hotel is noticeably farther from NRT than hotels in the Ginza/Tokyo Station area and it seems like a very long ride on the airport limosine-bus, almost two hours in traffic.Also, service is not as frequent as to some other neighborhoods.

The lounge is strict about the ending hour for evening snacks and drinks. When arriving on a TPAC flight, the odds are that you will miss happy hour on your first night.

The buffet breakfast downstaris, which is offered to Plats as an alternative to the lounge breakfast, is huge and varied, but also crowded and noisy. Don't miss the warm white chocolate sauce for waffles, which is wonderful with bacon.

uggboy likes this.
  9. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotel is a bit far from the station (via walkway) and limousine bus service is not as frequent as for some other hotels but the area is an oasis in the bustle of Tokyo. Take a cab and within 5 minutes you are in Hiroo and Azabu (can even walk) which has an abundance of very nice restaurants. There is also a very nice French bistro in waling distance called Marche aux puces (nominoichi in Japanese) plus some nice soba and unagi places. For real excitement go to the other side of Ebisu station which has pubs, bars and some nice izakayas.

uggboy likes this.