Westin / Sheraton Fort Lauderdale

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Mike Reed, Jul 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just spend two weekends back-to-back in Fort Lauderdale: first weekend at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale and the second at the Westin Fort Lauderdale. I've stayed at the Westin before, but not the Sheraton. Turns out both are run by the same GM, Amaury Piedra, and that's where the good story starts.

SPG Platinum w/Ambassador. Upgraded at both properties to suites. At the Sheraton, 5th floor at the "bow" of the Clipper. No balcony, but great window views of the beach and a volleyball tournament that weekend. At the Westin a great suite facing the ocean in the south tower. South tower is key since it doesn't overlook the pool so when you open the windows you get nothing but ocean.

Nice pre-arrival email from each hotel introducing the team and concierge, and I got to use the concierge at the Westin to locate a great Cuban spot in Miami for dinner and make reservations.

The real key, though, is the staff at both hotels. It's very obvious they're well run and the expectations are high. Service was excellent, from check-in to requesting a set of bedding for a fold-out couch at the Sheraton to a rollaway at the Westin. Very attentive beach staff at the Sheraton, same for the pool staff at the Westin. Beach chairs available at both locations.

Restaurant staff quick, knowledgeable and on-the-ball. For breakfast, choice of Continental Breakfast or $15 credit to any other menu item (x2 ppl) (chose BK as the Platinum Amenity - $30/day value clearly topped 500 points one-time). Fast and hot room service at the Sheraton for a working lunch.

I can't stress enough the consistent level of service across every employee. In a time where a bed and a shower makes a hotel room, it's nice to see a set of properties that just "get it right."

2. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree. I've stayed a few times at the Westin FLL, and it's always a great experience. I've been PLT with Starwood for 15 years, and my first stay at the Westin was the first time I ever facetimed with my kids back home to show them how huge and awesome the suite was that I got for my stay there. Great hotel.

Mike Reed likes this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Good that they've gotten their act together. The properties were a disgrace to Starwood befor the redo and I was not at all impressed when I stayed at the Westin a couple of years back. Room was tiny and that was an upgraded top floor corner room. The bathroom was so small that I had to open the door, step in and then close the door to get to the toilet bowl

Pool was meh and very crowded. Beach is across the street. Service was nothing special.

If you don't have to stay on FLL beach, the Westin Diplomat 20 minutes away is a much better bet in my book, but it might be worth going back after a couple of good reviews as the properties are always dirt cheap

4. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a Sheraton fan, so I'm slightly biased.

The Sheraton is such a wierd property and it's three buildings. The pools are small and not well kept. I, in good conscience, couldn't recommend staying here. Unless, it's super cheap or you're in the area and need a cheap night near the beach.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind the three buildings, personally. While we were there, the pool was very well kept, despite heavy traffic back and forth from the beach and lots of kids.

6. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:

I don't like all that walking. Also, they don't have many suites, like the Westin or W.

Which pool did you try or do you mean both pools? The interior pool is a mess and the beachfront pool's deck is small and very crowded. Also, I didn't like all the rat traps around it.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were in a suite, so I wouldn't know how many they had. The garage is a bit of a walk (across the pedestrian bridge) but otherwise it wasn't any more than most convention-sized hotels I'm used to.

We only used the beachfront pool. While full, I wouldn't call it crowded - there were several flight crews on layovers lounging around the area (I had a great discussion with a B6 crew!). Perhaps it was because there was a sponsored volleyball tournament that weekend, so most people were watching one of the two dozen matches going on at the beach... or because the beachfront itself was definitely crowded being a warm, sunny weekend with strong surf.

I didn't see any rat traps, but I wasn't looking. Given the outdoor location and food, I'd expect the hotel to be aggressively curtailing vermin in some form or other, and it certainly wasn't visible enough that I noticed either signs of a problem or a solution.

8. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:

Usually I'm in the same suite you were in. As you can see at :29 you can see the main building to the ocean front building where I was located on my most recent stay. I play volleyball so was happy to watch the games.

This is the room I was assigned at my most recent stay. It was the smallest room I've ever been in. LOL

The three times I've been at this property the Ocean pool was packed. And the walk from the Ocean front rooms to the rooms in the tower where the garage is is a hike, as I had a friend in that tower.

The only reason I saw the rat traps is I drop my sunglasses, I looked down and there were two commercial traps and I looked down on the side of the building and all along the building there are traps.

It's a Sheraton, it's not terrible, but the property just doesn't do it for me.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Westin Diplomat seems to be the property with the best reviews... and given a choice I'd prefer the Westin over the Sheraton here just because I'm a "Westin guy." I think what sold it for me, though, was the availability we needed when we needed it, then the consistently superb service at both properties managed by the same GM. In a game where service is king, these two are on track.

Come to think of it it's strange - the Sheraton/Westin beach hotels on Maui come out with the Sheraton on top right now. I've never stayed at the Westin, but every review I see of it is dreadful.

10. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Diplomat is a nice property, but too far away from civilization.

I love the Westin beach resort. Good Service and a great spot on the beach!

I always get a good suite here.