Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa, Avon, CO

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by mdtravel, Aug 8, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just finished a 3 night stay at this hotel with my wife and 7 year old daughter. I had some trepidation based on some reviews I'd read. I left feeling that they were, measured by my personal experience, largely if not completely unfounded.

I booked a paid 3 night stay. I knew that this was a resort that had valet only parking and a resort fee and no offset for Plats because I'd done some research. I also knew the place was almost fully booked so I: 1. Booked the room I wanted (a one bedroom suite) and 2. Did not expect a further upgrade.

There were a couple of service failings, but overall we left feeling it was the perfect hotel for us and what we wanted to do. I'd go back again, plan to go back again, and recommend it.

We arrived at 11:00 on a Saturday. Our room wasn't ready...oh well. I left my cell number and we went out for some activities. When we returned at 4:10 we were told that the room wasn't ready and that we hadn't been fully 'pre checked in' which is why it wasn't ready. We were given a $50 voucher to use at Maya, so we went to the veranda and had a few drinks and a snack until our room was ready at around 4:45. The room was in great shape. Full kitchen and washer/dryer were awesomely handy. The pullout bed, already made unlike 90% of the other hotels I stay in including five diamond / 12 star places, was great for my daughter and she loved the gas fireplace (we loved having a timer on it).

We ate at Maya two times for dinner. One time, we had a fail on a steak but it was rectified. Plat breakfast is in Maya as well. It is good for the cont buffet. My daughter and I had it two days in a row, and both days I was handed a bill for $1.68...the tax on the buffet I guess. Oh well, it allowed me to throw a couple of bucks at the staff for, well, breaking with the definition of cont breakfast for my daughter.

We used the pool two times for a total of 5 hours. The pool and three hot tubs were very well maintained. The drink and food service outside was prompt and efficient.

The valet staff was pretty on top of things except during peak arrivals and departures which is understandable.

We took the shuttle to Vail one night for dinner at Elways; easy transport option.

We had lobby drinks a couple of times and found the service to be above average.

We had Starbucks each morning.

We didn't use the spa or the work out world at all, but walked by it and envied those with the fortitude to break a sweat while on vacation!

So overall, a real good stay and a very nice hotel. Would definitely return, and are talking about doing so during the winter.