Westin Providence (Rhode Island) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a modern Westin located in downtown Providence, several blocks from the river. Walkable but on the other side of the river one finds RISD (the Rhode Island School of Design), a good modern art museum, and Brown University (up the hill). Behind the hotel is a large indoor shopping mall, including a collection of restaurants. There's a small town square almost in front of the hotel. The area includes restaurants and bars, plus some are galleries.

The hotel itself is a modern building, about twenty stories high, that seems to take up most of a downtown block. The circular entrance has valet parking. he front desk check in area is in the rear of the lobby. Although I've always stayed in the same area (preferred room but no real upgrade or suite as either Gold or Plat), I think there are two towers of rooms in the hotel, in addition to some condo units with a separate entrance. I've never been granted lounge access here and I suspect that there is no lounge.

I honestly can't remember anything very specific about the rooms I've been given here, either good or bad. They were essentially what I expected and in good but not outstanding condition. As a Plat, I once had a larger room with a not-well-defined sitting area. Bathrooms weren't memorable either.

The hotel has several food and beverage outlets, but be aware that at least one of the restaurants in the lobby does not permit guests to do room charges (so no SPG points on F&B spend here either). These are very popular on weekends so that it can be difficult to obtain a reservation or a table.

Service seemed fine but not exceptional. I've experienced waits here to check in and check out. In fact, I've had the misfortune to stay here several times when the hotel was apparently filled with athletic teams that arrived by bus and swamped the lobby whenever they were coming or going. (These were generally long weekend visits, Thursday or Friday through late Sunday.)

SC Flier and Jslo like this.
  2. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only stayed here once, but, there are definitely two towers. I got a large room as a Platinum that had a little living room area as well.

Check-in around 9PM or so was slow at best. This place was also a real pain to find driving around with Google Maps open.

SC Flier likes this.
  3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points: