Westin Princeville Resort Villas Kauai Promo - $798 5 nights

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Casey Friday, Apr 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got an email with an offer for 5 nights at the Westin Princeville Resort in Hawaii for $798 with either 5,000 SPG points or a $75 resort voucher and a $185 Avis certificate. $159.60 a night, as long as I book 60 days out. I just checked an August booking of 5 nights which comes out to $320 per night, so this looks to be a great deal.

I really want to pull the trigger on this, but I wanted to check with MP'ers first, to see first of all if anyone has stayed at this resort and what your thoughts are, and also if you think $160/night is a good deal. The only deal-breaker for me is that Southwest isn't flying to Hawaii yet, so I can't use my boatload of points + CP to get a free flight out there. However, I can book this thing 12 months in the future for the same price, which could give me the maximum potential to take Southwest for free.

Anyway, what do you think of this price?

uggboy, jwsky, MX and 3 others like this.
  2. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    North Shore of Kauai is really beautiful & my favorite island place. I usually spend a couple of months on the No. Shore each year & have had dinner at the Westin Villas many times. The layout for the Villas is very nice, with high end furnishing; if you can get an ocean view unit, all the better. Villas are cliff-side, so no direct beach access, but you do have the free shuttle that goes between the Villas & the St. Regis. This means you can use the St. Regis beach, which is wonderful & very beautiful (approx. 1.5 miles down the road). Several very nice pools & great landscaping makes this a very lovely resort.

At that price, think you would be quite happy - I'd go for it.

uggboy, sendaiben, jwsky and 3 others like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

The price is fair, but having taken them up on this offer once I would never do it again.

When we go to Hawaii (which is at least once a year) we want to be on the beach.

The property is not on the beach and not really walking distance to the beach. The property itself is very much like the timeshare that is .

If you want a timeshare type of vacation, you may like it. If you want a resort, don't even think about it.

uggboy, jwsky, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  4. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I definitely don't want a timeshare-like experience, so maybe I should wait for a deal on the St. Regis... however, Travelsavant's commentary makes me think it'd still be a good idea.

My wife and I don't mind walking to the beach, so as long as it's <20 minutes away, we'd still dig the digs. I'll have to keep thinking about this one. Any more input from other frequenters of the Islands?

uggboy, marcwint55 and jwsky like this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Of course, I don't mind taking a shuttle or driving to the beach and actually enjoy cliff-side accommodations. Another factor to me is that since it essentially is a timeshare, the room is bound to be more spacious and have the amenities of a timeshare which allow you to feel more at home (i.e. kitchenette).

6. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have stayed in Princeville at a relative's condo. Having a kitchen really saved us money. We did eat out, but Kauai is very very expensive, even in the grocery store. Try to shop at Costco or Walmart near the airport when you arrive.

We visited the St Regis. It is beautiful! Their pool and beach area was great til they tossed us out (nicely)

You will need a car anyway, so packing some food and beverage for short rides to many or the nearby beaches is easy.

uggboy, marcwint55 and Casey Friday like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're staying at the Westin for three nights later this year, for a nearby wedding. I booked it with cash and points before the deval. I don't expect us to have a ton of time to spend at the beach, so the savings compared to the St. Regis seemed worth it.

marcwint55 and Casey Friday like this.
  8. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I talked to my wife about it, and we decided that if we go to Hawaii, we want to stay in a HomeAway house or something with a monthly rental so that we can enjoy it a bit longer, and focus on island activities; whereas if we stay at a resort, we'll just watch HGTV the whole time.

Thanks for your input, everyone! It was extremely helpful in our decision. Now time to plan how to use this BA 2-4-1 voucher.

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  9. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a regular shuttle that takes you to St. Regis. There is a path to go down to the beach nearby too, but it is around 20 minutes and a bit of an incline.

It's a good price for a good hotel - I wouldn't reject it because you can't stroll to the beach in two minutes.

uggboy, Casey Friday and marcwint55 like this.
  10. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this a timeshare deal like Hilton where you have to take a tour and go through a sales pitch or is it no strings attached?

uggboy likes this.
  11. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No strings attached.

uggboy likes this.
  12. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    They do offer a presentation in exchange for an additional points (subject to minimum income and a few other criteria). Of course, not required to enjoy the deal. I don't remember the exact amount, but something like 8000 spg points for an hour tour and sales attempt seemed sufficiently generous for me.

uggboy likes this.
  13. Arminski

Arminski New Member

Status Points:
    So, has anyone taken this offer? I've done a similar one with Hilton and after the required presentation....never again. Does the Princeville deal require the presentation? I don't see it in the paperwork I received.

uggboy likes this.
  14. HomerJ
    Original Member

HomerJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Kaanapali Westin TS and we were required to take the presentation. We were not gifted points but a $150 resort credit which combined with a tasting menu dinner special at the resto, turned out to be a rather good deal. Make sure if you are PLAT you let them know as we were slotted into the lowest room category but were u/g'd to a one bedroom ocean view (even though they say no Plat recognition). Presentation was about 90 minutes long (we booked a time but had a morning when it was raining, walked to the desk and said we wanted the presentation now and they obliged no problem. Ownership costs were OK (buying pre-owned on VRBO is less than 1/2) BUT the big issue is the absurd maintenance costs.
    I told them that and that was about it.
    So I'm not sure if the Princeville property has the same requirements but if you take/do the Kaanapali one you will be giving them 90 minutes of your time.

uggboy likes this.
  15. loungebuddy

loungebuddy Active Member

Status Points:
    I actually really liked this resort, despite the lack of beach. Can always take the shuttle to St. Regis. Loved the washer/dryer and kitchenette - it's definitely a huge plus if you go with family.

uggboy likes this.