Westin - Portland OR - Master thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by dhammer53, Dec 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from a 4 day/3 night stay using cash and points. The hotel offered a regular room, and a corner room for the same price. All the windows in the corner room + the bathroom windows were a real plus.

Free street parking overnight. Move your car by 8:00am or feed the meter using a credit card.

Since the hotel offered computers in the lobby, I left mine home. Big mistake. The Westin has 4 Ipad computers built into a counter adjacent to the lounge. Since I don't have an Ipad, I found it a real pain typing on the screen. These computers at times worked on circa 1996 performance levels. [​IMG] I did have a couple of other issues which were dealt with quickly by the GM.

The bathroom is oversized, and had a hugh walk-in rainfall showerhead. My wife was pleased. [​IMG]

Check out Mother's for breakfast. It's a 10 minute walk. If you have a car, check out Helsers on Alberta. It's a 10 - 15 minute drive.

Our 2 big meals were at Paley's on NW 23rd ($9- $10 cab ride), and The Heathman (10 minute walk).

The front desk staff and the doorman were great.

We booked The Westin because C&P were available. If this option isn't available, and since The Nines and The Westin are both 10,000 point properties, I'd choose The Nines. We asked to take a look at their most basic room. It was [​IMG] [​IMG].
    I think it's what you'd call a boutique hotel. [​IMG]

The Nines is a half block from the light rail that comes from the airport (40 minutes and $2.10). The Westin is a block further away. Both properties = great location.

SC Flier, Toula, Dreamworks and 4 others like this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just completed a 3 night stay at this property and have to say we really enjoyed this property.

Staff were extremely friendly from checkin, to doorman to bar staff. We stayed in the Studio Suite which was what we booked. Room was spacey and we enjoyed the bathroom as much as dhammer did. Shower was one of the better ones out there.

This hotel participates in the Green Choice program so we were able to forgo daily room service to take advantage of the additional 500 points.

Food on property is excellent. We had breakfast in Daily Grill one one day and we both enjoyed it. We dined in the bar two evenings and if you can partake of their Happy Hour (think it is 5.30 to 7.00 p.m.) the drinks are reasonably priced and the food ranges between $4 and $6 a night and is very tasty.

We had considered staying at the Nine but decided against it as we would be there over the New Year's Eve period and taking into account noise consideration we thought The Westin would be a better fit. We were so happy with our time at this property we would probably stay there again if we venture back to Portland. We did take a look at the Nine, but feel it maybe has a younger demographic which would likely equate to more room noise.

dhammer53 likes this.