Westin Poinsett (Greenville, South Carolina) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This restored property enjoys a great location in the center of Greenville, a small city with a pleasant historic center, entertainment, and a park featuring some attractive falls. The hotel is on the main business street (which is sometimes closed to traffic for farmers' markets, festivals, and other entertainment), about one block before the river and several blocks from the falls, which are located on the far side of the river along with a neighborhood with a "downtown" feel.

The hotel is about ten stories high. It was build in the 1920s and the lobby has been beautifully restored. The hotel has a small circular carriage entrance which a couple parking spaces for loading and unloading. There is valet parking as well as self parking in a multi-level partially-enclosed public parking structure connected to the hotel. (I'm not sure whether I would be comfortable taking the path into the hotel late at night, although the neighborhood around the hotel seems fine.)

The lobby is on the second floor, accessed by a couple small and very slow dedicated elevators. Upon leaving these elevators, the front desk is on your right side of the lobby, where one can find the bank of elevators going to rooms on the upper floors. These elevators are also slow and, in fact, I found the elevator situation to be extremely frustrating, easily the most negative aspect of the hotel.

This hotel is acknowledged as the best in the area. IIRC it's officially a historic hotel/historic building. Its function rooms host many prominent events in the Greenville-Spartenburg area (GSP airport, home to BMW's North American research, testing, and production facilities, including a museum, plus a branch of Clemsen University in a research park). Local society weddings are commonplace at this property.

As a Plat on a cheapo rate for a single night, I was first upgraded to a suite in advance and then downgraded to a deluxe room (not sure what the category was called) and then upgraded again to a smaller suite. The suite I occupied has a small interior living room (dark, with no windows) that one entered (no foyer of any sort) directly and walked through to the bedroom, The suite was traditionally furnished and could have benefitted from refreshing and updating. The bathroom was fine and in good condition, but hadn't been modernized.

The hotel has no lounge (no alternative benefits are offered) and no swimming pool. When I was there, the restaurant was closed for a special event and an abbreviated supper menu was being served in the lobby and bar. The barman send me to a wonderful foodie restaurant several blocks away for dinner (Saturday evening). Sunday brunch looked mobbed and I opted out, choosing a nearby coffee house.