Westin Melbourne, Australia - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Leumas, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hotel is probably one of the best Westins anywhere (the other nice one is in Sydney). Great staff, right from the doorman to the maintenance guy. The property is right in the middle of the CBD, allowing you to walk anywhere, and within a block of Federation Square and the Yarra River.

Rooms are generally big, with separate bath and showers. They have also been revonated in 2010 with new carpet and new furniture. Some deluxe rooms also have little balconies, but they are more for show than functional. Rooms on the city side are better, otherwise, you'll be looking at a wall.

There is a swimming pool, steam room and gym underground. But only the gym is open, the rest is closed until March or April.

Pros:
    - Nice big rooms, all with separate showers and baths
    - Recently renovated rooms
    - Great decor
    - Good bar and restaurant
    - Great staff
    - Free wifi in lobby

Cons:
    - Hardly any suites. SPG Platinums most often get a junior suite, which is really just a corner room.
    - No lounge, but the business centre has a few sofas and computers available. Not many people know about this and therefore it's often empty. There're also biscuits and tea/coffee in the business centre
    - Can be expensive

uggboy and jswong like this.
  2. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stay at the Westin Melbourne on average once a month, below are a few thoughts based on my last stay (December 2010) and previous stays.

Simply can’t be beaten. Right in the heart of the CBD, easy walk to David Jones/Myer and the upmarket designer stores on Collins Street. Tram at the front door for extended trips to St Kilda, Carlton etc. Two Supermarkets within easy walking distance.

Rooms

Four main types – three of which are very similar in size. The cheapest rooms face the rear courtyard and adjacent building – I have never stayed in one of these so can’t comment.

The next room type is the City View, these are apparently the same size as the courtyard rooms, but face on to Swanston Street.

The next category is the Deluxe Rooms, these are similar to the city view rooms but have either a balcony or a glassed in bay window. The balcony/bay window is the only difference in size between these and the city view rooms.

The standard rooms have been recently (last twelve months) “refreshed” which updated the TV and other minor improvements to the rooms.

The rooms themselves are a good size with, of course, the heavenly bed, desk and lounge chair. The new LCD TV also accepts computer inputs/outputs via plugs on the desk.

The bathroom is one of the room’s strong points with a separate bath, walk in shower and dual basin sink. Toiletries are the standard westin brand.

The other room is the corner studio. This is a substantial increase in size. The bathroom is also larger with a spa bath. Windows on both sides of this room create a really light and airy space.

Photos of Studio Room:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Life as a platinum

The hotel honors 4.00 pm without any fuss and is usually offered without prompting at checkin. A Gold/Platinum checkin desk is actively staffed. The morning newspaper is always delivered without fail. However the one thing platinum’s can care most about is upgrades. This hotel is very busy and often full – so plan accordingly. The hotel has two suites that are not part of the upgrade pool – so the best you can hope for is the very nice corner studio. However these are limited in number – my experience is that if they can upgrade you to one of these they will but they are often sold out. If not you will often most likely get upgraded to the deluxe room.

Staff

The staff are generally very good. The recently appointed GM, Debra (ex Sheraton Perth) is very hands on and will actively solve problems. Ian at the (overpriced) valet is very good and worth a mention. The weakest staff I have encountered are at breakfast, where a slight crowd seams to through them into a panic.

Conclusion

Some platinums may be disappointed because if you don’t get a corner studio you have little to show for your status – however despite this is one of the better Westins worldwide. My only negatives are that I find that prices within the hotel (valet, breakfast, room service & minibar) are rapidly becoming too uncompetitive. I have also had some minor issues with housekeeping standards. Some rooms do suffer from street noise, but except for slamming doors interior noise is non-existent. Also early Wednesday evenings the bell ringers in the church next door have practice – I would recommend not having a room facing the church on that night!

uggboy likes this.
  3. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree on most of the above.
    The rear facing rooms are fairly dark - limited natural light.
    Very central location.
    2010 renovation was minor - pretty much just the tvs and a few coverings

Other big plusses
    Great pool (indoor 20m) and good gym
    Good bar
    Plenty of cafes around if looking for an alternate breakfast

Negatives
    Lack of availability at cheap rates (often not available at my corporate rate)
    No exec lounge

4. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, let's be serious here. How come no one has mentioned the *outstanding* Martini lounge at the lobby level? Does it not exist anymore? It's the most outstanding martini selection I've enjoyed in my entire life. So much, that, on my way back to my room, I, err, had difficulties operating the elevator... you know, my room key would simply not fit the reader. Damn ancient technology... gotta replace them by contactless-drunken-proof readers :)
    In all seriousness, I haven't been to the Westin Melbourne in a couple years but it's my favorite Westin in the world.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I certainly enjoyed my time there last summer European time (Aug-Sep). I had a high city-view room, and the weather was very favorable. The Regent Theatre is right next door (West Side Story was offered while we were there, and we got half-price tickets about two blocks away - up Swanston Street). The hotel's business center seemed virtually unknown, so getting on the free Internet was easy and comfortable. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. All in all, a fine property.

6. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    on a recent stay, found the noise from the city or street side a problem- the faux balcony was nice for fresh air, but the door seal was not sufficient to block street noise- esp the public transport.

7. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a fantastic 5-night award stay there as a Platinum in early 2008. No corner studios were available for my first two nights (it happened to be during the first week of the Australian Open tennis tourney), and the room was so large that I didn't see the need to move mid-stay. While I had a nicer room on my return the following weekend at the PH, the location and the friendliness of the staff couldn't be beat. Example: they had no problem storing a 26" suitcase for me while I was in Tasmania for five days, even though they knew I wasn't staying at the Westin upon my return (although I did fib and say that I was staying with relatives instead of admitting to the PH.)