Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali or Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by garyst16, May 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be taking my wife to Maui for her 50th birthday. I tried to talk her into Italy, but she wants Hawaii - go figure! The trip is for 4 adults (2 rooms) no children. Any reviews of the properties would be helpful. I searched the MP board and didn't find much except for a post regarding kids. I am a SPG Platinum member so should I expect an upgrade?

uggboy and gleff like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    As a Starwood Platinum you'll odds-on get an upgrade from the smaller direct ocean view rooms that are further back on the property, closer to the reception area and further from the water itself, to a larger and newer room with a view.

Of course whether you do better or worse than this depends on the dates, they get lots of Platinums and over heavy holiday weekends/weeks upgrades can be a challenge. If a specific room type is important here, it can be a good idea to book it directly rather than hope for the upgrade.

If memory serves Platinums also get a series of discounts on food and spa treatments. There's no lounge so no breakfast benefit.

It's a busy resort, though I never had a hard time getting a chair by the pool. It's next door to the Whalers Village shopping center so there are plenty of sotres nearby, though persoanlly I recommend having a car and self-parking for free (included in the 'resort fee'). Then you can head down to the local grocery store to provision yourselves, there is a refrigerator in the room which is empty and that you can fill. And of course then you can go off property for some meals.

It's a good resort but a big, busy resort, some beautiful views and you'll definitely enjoy the sunset there. But it's not a place where Platinums are given the world, they just don't have what to give.

uggboy likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to consider how much walking you want to do. I usually stay at the Westin, which is convenient to shopping and half way between the Hyatt (great luau) and Sheraton (snorkeling at Black Rock). My parents always complained about the walk to Black Rock when they were in their 50s, and I'm sure they would complain more now that they're in their 60s. But maybe you don't need to go snorkeling every day. Besides being more convenient overall, the Westin is also nicer IMO.

uggboy, wheat27 and garyst16 like this.
  4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    gleff's comments are specifically about the Westin Maui Resort.

From the thread title, it seems that garyst16 is asking about both the Westin and the Sheraton. I'd like to also mention the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas -- an SVO property which is just north of the Sheraton.

garyst16, I don't think that you'll find a definitive answer about which one to choose. I've only stayed at the Westin Resort, and I may comment later with my own experiences there.

uggboy and garyst16 like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear, my comments are specifically about the Westin Maui Resort -- not about the Sheraton where I haven't ever stayed.

6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, Scottrick - Both of us are very active and enjoy walking. The one thing my wife said she must do while in Hawaii is snorkeling! She loves swimming with the fish!

uggboy likes this.
  7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for clarifying the response "FROM" Gleff. I assumed it was about the Westin but was not sure. I would love to hear your opin re the Westin and will def check out the WKORV.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend against the ORV. The region north of Black Rock is not very easy to walk from hotel to hotel. As far as I recall, there's no boardwalk linking the hotels between them and the beach, and being on the north side of Black Rock will make it difficult to walk down to Kaanapali. Frankly I would just stay on Kaanapali beach. But, as people have said, it depends on what you want to do while you're there.

9. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the additional info, Scottrick. I think I would prefer to stay closer to town where I have the ability to walk to see the area.

uggboy likes this.
  10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than hotels and the Whalers Village shopping center, there's not really much to the town of Ka'anapali in this area. The closest town atmosphere is a few miles south in Lahaina. In the map below from Google Earth are the SPG/SVO properties as well as the above-mentioned Hyatt. Black Rock is the point in front of the Sheraton.
    [​IMG]

From the Westin Resort to the south side of Black Rock is 0.5 miles.
    From the WKORV to the north side of Black Rock is 0.6 miles.
    The Whalers Village shopping center is immediately on the north side of the Westin Resort.

There is a free inter-resort shuttle that runs between all of the Starwood properties. They also share a free hourly shuttle to/from Lahaina. Shuttle schedule.

The county has bus service between Whalers Village and several stops in Lahaina. $1 per boarding, or $2 for a day pass. This bus starts much earlier in the morning than the resort's shuttle.

11. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Appreciate the additional info, SC!

uggboy and SC Flier like this.
  12. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm also an SPG Plat trying to decide between these properties for 2 adults in September. Any additional advice is welcome!

uggboy likes this.
  13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, there isn't much of a village at Whaler's Village. You should visit Lahaina. But there is absolutely nothing north of Black Rock except the hotels, so at least Whaler's Village is something (and there are limited hotel options in Lahaina).

You didn't mention the pineapple train. Does that still run between Kaanapali and Hawaii? A little more fun than a shuttle bus, though less convenient.

uggboy and OneSweetWorld like this.
  14. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.sugarcanetrain.com/

Daytime only. The dinner train has been discontinued.

uggboy likes this.
  15. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been some time for me. I've been hanging out on Oahu. But I'm going back in Feb!

uggboy likes this.
  16. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went to Maui in December and had the same issue. We went with Westin and I think we made the right choice. Ka'anapali is better if you have a family because you have a kitchen and stuff but it is not on the main strip. While Sheraton looked nice, I personally think Westin's are better. Also the pool at Westin was much nicer.

Also unrelated but you have to go to Mamas fish house when you are in Maui. Surprise the wife with that one. The food will blow your mind.

uggboy and wheat27 like this.
  17. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at both the Westin and Sheraton back in fall of '08. We preferred the Westin for the overall atmosphere and the pool. As just lowly SPG members without status, we were upgraded to partial ocean view on a cash and points stay. The Sheraton definitely gets the nod for having the best beach of the two as it is much wider the closer you are to black rock. On a side note, I agree about Mama's Fish house, a stay on the island just isn't complete without at least one meal at Mama's.

uggboy likes this.
  18. Brooklyn Bum

Brooklyn Bum Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Sheraton last year in August.

As a plat I was 'upgraded' to a 'deluxe' partial ocean room. In reality what that meant was I got a few extra feet of space in the hallway and if you sat at a 90 degree angle on the balcony you could kind of see the ocean. The room and property were worn out and the staff wasn't particularly helpful. The pool was great and the beach was amazing.

The walk to the Whaler's Village was very pleasant, but about a 10-15 minutes stroll.

uggboy likes this.
  19. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:
    I am spending 3 complimentary nights and 4 days on Ka'anapali beach (Maui) using 3 different hotels and I shall share my findings.
    My first night was at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas using a free night from the latest promotion.
    When I checked in at 1.30 pm they did not have a room and in truth the check in time is 4.00 pm.
    My gold status meant nothing.
    When I eventually got my room/villa (#3312) , I entered a small bedroom with a tiny kitchen quarter in the entry way.
    The room did not have any balcony but stood right above a busy and noisy jacuzzi as well as an outdoor noisy restaurant looking at the "kid's pool".
    The coach/sofa, carpets and the phone next to the bed were very dirty.
    The room looked pretty beat up...
    I was not able to get a 4.00 pm check out but managed to keep the room until noon.
    Check in is 4.00 pm and check out is 10.00 am.
    Needless to say if you plan on staying only one night you won't have time to enjoy.
    I think that with such parameters a minimum stay period should be required.
    When I checked out I had to wait 15 minutes to do so.
    I found the staff to be lacking in every way .
    The valet parking team however was the sole exception did a great job.
    The beach in front of the hotel is very nice.
    This was one of the worst stay I have experienced in Hawaii and clearly this property is very lacking.
    I moved today to the Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Lahaina+Napili Towers and will report tomorrow.

uggboy likes this.
  20. Downunder girl
    Original Member

Downunder girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I posted on the other thread comparing Westin and Sheraton. But here is a brief comment for this thread.

I really didnt like the Westin but loved the Sheraton.
    Westin: had to fight to get suite upgrade at 8pm at night, although suites were available online and then got upgraded to the worst looking suite (so run down) that I have seen. Busy resort, only good feature for my stay was the pool.

Sheraton: great upgrade to a suite with a nice view (no arguing needed at reception :D). Friendly staff, lovely atmosphere, great gardens, not crowded, lovely beach and pool. Bonus was snorkelling with turtles near Black Rock.

I am going back to the Sheraton Maui soon and I cant wait. The Sheraton has had a complete "refresh" of all the rooms so I am sure it will be even nicer than last time. I am staying well away from the Westin.

Another tip: Old Lahaina Luau is probably the most authentic Luau you will get other than going to a resident's "real" luau! Enjoy your stay :)

uggboy likes this.
  21. bartman9

bartman9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,
    Bringing my wife and two girls (ages 10 & 11) to Hawaii in December over Christmas. As many have in the past, I am struggling with where to stay on SPG points. Here are the two options I am considering:

Sheraton Maui Ohana Suite: 192,000 points
    Sheraton Maui Jr Suite: 240,000 points
    Westin Maui Jr Suite: 384,000 points

A couple of things to consider, I am SPG Gold and don't expect an upgrade. But I definitely want a suite, so I am going with one of these. The Westin suite is bigger, but a lot more points. Is the Westin worth the extra points? I'd appreciate feedback from anyone, especially those that have stayed in either one of these room types.

Dave

22. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the pool is any part of the deciding factor, the Westin wins hands down...

PointsCashMiles likes this.
  23. nelsoji
    Original Member

nelsoji Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Westin a few years back and absolutely loved it. It was by far my most enjoyeable hotel stay in my life (but I don't travel outside of work much so take that with a grain of salt). The pools were amazing as others have mentioned, never had a hard time getting a chair or anything, I don't think we had a suite - but were upgraded to a room towards the ocean with an amazing view. If the suites are better than that - I can't imagine having a nicer vacation. I can't compare to either Sheraton property as I was never at either, but the layout and all of the Westin made it the place I will go back to if we ever go back to Hawaii!!

24. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton Ohana suite is huge and the resort is much more laid back Hawaii style compared to the Westin which feels like it could be anywhere. Westin does have a better pool though.

25. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't stayed at either property, but when I worked the Hawaii desk, I recall that my conversations with TAs who'd stayed at both (or had an opinion about one or the other) meant that the Sheraton was the property of the two that seemed more like it would suit me. Sadly, I no longer recall all the data that went into that, but I did talk Hawaii on the phone all day back then.