Westin Key West Resort & Marina

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Casey Friday, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I got married on Valentine's Day at Disney World. Before the wedding, I stayed with my bride's family in a 2-story villa at the Bay Lake Towers (at Disney), so it set the standard pretty high for hotels to come. After tying the knot at Disney, my wife and I headed off to Key West to celebrate our honeymoon.

[​IMG]

Upon checking in, we went up to the 2nd floor (out of 3) room, and we were quite disappointed with what we saw. It was a "courtyard view" room, and the view was not very impressive at all. The hotel makes a "U" shape, toward the ocean, and we were at the bottom end of the "U" - NOT facing the ocean. It was very dark, and we both said to each other, "We left Disney World for this?"

I got the room with Starpoints (buy 5 nights, get the 6th free - 12k points per night), so I was worried we wouldn't be able to get an upgrade. However, I recently upgraded to Gold (thanks, code UI), so maybe it would turn out alright? In the end, it turns out a happy attitude trumps all else! I went to the front desk and said, "Hi, my wife and I just checked into our room. We just got married at Disney World, and this is our honeymoon, and the room is not what we expected to spend the next week in. Is there any way we can get something with a pool view, or just any other room than that one?"

She looked around on the computer and put us in a "partial ocean view" room for the week, and there was MUCH more than a "partial" ocean view. It was fantastic.

[​IMG]

That's the view from our balcony. Here are a few more shots of/from the balcony.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The room itself was very nice. It was just big enough, it was clean, and the design cues were modern. It was "tropical" without smacking you over the head with a tiki torch.

[​IMG]

2. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The AA flight attendant saw our Mickey hats on our flight down to EYW (how could anyone miss them?), and she offered us two celebratory bottles of wine and a pack of trail mix - in a barf bag. Classic. Although neither of us are wine-drinkers, the gesture meant a lot to us.

[​IMG]

The first night we ordered room service (which was also the first night we stayed) the server informed us that the front desk purchased us a bottle of champagne and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. They were nothing to write home about, but again, that personal touch is what will keep us going back to Starwood properties.

[​IMG]

3. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    After my wife had a very bad allergic reaction, I informed the kitchen so that they would know to keep the shellfish far away from our meals. They followed that request up by adding a small vase of flowers with every order. There's that personal touch again!

[​IMG]

A common complaint (one we received from our balcony neighbor, at least) was that the cruise ships that docked outside the Westin blocked the view of the sunset. My wife and I thought the cruise ships were awesome, and we didn't mind walking down the pier to get a view of the sunset. The presence of the Disney Magic alone convinced us that we want to cruise with Disney. (We've both always hated the idea of a cruise - I guess it's just that Disney magic!)

[​IMG]

We had a FANTASTIC stay at the Westin, and if you're ever planning a trip down to Key West, I don't know why you'd stay anywhere else!

Jimgotkp and Chad like this.