Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by yosithezet, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Westin Grande Sukhumvit (WGS) is one of the three Starwood hotels at the Sukhumvit-Asoke intersection in Bangkok. The location is very convenient for using rapid transportation in Bangkok as you have easy access to the Asoke BTS (Skytrain) station and the Sukhumvit MRT (subway) station. The WGS sits on top of Robinson department story, McDonalds and the Tops supermarket. The local area has plenty of restaurants, massage shops and street vendors for food or other goods.

The entrance to the hotel can be a bit confusing the first time. You enter on the ground floor where the bell staff will take your luggage. To get to the lobby have to enter an elevator and go up to the 7th floor. You'll check in there or head to another bank of elevators to go to the 24th floor Executive Lounge if you are SPG Plat.

SPG Platinum members have a pretty good chance of a suite upgrade and have access to the 24th floor Executive Lounge. The Executive Lounge provides Plats, and others staying on the Executive floors, with free breakfast and evening cocktails between 5:30 and 7:30 PM.Both breakfast and cocktail hours include warm and cold choices. The cocktail spread is enough to be considered dinner. If a lounge is important to you then this property will be a good choice. The lounge at the Plaza Athenee is much more spacious but the proximity to public transport makes this my preferred hotel.

As at all Starwood hotels, Platinum guests are provided with free Internet. Recently the hotel deployed Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. The staff in the lounge is really warm and friendly and make one feel at home.

The hotel recognizes repeat guests pretty well, and has been trying to implement a repeat guest program. Upon my 70th stay I received a free spa treatment and upon my 90th stay I received Westin-branded polo shirt, toiletry set and a large scented candle. During the New Year season I received a bottle of champagne and recently I was presented with the Starwood Indo China cookbook. There needs to be a bit more consistency in this recognition but the attempt is being made.

The rooms at the WGS, like most Westin hotels I have visited, is clean and modern. The signature Westin Heavenly Bed is by far the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The Westin hotels in India use the pillow-top version which I find much less comfortable than the standard one in use at the WGS. When I have the opportunity, I will buy one of these beds.

All rooms have a glass desk, chaise lounge and LCD TV screens with DVD players. Some rooms still have boom box radios which I like since I like to listen to the local radio sometimes.
    IMG_3365[1].JPG P4131206[1].JPG
    The bathrooms have seperate bathtubs and showers. In-room safes on the executive floors are large enough for laptops while the safes in the regular rooms are not. As the safes are not brand new, they do not have in-safe power.

Some Executive Suite pictures:

DSC01572[1].JPG
    DSC01575[1].JPG

DSC01576[1].JPG DSC01577[1].JPG DSC01578[1].JPG DSC01579[1].JPG

Like all hotels in BKK there is a gym and a pool. I haven't really spend much time there so can't give much information on them.

.There are a few different F&B venues.
    • Taste - International cuisine with extensive buffet
    • Zest - Lobby bar with live music Monday-Saturday
    • Kisso - Japanese restaurant
    • Horizons - Karaoke bar on 25th floor with a public area and private rooms. Not open every night.
    On Sundays they have a brunch for THB 1590 which includes food from both Taste and Kisso and drinks from Zest. The spread spills out into the lobby and Zest and you can bring food up and down between the lobby level and Kisso. The band from Zest plays on Sunday afternoon for the brunch and they typically have clowns and other activities for kids. Through the end of May 2011 Starwood Privilege members can get the brunch for THB 867 net for 2-10 people. Last Sunday 7 of us had the brunch and it was an enjoyable time catching up with other FTers.

The WGS has its own branded Starwood Privilege card. The SGS and ROP also have branded cards. This card costs THB 5900. The card has dining privileges for participating hotels throughout Asia where you get 50% off food for 2 diners, 33% for 3 diners, etc. For drinks you get 20% off. You also get vouchers for a free night at the WGS, complimentary dinner/lunch buffet for 2, complimentary 1 hour treatment at the spa, Up to 3 nights at THB 2500 per night for you or your friends, etc. If you just use the complimentary vouchers you have already made back your money.

Tips:
    • There is a laundry shop in the Tops supermarket under the hotel. The cost is probably 25% of what hotel laundry will cost. They are open from 10AM to 9PM. They offer next-day service but often if I take my laundry by 10AM when they open it will be back before the end of the day.
    • There are stairs right out front to get up to the bridge for the Skytrain. However, if you are hot and lazy there are two escalator options. One is to walk over to Robinsons and go up the escalator inside the store to get to the floor that is attached to the skybridge. The other option is to cross Soi 19 and on the corner there is an escalator up to the skybridge.
    • The chicken noodle soup street vendor outside 7-11 across Soi 19 from the property is really good.
    Regular rates at this hotel are typical above THB 5,000. Corporate rates at this hotel can be from 3,000-4,000 per night with internet (in case you aren't SPG Plat). Cash & Points availability is usually pretty good. If you want to stay and don't see the availability you are looking for, drop the hotel an email and they may be able to open it up for you. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/wgs

Taxi Card
    WestinBKKTaxiCard[1].jpg

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent report and photos and much valued information and tips yosithezet ... now I see why you like this place so much. I am glad that it works for you, but the two stays I had at this WGS (May 2005 & July 2009) weren't that good for me and I do hear complaints about in-room internet connection. But regardless, the rooms were much bigger than the standard rooms at the Conrad.
    [​IMG]
    Zest lobby bar & terrace
    [​IMG]
    Nice room
    [​IMG]
    WGS area from SGS' 28th floor - the new upcoming Terminal 21 shopping is on the right.
    [​IMG]
    Executive lounge
    [​IMG]
    View from room facing lower Sukhumvit

Chimpy, Mrs Chimpy, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Schoflyer
    Original Member

Schoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice reporting people!!!
    Thanks!
    I'll be across the street ;)

Chimpy, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic review. I was there a few weeks ago, great Plat treatment and very warm helpful staff. Agree completely with your review.

Across the street and just down from the Sheraton I have enjoyed a couple times the 24 hour taco joint, Sunrise Tacos. Yes, I know such a waste in a country with maybe the greatest food in the world...but sometimes a taco at midnight after being out hits the spot! Key fact they are open 24 hour.

Quick view of "taste" restaurant on main floor/lobby, and below is street level lobby.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You made me laugh with this comment Jslo! I like Sunrise Tacos too! There is also a very good Mexcian restaurant around the corner from the Sheraton on Soi 14: Los Cabos. Fun place with great staff and good prices- also they have expanded the courtyard so there is some nice outdoor seating now if it is not too hot or raining.
    http://www.loscabosbangkok.com/

sendaiben, Kalboz, sdcarver and 2 others like this.
  7. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can relate :)

sdcarver

Kalboz likes this.
  8. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone recommend a few good, solid Thai restaurants in this neighborhood? I always try to go to Baan Khanita at Sukhumvit Soi 23, but would like to try other good ones nearby. I've been to Cabbages & Condoms -- good concept but found dishes to be flavorless.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bo.Lan at Sukhumvit Soi 26 and many other restaurants are recommended here: Bangkok Dining Scene & Restaurants Recommendations

See also here: Bangkok: Rooftop Dining Experience with a View

10. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny you mention, but that is my best pick Baan Khanita. I'm sure there are others, but Khanita is so delicious!
    Baan Khanita and Google Map for easy walking, 12 minutes normal walking,
    easy walk from the WGS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chimpy, Mrs Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chimpy, Mrs Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  12. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to stray from the topic, but my favorites so far are Baan Khanita (both Sukhumvit and Sathorn), Curries and More (same people who owns Khanita -- very convenient from Conrad), Bo.Lan and my newest favorite: SraBua at Kempinski.

But I'll continue the discussion in the Food forum...

Mrs Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    WGS Facebook page is having a contest for 2 free nights. Post a photo on their Wall and get the most number of likes.

Please "Like" my photo of the "Zest Bar"! :) Thanks! http://www.facebook.com/WestinBangkok

Chimpy and Mrs Chimpy like this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a whole thread called Bangkok Dining Scene & Restaurants Recommendations with photos ... please do give us your recommendations or reviews! Thanks :)

Chimpy and Mrs Chimpy like this.
  15. Superb report. I've stayed here abour ten times over the past two years. Execitve lounge is nice. Gym rather small, but has enough stuff for short trips. Swimming pool is rather dull, but great for lap swimming.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. Mrs Chimpy
    Original Member

Mrs Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  18. Breakfast at the WG is a nice experience. Never been busy when I've eaten there, and the layout seems to work well. Service was also very good.

TRAVELSIG and Kalboz like this.
  19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    TRAVELSIG likes this.
  21. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do Platinums have the option to have breakfast in the restaurant vs. the lounge, as they do at the Plaza Athenee?

Kalboz likes this.
  22. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  23. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The breakfast at the lounge is sufficient and the one at their Taste buffet-style restaurant on the 7th floor lobby floor is better. But, in terms of selection and quality compared with other Bangkok properties (SGS, JWM, RMPA, etc.), IMO, the breakfast here is mediocre.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Westin Executive Lounge breakfast
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Taste Restaurant

24. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  25. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a new benefit there. If you stay let us know how it compares to my fav SGS

Kalboz likes this.