Westin Grand Vancouver - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by flyer_o, Feb 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Rate: 254 CAD ++ (Executive King Suite - Rm 3100)

Getting There: After arriving at 9:45p, and clearing the C&I formalities I was in a cab by 10:15p and at the hotel by 10:45p. Cab fare was approximately 30 CAD. On the return, I walked 3 blocks to the Canada Line station and took the light rail to YVR. About 35min and ~4 CAD. Definitely do the light rail unless there's a mobility/baggage/timing issue.

Check-in: We entered on the ground level and took the elevator to check-in. There were 3 people in my group, with separate reservations. Initially there was only one person at check-in, but a second person came to assist. Our rates include continental breakfast and unlimited wireless and those benefits were explained and presented. Oddly enough, despite working at a hotel on Robson street, the front desk seemed to have trouble directing us to a non fast-food restaurant to for a snack. We ended up finding a wine bar nearby that met the need.

The hotel: I was in Vancouver for a conference with my colleague who is an architect, so I can't help but to be biased by his complete dislike for the design of the space. The entryway from the street to the check-in area is underwhelming and seems like it could be redesigned to be more "grand". The elevators require key card access and I had to swipe a bunch of times/have my cards re-coded on a couple different occasions to get access to the elevators and my room. One of the best features of the hotel was the spa/fitness area on the 3rd floor. While not as large and well appointed as some hotels, the equipment was great for a quick workout. The steam room and saunas were clean and working as well, something that isn't always the case.

The room: My room had a narrow entryway leading to small living room with a couch, desk and LCD tv.. The living room window had a very good view of BC Place and the Public Library. Some rooms have balconies as well, but those had been allocated when we arrived. Also included was a kitchenette which I could imagine would be very useful for longer stays, but went untouched for my 2 day visit. Off of the living room was a short hallway with the bathroom on the left and a smallish bedroom. I couldn't help to think that the space would've been much better as something more open rather than a series of small rooms. Nonetheless, the room was adequate.

The verdict: Only a tepid endorsement. There was nothing wrong with this hotel, but I can't strongly endorse it. At the price point, I'd probably rather have an entry level room at the FS or a try a boutique hotel. The C&P rates however would make this a relative bargain, especially for events in the downtown area since the hotel is so central.

sobore and (deleted member) like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a former apartment building? Was your room considered to be a suite upgrade?

Is there a club lounge?

uggboy likes this.
  3. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe there are condos within the hotel. I know that was the case when I last visited.

I booked the top room at the hotel. The property is all suites. For MP purposes,I asked the check-in agent if she would've UG'ed a plat to a room on the two executive floors, she said yes.

No club lounge.

sobore and uggboy like this.
  4. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was a former something or other, and every room is considered a "Suite" in that they are all two separate albeit small areas. If you are a single or couple and want to be in that area, it's a solid choice. For a family, not so much judging by the room maps.

uggboy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The complex was built as the Westin. It is an all suite property. When it was marketed ~12 years ago there were sales however IIRC it was to put suites into the rental pool for the most part. It is a nice property however I prefer Four Seasons which typically sells around the same price- although of course not with a suite.

uggboy likes this.
  6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stay there two or three times a year. The best food is a little falafel hole-in-the wall up the street called Falafel Madison. The shwarma (sp?) Is killer.

uggboy likes this.
  7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's also Jap-a-dog (didn't love it) and a good Vietnamese banh mi place up the street. And there's a Jinya coming (may be in by now).

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed here last week for 2 nights using c&p. I upgraded to a view suite (26 floor) for $20 a night.

Honestly I think it was a very good hotel. Room was clean, staff was nice, location was stellar. Room was a little small but for a dt location it's not a bad layout. Only downside was very expensive Internet