Westin Grand Frankfurt Review

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by uggboy, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had recently a one-night stay here from Saturday to Sunday and I thought we tell fellow MP'ers about our experiences in this property in Frankfurt/Main, Germany.

We have taken a taxi from Fraport to the hotel, at first the taxi driver did not found the Westin Grand nor has he ever heard of it. Strange, he was an older guy and seemed experienced as taxi driver. Eventually with a little bit searching involved the driver found the hotel and we were greeted outright from the taxi and ushered into the lobby area of the hotel.

Check-in: Was fine, efficient and fast, but our room was not ready, so we head lunch outside the hotel and had a look around the Zeil area of Frankfurt. After around 2h we returned and our Grand Deluxe room was ready. The room included also Executive Lounge access.

Room: Spacey, not too large, but a great and airy layout, seating area for two, working desk, chair, internet access was payable at around 20 Euros for 24h. The Heavenly bed was outstanding in our opinion, not too soft nor too hard. Just right. The color scheme was light browns, natural colors. The view was of a side street with building opposite, plus construction site, not too much noise heard at all. A big plus here. The bathroom was fully marbled, very pleasingly designed, but had no separate shower or bathtub, these two were combined, the water pressure was however great. However, one of us had drawn a bath and the stopper after bathing was not letting the water out, solved the problem by myself with a knife and opened the stopper up // out from the bathtub. We called lobby, they said however that they had nobody on property to have a look at it, because it was weekend and the ingenieur was outsourced. OH!!! It was late by now and they appologized and offered to us that we could change rooms, but we had only one night and it was late! They send up complimentary red wine for us, a great offer we thought and apology. So far so good. One of us had room service, the Wiener Schnitzel, it was fine too!

Executive Lounge: Superb lounge, very large with seperate areas and the drink // food selection was good in the evening and in the morning for breakfast. From wine selection, soft drinks, canapes, cheese, grapes, warm dishes and desserts, fruit salads and some more in the evening to nice continental offerings, coffee selection, bread, cereals, milk, juice selection, pastries in the morning. Always delivered in a very good manner in terms of service and discretion. A big plus this Lounge!

Arabella Lobby Lounge // Bar: We had some drinks here, enjoyed the offerings, always some people there doing business, meeting someone or want relaxation, a great place for solitude, read or being there with a significant other // or colleagues. Value ratio // 8 // out of // 10 //.

Special: We stayed at this property at the same time the Female World Cup team from Germany has also stayed here and sercurity was maybe higher than usual, another interesting find had been the permanent car collection in this hotel incl. a 1929 Mercedes on the first floor overlooking the lobby and classic Bentley car in the lobby near the Chinese // Asian Restaurant.

Location: Fabulous, a shoppers dream for the Zeil, an architectural dream too, many new and historic buildings are within easy reach of the hotel on foot incl. the Maintower which has a platform on the 55th floor with magnificent views over the city. We also had a look to the new Jumeirah hotel, it is a great tower and offers already a fascinating skyline addition to this city.

Summary: A great international hotel in superb location with some minor quicks included as they could not confirm which car we had when ordering limousine service or we could not buy any Westin bathroom amenties here, strange, when we think that most hotels are much more commercial these days. On the plus side, our room was gorgeous and airy, large and without much noise, the bed was wow, simply as that. The service was good at many times, we received a late check out for 1pm instead the 12noon. Left however our room only at 2pm and this was OK too. The Execuitve Lounge is gorgeous and should be a must // paid or not paid on status! Good value! The location is wonderful and the feel of staying here is actually a great one. So overall we would give this hotel just like the Arabella Lounge earlier a rating of 8 // out of // 10!

Would we stay again? We would! Would be recommend this hotel? Yes, we do!

Here are a few photos taken from our room // a Grand Deluxe room with Executive Lounge access // All photos are also listed on our Flickr account and the link can be found under each photo:

[​IMG]
    In the Heart of Hospitality // In the Heart of the City // In the Heart of Modern Spaces // The Westin Grand Hotel // Grand Deluxe Room with Westin Executive Club Access // Frankfurt am Main // Germany by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Here is the gorgeous Heavenly bed // Beautiful and inviting we found at all times!

[​IMG]
    In the Heart of Hospitality // In the Heart of the City // In the Heart of Modern Spaces // The Westin Grand Hotel // Frankfurt am Main // Germany by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ The fascinating facade of the hotel was so good integrated which makes the hotel very unassuming in our opinion, The Westin Grand Frankfurt

[​IMG]
    Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold, the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul. --- Democritus // Dreaming of Mango Juice // So natural, a real Star // @ The Westin Grand Hotel // Frankfurt // Main // Germany [ PART OF STAR // ART ] by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Refreshing Mango juice in the Arabella Lounge just off the lobby, a great space with again discreet service offerings. Enjoyed it here too!

[​IMG]
    In the Heart of Hospitality // In the Heart of the City // In the Heart of Modern Spaces // The Westin Grand Hotel // Arabella Lounge with Arabella Statements // Frankfurt am Main // Germany by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ This modern Chandellier we have found hanging well above us in the Arabella Lounge, a beautiful and special interpretation of lighting, a great touch!

[​IMG]
    In the Heart of Hospitality // In the Heart of the City // In the Heart of Modern Spaces // The Westin Grand Hotel // Grand Deluxe Room with Westin Executive Club Access // Frankfurt am Main // Germany by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Another view of the Heavely bed, it was not too soft nor was it too hard, just right we found at all times!

Chimpy, SensFan, Chad and 3 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Be realistic: Plan for a miracle. --- Osho // Mercedes-Benz Type Stuttgart 200 // 1929 // @ The Westin Grand Hotel Frankfurt // Main // Germany by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ A special sight in the hotel was this Mercedes Benz 200 Type Stuttgart from 1929, gorgeous!

[​IMG]
    In the Heart of Hospitality // In the Heart of the City // In the Heart of Modern Spaces // The Westin Grand Hotel // Frankfurt am Main // Germany by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Re-fuel by Westin on the 1st floor, the same floor in which the conference rooms and the Breakfast Restaurant plus the Westin Executive Lounge are located. A great pit stop indeed, this hotel, the Westin Grand Frankfurt // Main, Germany. Ideal for business and pleasure we found, ideal for weekends too in this international city.

Thanks for the appreciation fellow MP'ers, hope you like this review too and maybe share your experiences with this property with us.
    Thank you!

3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great review! I loved this hotel too. Here is a shot of another beauty that was on display when I visited.

DSC_1177_MP.JPG

Sagy, Kalboz, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's my go-to hotel when in Frankfurt.
    Along with all the positive's so far, It's proximity to the rail station makes it easy to get to/from the airport on public transport as well.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to be a contrarian I'm lukewarm on this hotel. Got an upgrade on a cash and points stay (which can be good value at this hotel) to a Grand Deluxe room which was much appreciated. The room was in excellent condition but I found it to be somewhat bland/forgettable. I liked the heated bathroom tiles - but that was balanced against my dislike for the ubiquitous shower/bath combo.

Not a huge issue but I also found the mattress too firm - again this is really personal preference but for me the key part of the heavenly bed is not the bedding but the mattress.

Also had an issue at check out where I was originally charged for the "business class" internet - it was reversed but not until the staff member basically accused me of trying to defraud the hotel as it is clearly listed on the sign up page that it is not free (it is free for plats and the sign up page doesn't indicate otherwise). Maybe it was a miscommunication between my intrinsically polite British upbringing and the famed German directness - but I didn't appreciate the inference that I was committing fraud - when I commit fraud it is I mean if I were to commit fraud it would be for more than 16 euro!

Do agree the executive lounge is very nice and the saving grace for the property. Didn't go to cocktail hour but had an enjoyable breakfast and slice of cake later in the afternoon. Very nice sized space and the balcony/mezzanine space is really quite pleasant. The lounge staff are also very good - head and shoulders above the rest of the other staff.

Was also given a voucher for 50% off drinks in the bar between 8.00 pm and 10.00 pm. I was told it was due to being a platinum member but I think they were pretty much given out to everyone - or at least by request.

uggboy likes this.