Westin Georgetown, D.C. (formerly Westin Grand)

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by privateer, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. privateer
    Original Member

privateer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hotel is undergoing a name change from Westin Grand to Westin Georgetown. The people at the front desk said it was because of the confusion with the Hyatt Grand.

I stayed at this hotel most weeks from September to December 2010 as a Platinum. I would recommend this hotel to business and leisure travelers unless you are looking for an upgrade. This hotel contains only 4 queen bed suites and in the 7 months total I've stayed in this hotel I have yet to stay in one. The location is fantastic. Its walking distance to Georgetown or Foggy Bottom. The only disadvantage is you are not particularly close to the train.

Earning points here: this hotel allows you to decline housekeeping for 500 points a night. You cannot decline more than 2 nights in a row, and you cannot decline the night before you checkout. In addition you can earn 500 points once per stay by spending over $10 in the hotel restaurant. The hotel always asked for my platinum amenity choice and posted my points quickly.

The rooms: The rooms here are comfortable and the bathrooms are large. I never had a problem with room cleanliness, or with noise from the hallway or surrounding rooms.

Amenities: Never used the pool. The gym has weights, machines, treadmills, and a bike. Plenty of stuff to get your workout down. I would recommend running outside through Georgetown if the weather is nice. The restaurant is pretty mediocre. I would not eat dinner here unless you need the convenience or want the 500 points. The hotel also offers cocktails and hors d'oeuvres once a month in the presidential suite for any SPG member. You can take your food and drink to go if you wish. After going to one of these I received an assortment of dried fruit, nuts, and chocolate in my room when I checked in the following week. Also had an assortment of still water, water with gas, and a starbucks frappachino.

Staff: The staff here are very friendly. The front desk does its best and the security members and bellhops that work by the front door are extremely helpful. I can't say enough nice things about the staff.

2. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a very good area for either a business or tourist visit and although the dining in this hotel is not outstanding, that is not of real consequence since there are so many excellent restaurants within walking distance.

The only addition that I can make to privateer's post is that, unlike most of the deluxe hotels in the DC area, this one has only an outdoor pool which probably makes it only a warm weather destination for families.

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just came back from the Park Hyatt - almost next door. Strange choice that Starwood made here. First of all, the Westin Grand sign is still up. Second and more important - this hotel is definitely not in Georgetown. In fact, across the street is the Ritz Carlton Washington DC while the Ritz Georgetown is, you guessed it, in Georgetown!

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking the same: this hotel is not in Georgetown. It is in the West End area of Northwest, a few blocks north of Washington Circle. It's a pleasant upscale residential neighborhood with restaurants.