Westin Excelsior, Rome

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Travel2Food, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Summary: excellent service, great location

Stayed at the Excelsior in late October as part of a special project to duplicate photos that my dad took back in the 1940s. My dad had stayed at the hotel right after the war, and took a bunch of photos in Rome with a couple of photos taken from the balcony of his room at the Excelsior.

The hotel was pretty expensive for the weekend, but was available on points. (it would have been cheaper to buy points with the SPG promo than to pay cash for the room... but I transferred AmEx points).

Contacted the hotel prior to arrival and told them of my project. They bent over backward to accomodate - and gave me the same room my dad had.

Room was in good condition, clean, and quiet. Arrival gift was a large fruit basket. Service was great during the stay.

Restaurant good, but a bit pricy, plenty of restaurants nearby.

Highly recommended.

uggboy, Kalboz and Flews like this.
  2. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of my favorite properties in the SPG network. And my hotel of choice in Rome.

I have consistently received excellent upgrades. I like the location and the turn of the century ambiance. This is one of those properties where Mrs. Flews and I like to walk down the staircases to the lobby instead of taking the elevator; not because the elevator is rather tiny, in a European sort of way, but because we like to look at the charming old world decor along the way.

We may be biased, however, since Rome is one of our favorite cities in any event.

Cheers,

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. We had the most amazing suite at the Excelsior last December and also walked down the staircase to enjoy the ambiance. :)

We actually prefer the location of the St. Regis Grand, but did enjoy exploring the Via Veneto and surrounding area. We will definitely go back.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be staying there this summer. Is there anything special I should be aware of? Any secret places nearby that I absolutely must not miss?

Kalboz likes this.
  5. cooperdog

cooperdog Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am very fond of this hotel, and as an SPG Platinum, we're treated very well. We were there in November, we'll be returning in May: it is our hotel of choice in Rome.
    I like breakfast at the hotel very much. The buffet is a bit pricey, a la carte is not so bad. I haven't had dinner at the hotel, there are simply too many others to try. Our current favorite is Gaetano Costa......a short 2 block walk from the hotel. Loved everything about it.
    As well as the obvious sites in Rome to visit, do try to go to the Borghese Museum - also an easy walk from the hotel. Be certain to book your ticket in advance.

Kalboz and Flews like this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just got back from a 5 night stay at the Excelsior. As an SPG Plat. was upgraded to a fantastic Grandluxe Suite on the 6th floor. We were staying on points so we were very happy with the upgrade. Received a bowl of fruit and a rose flower arrangement upon arrival. The concierge was fantastic. Suggested great restaurants that were within walking distance of the hotel.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the problems with blogs, they all prefer to write on their own sites, and @ MP we get a link. ;)

Kalboz and perryplatypus like this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is is just for you uggboy! :)
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  10. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course it's preferred to link to blog post...that's how bloggers earn money. And for those if us without affiliate links we need all the clicks we can get :)

uggboy and Kalboz like this.