Westin Edina Galleria (MSP) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

This review is based on about a half-dozen stays, most recently in late January 2010. As a SPG Plat, I was upgraded to a suite about half of the time (usually one weekend day, afternoon arrival), with an upgrade to a deluxe room at the end of the hall (with separate bath and shower and sitting area with sofa, lounge chair, ottoman, etc.) when I did not receive a suite. One-bedroom suites occupy a corner of the hotel and are large, with lounge area, wet bar, huge desk, dining area, separate powder room with artwork, and large bathroom with large rain shower stall and separate large bathtub. (I know I've used the word large many times, but these are probably the biggest standard suites I've seen.) The bedroom is ordinary with one (Westin) king bed. Weekday upgrades are rumored to be very tough with SPG Plats travelling for consulting assignments every week filling many of the rooms.

The hotel is located in a commercial suburban area several miles from MSP airport and perhaps 8 miles from downtown Minneapolis. There is no airport shuttle service and the hotel is not near the light rail line. However, parking is plentiful and free, including in a garage connected to the hotel by an underground passageway. Valet parking is also available at the front door (fee). The underground passageway also connects the hotel to a small upscale shopping mall with multiple and varied restaurants.The hotel offers shopping packages and coupons. Also nearby is a larger shopping center (Macy's), discount stores, grocery stores, drug stores, etc. Access to floors with rooms requires a key card in the elevators.

The hotel's only restaurant (located on the lobby level) is McCormick and Schmicks, a good chain seafood place that does not use tablecloths in the dining room. It has extended hours and also provides the hotel's room service. Happy hours in the bar are pleasant with good and cheap snack specials. (For the last several years, $20 off dinner coupons have been distributed in all Delta SkyClubs during the holiday season.) There is a patio with outdoor tables in the summer, but it's next to a strip of parking spaces and a busy commercial street.

Hotel features include an indoor heated pool, a small but new health club (shared with the condos on higher floors), a business center with computers and printers (fee except for boarding passes and airline website use), function rooms, and a Club lounge which unfortunately is frequently closed without notice (especially on weekends and even when the hotel is still selling Club rooms). When it's open, the lounge provides an extended continental breakfast, IIRC with hot eggs, and fairly standard evening snacks; alcoholic drinks must be charged to one's room. During the daytime, water is available. The lounge and many rooms have good views of a major airport approach/departure path.

Rooms are pleasant and generally well maintained so that they seem new and fresh. Decor is the new Westin look with light wood furniture and the ivory/tan/green color scheme. The staff are generally cordial and professional.

This might well be the best suburban hotel in the MSP area as well as arguably the best airport hotel. Here I say "arguably" because this one is located at the far end of the strip of airport hotels and does not provide airport transportation. Even with the pool, IMO it is oriented toward (upscale) business travellers and sophisticated leisure visitors rather than families with children.
    Exiled in Express likes this.