Westin Denver Downtown - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by JasonH, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Located in the Tabor Centre (or Center if you prefer [​IMG]) on the 16th Street Mall. This is a much newer building than the Sheraton at the other end of the 16th Street Mall. The mountain view rooms offer a splendid look at the Front Range.

The walk to the Pepsi Centre (Avalache, Nuggets, and concerts) is short, but you do have to cross a large street. The walk to Coors Field (Rockies) is very short and takes you past a lot of good bars and restaurants. This hotel is also very convenient to the Colorado Convention Centre (16th St Shuttle) and Invesco Field at Mile High (long-ish walk or bus from Market Street Station).

The hotel restaurant looks good, but I have never bothered as there is just too much to choose from in the LoDo area of Denver. The gym and pool looked decent and if they won't do the Tabor Centre also houses the Colorado Athletic Club with full facilities.

The rooms are standard Westin rooms and are well appointed. The large windows allow in plenty of light, however for the vampires the blackout curtains do an excellent job.

The front desk staff is a bit hit and miss. Some will offer wonderful dining options, but others just point you to the hotel restaurant and the Cheesecake Factory. Working in downtown Denver I have stayed at this property several times when attending concerts and have always been pleased. Just don't eat at any chain restuarants. We have excellent places to eat in LoDo, you just have to find them. [​IMG]

2. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the hotel restaurant The Palm? Or is there another one in the hotel somewhere?

3. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm 99% sure it is. It looked okay for those blizzard days we have where you don't want to leave a hotel. Otherwise there is so much better to find.

4. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you eaten there? I'm confused how you can offer such a strong opinion you appear to not have eaten at. It definitely is not your normal hotel restaurant - it is a small national chain steakhouse. I personally think it is the second best steakhouse in downtown.

5. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right. I haven't eaten there. I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad place, I apologize. I am however a meat-light person so steakhouses are not my thing. I usually go to places like Venice Wine Bar across the Union Station or the restaurant (name escapes me right now) that is under the SugarCube at 16th and Blake.

6. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually am not a huge steakhouse fan either, but with my job I have eaten at them all, and this is actually one of the better ones. It definitely is not your typical hotel restaurant.

For meat-light I would suggest both Rioja and Tag if you haven't tried them - I have had many great meals at both. Are you thinking of ChoLon? I haven't been there yet, and it has been on the top of my list since before it opened.

7. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    YES! ChoLon is the name. I have enjoyed it, but it can be really hard to get into if there are any events going on downtown. I would certainly recommend trying to get there. The wife and I need to head downtown for a night out soon so I'll look into Rioja and Tag.

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I stayed here last night and dined at The Palm. Standard Palm fare like all the others I've eaten at. I was able to charge to my room, so assume that will earn points.

I used to stay at this property all the time before I switched to Hyatt. The rooms are all fine, in good shape. Over the last couple of years, they have scrimped on some small things. There used to be bottles of Acqua Panna in the room that were free for Plats (two small ones, iirc). They have been replaced by Nestle Pure Life, which I'm not really wild about. They removed the second shower head and robes in the room are hit and miss.

I echo the front desk concerns, and was never really wild about the breakfast restaurant or lounge. The fitness center is small, but in a good state of repair.

Of all the properties I've stayed at, this is one of the toughest when it comes to Plat benefit delivery. I believe I've been upgraded to a suite twice in probably 40 or 50 stays. I had to fight to get both of those upgrades, and finally gave up asking because it wasn't worth the hassle. Internet charges have also been inconsistent.

This property is a solid property for the room product. If the other elements of a property are important to you, there are better places to stay in Denver.