Westin Colonnade Coral Gables- good news

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by jbcarioca, Jul 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two new developments of interest to anybody who stays here:
    1. As of the 23rd July (more or less-the exact date is not firm) the former breakfast of the hotel will be reinstated and SushiSamba will no longer offer breakfast. It seems every regular customer, me included, has agitated for this move since day one. We have won!
    2. The rooms are now being renovated, so space is limited until the completion of the project, which is expected to be around 1st September or so. I have sen the new rooms. I think they're an improvement, especially because all furnishing are being replaced so the slightly dated environment will be entirely updated, including adding more electrical outlets, for example.

Another change was made a few months ago. Every tuesday night there is a managers reception with free drinks (JW Black and Chivas Regal as scotch, for example, and generally 'premium' choices otherwise). The appetisers vary depending on occupancy, but are often quite nice with servers passing various hot items around. if occupancy is low they usually serve cold cuts. The bartender is notably generous with pouring.

MSPeconomist, MX, flyingdawg and 4 others like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Havent stayed here in few years but always got good treatment and decent room upgrades. Only ongoing problem seemed to be the wonky escalator to the ground floor :)

That said the surrounding area has acquired quite few new and decent restaurants and bars and makes for pleasant stroll in the afternoons.

flyingdawg and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wonky escalator is unchanged, as it has been for the last 25 years. I often wonder why they do not change that, and have been told that it is a gigantically difficult job. I am certainly not a structural engineer, much less an architect, but that seems a weak argument to me. In the meantime I have become accustomed to it as has everyone else, I guess. At least one knows this is nothing like a cookie cutter hotel.:cool:

flyingdawg likes this.