Westin Atlanta at Peachtree Center (Georgia) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a huge convention hotel in a famous very tall modern circular building (about ninety stories). It is located in downtown Atlanta, about a block from a MARTA (subway) station and several blocks up the hill from other large convention hotels such as the Marriott. The lobby atrium looks dated, but views from higher floors are amazing, but some could experience anxiety due to the floor-to-ceiling wall of glass in guestrooms.

Several years ago, a tornado hit Atlanta and destroyed many windows in the hotel. New windows had to be manufactured specially for the restoration project, which was just recently completed. However, the water damage has left some rooms with mildew smells.

Rooms are small but well designed and stylish with nice large desks (and outlets). Bathrooms are small and reflect the time when the hotel was built. Service IME was bad: it should not require four telephone calls and six hours to get a bath towel (none were in the room when I arrived). I noticed several long hairs in the bathroom upon arrival. Dirty room service dished remained in hallways for more than 24 hours.

The hotel has multiple restaurants and bars. There's a lobby-level restaurant decorated in stylish modern plastic, a lobby-level bar, and a Starbucks, plus a more elegant restaurant/bar on the top floor. There's a gift shop, also on the main lobby level. Newspapers are not delivered to rooms but can be picked up in the lobby (free) or, curiously, for a better selection (also free) downstairs by the carriage entrance and hotel garage. As the lobby-level elevator lobby also serves as the main pathway from the main entrance to the check in/out area, it is extremely congested; there can be long waits for elevators.

There's a health club and indoor pool accessed by a staircase from about level ten. I didn't find the pool to be very attractive as it is an older rectangular pool (smaller than Olympic size) in a room where children's voices are amplified and echo.

There's a separate SPG check in/out area and the staff seem polite and welcoming. I've never been upgraded to a suite here, although the hotel seems to have a reasonable number. There is no lounge and the hotel does not offer alternative amenities.

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  2. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here this week during a busy convention week. The front desk tells me they were booked full between my show and another.

The quick bullet summary:

Pros
    • Staff was quite friendly at checkin, in the motor lobby area, and in general.
    • Checkin was very efficient.
    • I had a nice view overlooking the convention center. Not sure if this counted as an upgrade or not.
    • Quick 10 minute walk to convention center, aquarium, and various restaurants.
    • The Internet was speedy even during a busy IT convention week
    Cons
    • This Westin definetely falls in my "well used" category. The room felt old for sure.
    • Desk chair was old, not particuarly comfortable, and squeaked like a haunted house.
    • The shower (58th floor) had little to no water pressure in the mornings.
    • Lobby bar - I sat at the bar for 10 minutes on Sunday night and never got acknowledged before I gave up and wandered over to another hotel's lobby bar.
    I'd stay here again by virtue of it being a Westin, but, given the choice of other SPG properties in the area, I'd probably try another one.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO the Sheraton downtown is far worse. There's a nearby W--in fact, I could see it well from my window at the Westin--which is decent, but it's slightly award from the real downtown and convention area. It used to be another brand IIRC, with all of the disadvantages associated with the repurposing of the building.

KENNECTED and uggboy like this.
  5. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Canarsie mentioned that the tornado hit six years ago today. Have we had any recent updates./

7. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a big Sheraton fan, but out of the few I've stayed in the Sheraton Atlanta is one of the worst. The W that you see from the north facing rooms is the W Atlanta - Downtown. That is a new build property. Before housing went up along Peachtree, in Midtown, you could see the W Midtown - Atlanta (at Colony Square). The W Midtown is the former Sheraton Midtown.

8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    All 6,350+ windows on the entire building have been replaced.

Westin Peachtree window replacement a high wire act(2010 news article in AJC)
    Window Weight, 723-Ft Height Challenge Hotel’s Reglazing (a construction news article when the work was finished in Sept 2010)

Some 25 panels were replaced each day. Each floor took about a week.

Old panels came down using the same system. Starwood estimates it recycled more than 600 tons of glass.​

KENNECTED likes this.