Westfield Unveils Disappointing Plan for Terminal 6 at LAX

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Nov 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

LAX is undergoing a massive transformation and I’m really happy about all most of the changes. The Tom Bradley International Terminal is an oasis in international travel, American’s Terminal 4 has really improved the pre-flight dining experience, and other terminals have gotten major facelifts as well. That’s why it’s so disappointing to hear what the plans are for Terminal 6. First, let’s be real. The majority of travelers never set foot in T6 at LAX. It’s home to Alaska, US Airways (for now), Copa, and Great Lakes which means that the traffic there is fairly low. As of right now, the only places to eat are Ruby’s Dinette, Monet’s California Deli, Home Town Express, Plane Box Food Co., and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. Not exactly inspiring, is it? Based on the other renovations at LAX that have brought in great chefs and healthier food, I would expect Terminal 6 to follow a similar path — especially considering that Westfield is the company that’s overseeing the transformation and they’ve been in charge of TBIT as well as Terminals 1, 2, and 3. Unfortunately, the new additions leave a lot to be desired. Here’s the list from the press release: Taste traditional old-world Italian cuisine at Osteria by Fabio Viviani; a debut L.A. concept created by the famed Top Chef; Indulge in juicy California-style charburgers at The Habit Burger Grill; Chow down on a menu of eclectic fusion fare with a Hawaiian vibe at Wahoo’s Fish Taco; Experience L.A. beach-inspired cuisine at Blu2o; Delight in healthy fresh juices and fresh salads for a signature California lifestyle at Earth Bar; Sample world-class craft beers by a local craft brewery at Point the Way Café; Sip on the world’s best known coffees at (2) Starbucks locations; Pick up must-have travel essentials at Los Angeles News, Access Hollywood, Sunset News, and MARKET 8600; Discover the best designer apparel for men, women and kids from one of Southern California’s most chic boutiques at M. Fredric; Shop the leading international business, accessory and travel lifestyle brand at Tumi; Relax at XpresSpa, with massage, nail and facial services and a retail selection of locally produced beauty and travel products; Stock up on quality cosmetics for the makeup addict at MAC Cosmetics; Choose from over 100 different candies and chocolates with rich heritage at See’s Candies; and Find the latest in electronics and cutting-edge technology at Belkin. Now, perhaps I’ve gotten spoiled by the other terminals, but Osteria by Fabio Viviani doesn’t excite me much and The Habit and Wahoo’s aren’t even legends in their own fields. I don’t know what Blu2Go, Earth Bar, and Point the Way Cafe are supposed to be, but they sound like the same generic concepts that used to open up in airports. Is it too much to expect the same level of exciting options that Westfield has brought to the other terminals, even if there’s less traffic? I don’t think so. Don’t get me wrong: this is an upgrade from the existing options, but I wouldn’t say this is a major step up. That’s a shame. Photo credit: Westfield The post Westfield Unveils Disappointing Plan for Terminal 6 at LAX appeared first on Fly&Dine.

Continue reading...