West Coast Shuttle

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, May 13, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that DL has started a shuttle between SEA to SFO/LAX and AS and AA are doing many flights between the two cities, I guess UA has decided just to walk away from SEA leaving the North-South routes to the other airlines

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has there been any reduction in service for UA to SEA as a result?

(I know they have over the last few years reduced service in the PNW)

3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ???

I take SEA-SFO/LAX all the time on UA.

There are 8 directs today from SEA to SFO and 2 directs to LAX.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Flying Machine likes this.
  4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Common complaint. If UA doesn't provide hourly service between a given pair of cities on a widebody, it is clearly abandoning the market.

ssullivan, misman, TehAviator and 5 others like this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pet peeve
    direct - goes from a to b NOT NECESSARILY NON STOP

NONSTOP - NO STOPS BETWEEN A AND B!

Why do people keep on confusing the two?

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why do airlines keep using the term "direct" when clearly in virtual all cases there is nothing direct about it and the use is basically to fool customers? Does anyone other than WN actually still use the same aircraft on non-non-stop flights with one flight number?

The other day I was at PDX waiting for a flight and looked at the arrivals board and noticed a UA flight from LGA scheduled to arrive in the evening. My first thought was - is that a charter flight? No. That same aircraft really comes from about 100 other cities as well (because it really comes from Denver).

I refuse to support this blatant misuse of the English language.

7. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terms of art are often idiosyncratically built and
    seemingly (okay, actually) arbitrary.

As far as direct vs. nonstop goes, I see no reason
    why people don't embrace nonstop (meaning is
    unabiguous) for nonstop., leaving direct to mean
    direct, i.e., in the same direction, such as, oh,
    ORD-DEN-LAX.

I can't disagree, though, that a same-numbered
    flight from Cleveland to Newark to San Antonio
    with a plane change would be in addition to an
    absurdity a very misleading "direct" flight.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No normal human would call a flight from LGA to DEN connecting to another flight to PDX (that happens to have the same flight number, but a different aircraft) a direct flight. It's TWO flights, not one.

Eg, today's UA745, a 738 departing from LGA to Denver.

"1 Stop. Time on the ground in Denver, CO, US (DEN) is 1 hour 24 minutes. Change Planes. Equipment changes in to a Airbus A319. "

And I don't thing the term is "seemingly or actually arbitrary". We all know it was designed to accomplish something. To create the impression of something that wasn't really there. To fool people. Perhaps in the golden days of passenger air travel there were actually more "direct" flights that just stopped briefly and then continued (with the same aircraft). I have been one one in my entire life. Johannesburg->Cape Town->Ft. Lauderdale (scheduled refueling)->Atlanta.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was originally used in the US when it was a truly direct flight(i.e. no plane change). It has been bastardized over the years but to say it was created to mislead is a misrepresentation of history.

There's also the part where US and everyone else differ in use of the term. Outside the US direct is almost always interchangeable with nonstop.

Pizzaman likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd say that claiming to have service from LGA to PDX (with a stop in DEN) and calling it "direct" was always a misappropriation of the word "direct". Or did the general meaning of that word change over time?

direct_meaning.png

Just because an industry decides, for marketing reasons ("direct" flights appeared higher in search results, right?) , to use the word in a different way doesn't make it right.

But let's leave the past alone, what's done is done.

What's the point today? Why should we let UA get away with claiming that they have direct "shortest way without changing direction or stopping" service from LGA to PDX? Why should we let UA (or really anyone else) get away with bastardizing the language.

How many same-plane "direct flights" does UA have these days? Off the top of my head I can only think of the Island Hopper, and that's really an entirely different beast.

Pretty sure there was no one here that was confused about what Misplaced Texan meant when he talked about direct service between SEA and SFO/LAX.

Attached Files:

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Shuttle markets do not connect hubs for Delta. They are mostly about the O/D traffic between business centers.

No one is going to fly DL from X or Y to SEA or LAX via the other. That's just not an efficient operation.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's not likely the driving factor behind a shuttle operation, but Delta has been building up a regional feeder network for its Seattle hub and I would guess that (or AS) is the best way for people from one of the out stations to get to LAX because there often won't be (m)any direct (nonstop for those who don't speak human English) flights.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That feed was for International traffic, not north-south runs along the coast. Pushing people through the corners doesn't make much sense.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And yet Delta.com happily sells you PSC-SEA-LAX as well as PSC-SLC-LAX. Same price roughly, same distance roughly, same travel time roughly.

Now, I am not saying that the shuttle was added for this, but to say that "no one is going to fly DL" from PSC to LAX via SEA because it isn't an efficient operation just makes little sense to me. Too broad of a statement. How would the fine folks to Pasco travel to LAX, if not by connecting somewhere?

My airport has one non-stop daily flight to LAX. If I can't get a ticket on that regional jet or the timing doesn't work, I am likely going to connect in PDX or SEA or SFO.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Congrats...you fond an example which makes sense. But there are not many. I was speaking more of the Billings, Missoula, Boise and Bozeman routes from SEA. Ex-LAX you've got PHX, LAS, DEN and OAK as "feed" for those north-south trips.

And even if those are great for connecting flow that's still not what the Shuttle is about for Delta.