Were they using duct tape?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw this A320 the other day and the markings on the nose look like someone had used duct tape on it.

[​IMG]

Hoping the aviation experts can verify whether that was the case or if those markings can be attributed to something else.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    "This a320 has climbed Mt. Washington"

Ygor and sdm1130 like this.
  3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a variety of aviation-grade tapes and adhesives out there, so that's probably what it is.

4. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, OK. But it looks like they removed the tape, so what where they taping up in the first place?

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not an aircraft mechanic or anything like that, but most of those types of tapes are silicon based and essentially make a smooth bond with the fuselage so as to create as little extra drag as possible. That picture looks to me (the uneducated and wholly unqualified) to be tape that is bonded to the radar cone, not residue after something was removed. The stuff used on aircraft has very high requirements of quality that come along with something to attach to the outside of a commercial airplane.

6. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The plane felt a little naked, so they made it pasties to make it feel better. :D

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most people call it the nose of the plane, but I guess you can look at it differently ;)

8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bumper stickers...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

N965VJ likes this.
  9. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a UA727 in the early 1990s where we made an emergency landing at ATL flying from MCO-ORD due to a windshield not sealed securely. They used 500-mile/hour duct tape as the temporary fix until we got to ORD. I stopped by the cockpit on the way out & they gave me a piece of it.... yeah, it's strong stuff!

chrislacey likes this.
  10. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back when CO flew the OAK-DEN route, we had just pushed back and were about to being to taxi when I saw the cowling of one of the engines fall off. I rang the flight attendant button; the FA approached my seat, annoyed, but he quickly changed his tune when he realized what had happened. We went back to the gate, and the maintenance people reattached the cowling with speed tape, after which we were on our way .

While we were at the gate being repaired, the pilot gave a detailed explanation of the tape, and offered to let anyone off the plane - no one took him up on the offer.

Flyer1976 and chrislacey like this.